Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

for what it's worth...

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
MALsPa

for what it's worth...

#1 Post by MALsPa »

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: for what it's worth...

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Oh my, have I been a bad boy? :lol:
MiyoLinux wrote:I interpret his response as an attempt to add humor to the thread.
^ This.

Although I was also attempting to make a serious point about the importance of free speech on these boards and how we are all able to speak our minds without fear of censorship or punishment (beyond simple closure of the troublesome thread).
deadbang

MALsPa

#3 Post by MALsPa »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Oh my, have I been a bad boy?
Ha-ha -- No, I don't think so, man. I completely agree with what "MiyoLinux" wrote.

Sadly (to me), I don't think it's uncommon to see comments like this part of what "sgage" wrote about these forums, though:
I have never encountered a more gratuitously user-hostile tech forum than Debian Forums. Even in the Beginners subforum, asking a simple question, even just trying to ask if something is a known issue, opens yourself up for all sorts of abuse, insults, mockery, etc.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

MALsPa wrote:I don't think it's uncommon to see comments like this
Well, it is kinda true :mrgreen:

Anyway, the reputation seems to scare off (most of) the help vampires pretty well so I don't have a problem with that.

The right to free speech does allow some abuse, I think the solution here is to grow a thicker skin but maybe I'm too harsh.
deadbang

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

This is a recurring theme, perpetuated the lazy, thin-skinned and professionally offended types.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=451014#p451014
:lol:
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

MALsPa

#6 Post by MALsPa »

5. Be polite. Remember that the skill level of the forum members ranges from the absolute beginner to the very seasoned Linux user and what might be obvious to you might be very hard to understand for others. It's OK to point someone to other resources or suggest means of learning but do so politely; 'RTFM' has no place on this board.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10653

Lol.

Deb-fan

#7 Post by Deb-fan »

Oops sorry smartphone accident. :p Post below.
Last edited by Deb-fan on 2019-02-11 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Deb-fan wrote:Saying that about Head_on is clearly ridiculous
I really do appreciate the support but I can be a right bastard sometimes, my mental health fluctuates somewhat and when I'm down I tend to lash out.

I'm not proud of it but as the scorpion said: it is my nature...
deadbang

Deb-fan

#9 Post by Deb-fan »

Honestly agree, the Debian forum does have a less than stellar reputation on the interwebz. Think it's more a result of some very dedicated tektarded trolls than a reflection on the forum. Maybe a complaint about user button or something? For review by mods if enough come in on a given user? Really is the job of forum mods/admins to address this type of thing. No doubt know who the worst offenders are and part of the job to keep them in line or otherwise take corrective action if they won't.

Community forum management is a vast skill itself. From identifying and dealing with help vamps to all points in between. The a few bad apples can spoil the bunch thing. A few dedicated trolls left unchecked can hurt any online community. Saying that about Head_on is one such clearly ridiculous but that's how it is. Stupid bitter people don't stop being stupid when they come online. Though stopping a given bad element from crapping up an online community falls on whoever takes on the job. I like a good flame war when it comes to it but sizeable spans of time I've avoided participating here cause of the same techtard, frothing at the mouth trolls, who were supposed to be taking their toys and going to some unfortunate Bsd when systemd got adopted. Come back however long later, nope they're still here plaguing the forum and overtly insulting Debian and the community.

Deb-fan

#10 Post by Deb-fan »

Lmao HOAS, spent as much time/efforts dealing with some of these azz hats as you do. I'd be openly giving death threats.