Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

In 4yrs Debian lost the leadership in the web market

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Danielsan

In 4yrs Debian lost the leadership in the web market

#1 Post by Danielsan »

So eventually with the constant and massive marketing campaigns and with the general and diffuse obsession for the cloud which is leaded by the combo Amazon/Ubuntu, Canonical was able, in lesser than five years, with Ubuntu to take the place as OS Web Server Leader to Debian.
source wrote:Ubuntu 38.1%
Debian 22.6%
Everything was born as joke, it has been happening for a while the sensation that internet is working with poor performance so I went to check it out the stats and I saw that Ubuntu almost doubled Debian... WOW! That explain everything!

Ubuntu 38.5%
Debian 30.9%

Ubuntu 34.7%
Debian 31.9%

Debian 32.5%
Ubuntu 30.5%

Debian 32.1%
Ubuntu 23.9%

Debian 32.7%
Ubuntu 26.7%

While height years ago speaking about Ubuntu as server it was just a joke:

CentOS 31.9%
Debian 27.2%
Red Hat 15.7%
Ubuntu 11.3%

Unfortunately Ubuntu continues to be the same joke as ever if not even worst with its centralized new package system; they stated that they could be perfectly delivered Ubuntu with just snap but we knew that they can't, ironically if Debian falls this will be a serious issue for Ubuntu, totally. However Debian is way more resilient than Ubuntu.

Ubuntu made its time when it was very difficult on Debian install whatever closed binary drivers, but the time Debian was able to install easily any drivers like Ubuntu did, that is the end of Ubuntu as "linux for everyone" and the beginning for Canonical of a series of embarrassing choices that end with the dropping of Unity.

Since the moment Canonical gained some advantage over the other distros tried constantly to create fragmentation to keep its position as Desktop leader while was working to be a real leader in the server market. Which is not good at all, Canonical is one of the lesser reliable company in Linux environment and I really dislike the fact that today just the 22% of internet stuff runs on Debian.
Last edited by Danielsan on 2018-12-21 20:17, edited 1 time in total.

bw123

Re: In 4yrs Debian lost the leadership in the web market

#2 Post by bw123 »

debian suffered because it allowed ubuntu (and others) to pollute it. debian principles were compromised by allowing rogue developers to hijack it, and make it largely irrelevant. I hope things get back on track, the saving grace may be the slowww development in the distribution. If buster is released with no fixes to the many dozens of commonplace issues, with simple fixes reported and available, then I think debian is a dead horse.

On the other hand, who cares about the web market? I just want a distro that sticks to it's guidelines.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Danielsan

#3 Post by Danielsan »

bw123 wrote:On the other hand, who cares about the web market? I just want a distro that sticks to it's guidelines.
I care about the Web Market in the meaning I haven't been concerned about it until I understood that Ubuntu is growing up, I don't trust Ubuntu and even lesser Canonical. Ubuntu is a snapshot of SID with a very arguable system of bug triaging and for a long time Ubuntu not even shared the bugfix with Debian, I am not even sure if they still continues to share the bugfixes with the Debian devs.

Systemd is probably the biggest mistake of Debian, now we are all stick with Linux, while all the worst companies of the world are seated on the Linux board, and for sure none of those care about a cent about the Debian Social Contract and its principles.

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

this is what they betrayed:
Our priorities are our users and free software

We will be guided by the needs of our users and the free software community. We will place their interests first in our priorities. We will support the needs of our users for operation in many different kinds of computing environments.
They confused users and free software for (developers with financial ties to non-free) with users and free software. They are not the same thing. The decision was made to make things easier for devs(of non-free) at the expense of users. Sad decision, no point really in dwelling on what happened, where do we go from here?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

xepan

#5 Post by xepan »

I fully agree with the last two comments.

It is even more sad that i sure can't see any project/distro which could replace what once debian stood for
(to just give another example what was lost : it was one of the very few distros which pointed out at the frontside of their homepage that debian is gnu and linux).

In general i can't say i still care much about what happens to linux, or any of it's distros.

bw123

#6 Post by bw123 »

Sometimes I look up some of these so-called debian developers and debian leaders, and send them some comments. Sometimes I try to punk them and waste their time, sick fantasy... They don't care, they probably get a big fat check every month for their betrayal. Get it right in your mind, debian got sold out, people made money, it's all documented.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#7 Post by None1975 »

bw123 wrote: Get it right in your mind, debian got sold out, people made money, it's all documented.
+1! Well said. It all started with the systemd incorporation. It is sad that Debian did not turn right.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github