Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Were is best place for btrfs support.

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
delina

Were is best place for btrfs support.

#1 Post by delina »

I keep finding problems and see lots of people with the same problems but I can only find a developer site but no site for users of btrfs.

GarryRicketson

Re: Were is best place for btrfs support.

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

Did you really look ?
Were is best place for btrfs support

I think I would start with the wiki: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page
I don't know if this is still valid, or not, https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Talk:Main_Page
Btrfs questions should be directed to the mailing list or IRC, channel #btrfs
Even here, some one might be able to help you but, if you can not or will not be more specific, and clarify what problems, give details, etc, nobody any where will be able to help you. IE:
I keep finding problems and see lots of people with the same problems
Maybe : btrfs support forums
As for which one is best, that would be a matter of opinion, but there are quite a few sites listed

Wheelerof4te

#3 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Which fatures do you need from btrfs? Debian might not be the best distro for it, since only OpenSUSE is pushing for it's adoption.
So, if you really need to use btrfs, go with the best supported OS.

delina

#4 Post by delina »

btrfs looks like a good idea It really needs some gui apps developed for it so people would not be afraid of it. If i am understanding they are trying to get away from partitions. so you just install btrfs on lots of drives and put them in a machine. then you can divide them up and apply raid or not raid make backup areas across the drives as needed. it gets rid of the headache of partition sizes.

the only problem i have is i'm used to picking up a drive and knowing what is on it. with btrfs it just put stuff where it wants to on an array of drives. I really think btrfs is a good idea especially as ssd drives get cheaper people will start using it on them to.

delina

#5 Post by delina »

Ok I will give open suse a try on my test machine and see if they have got better utils for managing this btrfs.

delina

#6 Post by delina »

Well OpenSuse is way further ahead it has GUI tools for handling partition and making btrfs ext4 lvm and other methods. I set up the desktop version of OpenSuse and it is very much improved over how it was years ago when i last used it. It seems pretty nice now and works a lot like Debian does although Debian did not have the gui tools it has.

one think i noticed is it does not give the option to create single. it has the various raids for btrfs but did not offer to join as single.