Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Does a network to network copy hit the hard disk?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Munty Scruntfundle

Does a network to network copy hit the hard disk?

#1 Post by Munty Scruntfundle »

Assuming I have two mounts, both on different NAS drives. If I 'cp' a file from (nas A) to (nas B) does the data hit the local hard drive at all? Or is it all handled in memory?

Reason for asking, I'm thinking of setting up a pi as a backup server, this will take a daily snapshot of my development stuff on one nas and store it on another. I have in the past wrecked an ssd in a couple of weeks with very disk intensive tasks, I don't want to be replacing system images every fortnight.

If the copy does 'stream' through the local drive I'd be better employing a small old pc with a physical disk.

Thanks folks.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Does a network to network copy hit the hard disk?

#2 Post by CwF »

Generally no, the copy should not hit the local disk.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Does a network to network copy hit the hard disk?

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Munty Scruntfundle wrote:If I 'cp' a file from (nas A) to (nas B) does the data hit the local hard drive at all?
Check yourself by using iotop.

Other I/O monitoring programs are available :)
deadbang