Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Opinions about Cinnamon?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Opinions about Cinnamon?

#1 Post by 1885 »

We have a lab of 25+ computers. Teaching and testing.
We were using gnome3 and I decided to switch to Cinnamon.

I like it. It's a bit buggy (Desktop Images )
I believe it requires graphic acceleration.
It's leaner than Gnome3
It has one feature over xfce4 I like (single press ScreenShot)

Please give me you opinion.
Thanks

Wheelerof4te

Re: Opinions about Cinnamon?

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Cinnamon good.
1885 wrote:I believe it requires graphic acceleration.
Yes, it does.
1885 wrote:It's leaner than Gnome3
I don't know your definition of "leaner", but it hogs less RAM than GNOME.
1885 wrote:It has one feature over xfce4 I like (single press ScreenShot)
Not much of a feature I would switch DE for, honestly.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by CwF »

Wheelerof4te wrote:
1885 wrote:It has one feature over xfce4 I like (single press ScreenShot)
Not much of a feature I would switch DE for, honestly.
Definitely not, especial since you could create such a thing in any distro.

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#4 Post by NFT5 »

When you admin multiple computers with various users the prime considerations for a DE need to be simplicity of use and rock solid stability. With 15 machines I was using MATE on Jessie and have been trialling an upgrade to Stretch. When some issues, particularly with the MATE panel in Stretch, became apparent I looked at Cinnamon as an alternative.

The trial with Cinnamon was fairly short but rejected as being subject to the same issues as Gnome and too buggy (as you note). I went on to try XFCE and while that seems much more stable (testing ongoing), setup is much slower and more complicated and there are some difficulties in repeatability of configuration. At this stage the best candidate appears to be XFCE if I can resolve the problem of being able to simply duplicate setup, followed by MATE with limited options to change the DE or running later kernels or MATE versions that are better able to cope with GTK3.

MATE, XFCE and Cinnamon are similar in terms of resource usage, compared to Gnome and KDE and, as noted above, I would consider the screenshot issue to be minor in the bigger picture of usability and stability.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

1885 wrote:We were using gnome3 and I decided to switch to Cinnamon.
[...]
Please give me you opinion.
GNOME is Debian's default desktop and so will be the one that is tested the most, this may result in a less buggy environment.

Disclaimer: I don't use GNOME or Cinnamon.
deadbang

sgage

#6 Post by sgage »

I've tried Cinnamon periodically ever since it first came out. Never cared for it. It alway seemed a bit laggy to me, and aesthetically something about the menu system bugs me. I stick with MATE, with a Plank dock at the bottom of the screen. Mostly these things boil down to personal preferences, I think.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by sunrat »

NFT5 wrote:MATE, XFCE and Cinnamon are similar in terms of resource usage, compared to Gnome and KDE...
You may find KDE these days is much leaner than you'd expect, certainly much leaner than Gnome. Starts at about 400MB on my old system, although more on my other system which has Nvidia driver rather than nouveau.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#8 Post by None1975 »

These thick and greasy environments are totally unnecessary and useless. Personally, I use wm.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

Bulkley

#9 Post by Bulkley »

None1975 wrote:These thick and greasy environments are totally unnecessary and useless.
+1. One would think that students need to know more about Linux than which button to push. Many years ago I was in a lab and the instructor handed each one of us a floppy disk and directed us to install Red Hat 7 (state of the art at the time). We learned about Linux from the ground up.

Wheelerof4te

#10 Post by Wheelerof4te »

None1975 wrote:These thick and greasy environments are totally unnecessary and useless. Personally, I use wm.
I had openbox+tint2 installed and configured, really simple setup. Worked beautifully. Looked really good, even. The problem? I am not the only one who will ever use this laptop.

And no, don't say "just intruct them how to use it". There are heaps of things other people take for granted when using computers and typing some shortcut or clicking right mouse button every time they need to open something reeeally sucks for them.
They would rather (double) click the thing and be done with it. So I run GNOME.

GarryRicketson

#11 Post by GarryRicketson »

I took a look at it once, but did not see anything I liked in fact to me it was rather ugly , maybe not as ugky as gnome, but close, and seemed to cause a headache, I suspect eye strain. My conclusion , unnecessary bloat, not needed , it offers nothing that can not be done just fine without it.
by 1885 » 2019-02-28 08:23
We have a lab of 25+ computers. Teaching and testing.
The students would learn more if they were using a terminal, and learning to use and write scripts to run commands,
t has one feature over xfce4 I like (single press ScreenShot)
Give me a break, that is not any feature, all I need to do is click, 'scrnshot-3', and not only does it take the screen shot, but it creates a thumbnail, and uploads both to a server, the only additional move I need to make enter my password when it uploads, and that could be automated as well, but I prefer to keep it where one must manually enter the correct password,..........you don't need xfce, Cinnamon, or any other Desktop Environment to do that, no wonder the youth now a days seem so ignorant, no body teaches them how to use the commands available, or write scripts that create commands when one is not available, etc,... pathetic.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Post by sunrat »

The OP asked about Cinnamon. Mention of WMs is irrelevant.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!