Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Whats your favorite media player?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
laserbeak43

Whats your favorite media player?

#1 Post by laserbeak43 »

I miss winamp. and rythmbox cant seem to keep a stream open for too long... any suggestions?

sinical

#2 Post by sinical »

Aramok is pretty nifty.
Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Strontium 90.
---------------------------------------------
umop apisdn

Pobega

#3 Post by Pobega »

xmms2

I don't like my music player getting in my way, so I just hotkey it to some keyboard bindings and I forget it's there.
Jabber: pobega@gmail.com
Pronunciation: Poh - Bay - Guh

diego1116

Re: Whats your favorite media player?

#4 Post by diego1116 »

laserbeak43 wrote:I miss winamp. and rythmbox cant seem to keep a stream open for too long... any suggestions?
For streaming, try Audacious. It has a Winamp2 like interface and is pretty fast. Audacious + Streamtuner is a killer combination.

You can always use the good and old "xmms", but it uses GTK1.2 libraries.

I miss Winamp too, but just because of its media library. I've tried many media players, and still have some performance problems with my 15k files library.

Actually, Amarok works fine, but I don't want to use a KDE app in Gnome in in an everyday basis. I still use K3b, but just once a week or something like that and for a short period of time.

I will summarize my experiences:

==> Listen 0.5: very promising, I really liked its interface, but with media library loaded it takes more then 100Mb of RAM.

==> Exaile: its the "Amarok clone for Gnome". Nice app, but with media library loaded it also takes more then 100Mb of RAM.

==> Rhythmbox: it take around 55Mb o RAM, but still lack some features and it doesn't load very fast.

==> Quod Libet: nice player too, but it also takes around 100Mb of RAM and it loads really slow here.

Python media libraries seems to take up too much RAM. All the above programs lack some sort options but will be very good in the future.

The next version o BMPX seems very nice too, I'll try it out when released.

For now, I'm using Audacious + Streamtuner + Rhythmbox (because of memory usage).

My favorite interface is still from Listen and Amarok is more mature and stable than the other media jukeboxes.

PS: I have an Athlon 2600+ Tbread-B with 512Mb of RAM, so the programs should ran fast.

benuski

#5 Post by benuski »

Banshee is my favorite media player. I just switched to KDE, and am trying out their media players, but if I don't find anything i like a lot, I'm definately going back to Banshee.

el_ricardo

#6 Post by el_ricardo »

amarok, without a doubt, I have no problem running it in gnome

its fast, the media library isn't intrusive to your music folders, it comes with a lastfm plugin, it can burn playlsts using k3b, and the wikipedia artist search is damn cool
-< r i c a r d o >-

chealer

#7 Post by chealer »

Amarok.
See http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... p?t=514978 for more options (the "s" being optional :) ).

<(DmC)>

#8 Post by <(DmC)> »

yo, it used to be xmms with and because of all the coola plugins (osd, crossover-fade, voice-removal, etc)... then i switched to rhythmbox for a reason that i don't even remember, and i am still not really happy with it, so i will now try out amarok after reading this post. :wink:

EDIT: it's about 15 minutes later and i just uninstalled rhythmbox... :) amarok seems nice indeed.
The moribund <(DmC)> salutes you
Highest excellence is like water.
The virtue of water appears in its benefiting all things,
and in its occupying, without striving,
the low place which all men dislike.

thamarok

#9 Post by thamarok »

I miss Windows Media Player and Winamp because of the cool visualizations.. the only media player with some kind of visualization is Xine, but it has the "goom" visualization only, and I would really like to have some more .. :cry:

ben

#10 Post by ben »

My favorites are:

Audacious
VideoLAN Client
MPlayer
Banshee
TV-Time

cothrige

#11 Post by cothrige »

I like MPD (Music Player Daemon). It is very flexible and has a bunch of clients available to access it. These range from the pure CLI of mpc to gmpc, the Gnome client offering spiffy notification area operation with an OSD and album art viewers, ala Amarok. But, unlike Amarok, since it is not tied into X I can kill my session and not lose what is playing. So far, I have found nothing to outperform it.

Patrick

Dargor

#12 Post by Dargor »

I like juk because i can easily load my music archive and set it to play random albums, i have no need for play lists.
I'm not sure about how much ram juk's using, but should be noted that most apps will be using shared libs so your media player may be using 100mb of ram total, but 90mb of that may also be used by everything else in the desktop.

DeanLinkous

#13 Post by DeanLinkous »

audacious/xmms

Jackiebrown

#14 Post by Jackiebrown »

It's not the best solution but it seems to work with wine

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=2723

I can't test it since I am musically retarded and have not a single song.

laserbeak43

#15 Post by laserbeak43 »

woah!!! no idea there were so many options. i'll have to check most of em out. amarok streamthinger. got it!! :D

laserbeak43

#16 Post by laserbeak43 »

holy crap i gotta download 110 megs of files. amarok better be good!!!

ghostdawg

#17 Post by ghostdawg »

xmms. I also like juk but don't have it installed.
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb

e1even1

#18 Post by e1even1 »

i was a real reealplayer fan, from forever til etch where it seems to be borked on my system and i haven't had time to fix it.

so i started using KMPlayer and i'm sure glad i did. it opens all of my realplayer .pls playlists and comes with bookmark radio streams from all over. it uses xine, mplayer, or gstreamer backends.

i dont need realplayer anymore.

KMPlayer.

thamarok

#19 Post by thamarok »

For the record: The newest Winamp doesn't run under Wine. But it does run under CrossOver Pro 6.01, but even there it doesn't function properly..

morax

#20 Post by morax »

Since I rarely watch videos and listen mostly to music, I must say that XMMS is my favorite media player.