Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Whats your favorite media player?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
laserbeak43

#16 Post by laserbeak43 »

holy crap i gotta download 110 megs of files. amarok better be good!!!

ghostdawg

#17 Post by ghostdawg »

xmms. I also like juk but don't have it installed.
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb

e1even1

#18 Post by e1even1 »

i was a real reealplayer fan, from forever til etch where it seems to be borked on my system and i haven't had time to fix it.

so i started using KMPlayer and i'm sure glad i did. it opens all of my realplayer .pls playlists and comes with bookmark radio streams from all over. it uses xine, mplayer, or gstreamer backends.

i dont need realplayer anymore.

KMPlayer.

thamarok

#19 Post by thamarok »

For the record: The newest Winamp doesn't run under Wine. But it does run under CrossOver Pro 6.01, but even there it doesn't function properly..

morax

#20 Post by morax »

Since I rarely watch videos and listen mostly to music, I must say that XMMS is my favorite media player.

Pobega

#21 Post by Pobega »

thamarok wrote:For the record: The newest Winamp doesn't run under Wine. But it does run under CrossOver Pro 6.01, but even there it doesn't function properly..
Why would you bother trying to use a compatability layer to listen to music? Obviously we all miss WinAmp, but there really is no need to waste your computer's power just to use it over XMMS. But then again, we're all free to run our computers however we want.
Jabber: pobega@gmail.com
Pronunciation: Poh - Bay - Guh

laserbeak43

#22 Post by laserbeak43 »

Pobega wrote:
thamarok wrote:For the record: The newest Winamp doesn't run under Wine. But it does run under CrossOver Pro 6.01, but even there it doesn't function properly..
Why would you bother trying to use a compatability layer to listen to music? Obviously we all miss WinAmp, but there really is no need to waste your computer's power just to use it over XMMS. But then again, we're all free to run our computers however we want.
P3 700mhz
128mb ram

cant afford to run the comp the way i like :?

thamarok

#23 Post by thamarok »

Pobega wrote:Why would you bother trying to use a compatability layer to listen to music?
Tell me even one native Linux media player which features visualizations. But note, that with visualizations, I mean those like in Windows Media Player or Winamp, with lots of colors, etc.. Not fftscope! Also, Xine is the only media player for Linux which I know that features a colorful visualization, but obviously its "goom" visualization isn't enough for me; I want 10 different visualizations atleast!

DeanLinkous

#24 Post by DeanLinkous »

tell me just ONE media player that makes coffee, not decaf mind you but real coffee
since coffee is required to enjoy music afterall

Does winamp have visualizations if so then I wonder if they would work with xmms since I know the skins work. But honestly I do not know why you want to use resources to show visualizations. Do you sit and actually watch the visulaizations while listening to music?

<(DmC)>

#25 Post by <(DmC)> »

thamarok wrote:but obviously its "goom" visualization isn't enough for me; I want 10 different visualizations atleast!
just out of curiousity: what do you want them for? do you really sit down, listen to music and watch the pretty colours changing their shape on your screen?
don't get me wrong, it's neat if you like that, but i (for my part) have never found any thrill in pursueing these kind of activities.
maybe if we linked this to the forum-logo thread (http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=14095), we could use acid as a reason to be wanting visualizations :lol:
so long,
The moribund <(DmC)> salutes you
Highest excellence is like water.
The virtue of water appears in its benefiting all things,
and in its occupying, without striving,
the low place which all men dislike.

diego1116

#26 Post by diego1116 »

I think I found my new media library solution: MPD + Gmpc. I will keep using Audacious + Streamtuner combination though.

I've never tried MPD before because I didn't want any server/client stuff, but just ONE program to rule them all...

But MPD has some advantages. It scanned my library really fast, it is lightweight and you can close or restart X without affecting your playback.

MPD has some nice clients for both console and X.

My client of choice for now is Gmpc, because it has a nice interface, good plugins, takes up around 20Mb of memory and it's being actively developed.

Links:

http://www.musicpd.org/
http://sarine.nl/gmpc/
http://sarine.nl/gmpc-screenshots

Edit 1: just corrected spelling
Last edited by diego1116 on 2007-04-20 23:59, edited 1 time in total.

Pobega

#27 Post by Pobega »

thamarok wrote:
Pobega wrote:Why would you bother trying to use a compatability layer to listen to music?
Tell me even one native Linux media player which features visualizations. But note, that with visualizations, I mean those like in Windows Media Player or Winamp, with lots of colors, etc.. Not fftscope! Also, Xine is the only media player for Linux which I know that features a colorful visualization, but obviously its "goom" visualization isn't enough for me; I want 10 different visualizations atleast!
Hm, I don't see the point in the visualizations, but if you need them to listen to music I get your point.
Jabber: pobega@gmail.com
Pronunciation: Poh - Bay - Guh

land0

Amarok

#28 Post by land0 »

Raises hand in the air for Amarok

Kerr

#29 Post by Kerr »

Quod Libet

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#30 Post by Lavene »

thamarok wrote:Tell me even one native Linux media player which features visualizations.
Kaffeine

Kerr

#31 Post by Kerr »

Lavene wrote:
thamarok wrote:Tell me even one native Linux media player which features visualizations.
Kaffeine
Isn't that just a KDE-Front for Xine?

tribalero

#32 Post by tribalero »

Audacious 8)