Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Kubuntu Feisty and Debian Etch

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
coxy

Kubuntu Feisty and Debian Etch

#1 Post by coxy »

Good afternoon all, just thought I would comment on how much I have been impressed with Etch. I have had two servers running Sarge for the past 18 months or so. I have had no issues with them at all! Very very pleased overall.

With the release of Etch I decided to flatten my web server and install a fresh version of the latest stable release. All went well and I was back up and running within an hour, all data included. Then it occurred to me that I could have just done an upgrade, doh! I will be doing that with my file server shortly once I have covered off exactly how to do this? If anyone can tell me here then it would be appreciated.

I have also attempted an install on my laptop but it failed miserably with the net install :cry: My wired network card simply will not work. I have made the choice to stick with Kubuntu now and intend on building it from the ground up with the Feisty release; including the none Kubuntu core version of KDE. Hopefully that will go well!

As for Etch on my desktop, simply brilliant! I need say no more than that.

Loomer27

#2 Post by Loomer27 »

I just upgraded Sarge 2.4 to Etch 2.6 with no problems.

After lots of attempts with kernel panics and other wise unbootable systems or etch not seeing dvd at install or my RAID 5 hardware array/controller not being seen the following finally worked:

1. Install Sarge 2.4(default)
2. Upgrade to 686-smp kernel(optional, I have Dual Xeon CPUs and 2GB RAM)
3. Change /etc/apt/sources.list deb ftp://ftp.xx.debian.org/debian sarge(change sarge to etch) xx is country-code for nearest mirror (i.e. UK)
4. apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
5. apt-get install linux-image-2.6... when you do this you get a scary message saying are you sure you want to remove kernel that is running [no] default. I hit yes and then after a reboot I had a fully functioning etch 2.6 server. When I did the same thing before and said no and system wouldn't boot. As long as you have a good backup I would be confident that there no problems.

Hope that helps

swirling_vortex

#3 Post by swirling_vortex »

What happened when you tried to run the netinstall?

coxy

#4 Post by coxy »

Everything starts up fine, the installer picks up both my firewire (which the latest Ubuntu release still fails to do) and wired networking device without an issue. When the network attempts to configure itself the DHCP server does not communicate and it fails. DHCP is working. If I try to manually configure it I can move on but then the repo scan fails.

It is strange, my wireless networking device works without issue in Ubuntu because it's Linux drivers are better than the Windows driver. I am guessing if I could get to the repos and install the relevant wireless package then I would be away.

Pobega

#5 Post by Pobega »

Use an ethernet, not wireless; Most wireless drivers are proprietary, and even though Ubuntu includes them by default Debian does not. You'll most likely have to use a wired connection to gain access to the internet, then install the wireless firmware/modules/drivers later.
Jabber: pobega@gmail.com
Pronunciation: Poh - Bay - Guh

pcalvert

Re: Kubuntu Feisty and Debian Etch

#6 Post by pcalvert »

coxy wrote: With the release of Etch I decided to flatten my web server and install a fresh version of the latest stable release. All went well and I was back up and running within an hour, all data included. Then it occurred to me that I could have just done an upgrade, doh!
There's nothing wrong with that. I think that formatting and doing a clean install now and then is a good practice. And what better time to do it than when there's a new release?

Phil

chealer

Re: Kubuntu Feisty and Debian Etch

#7 Post by chealer »

coxy wrote:I will be doing that with my file server shortly once I have covered off exactly how to do this? If anyone can tell me here then it would be appreciated.
Consult the release notes.

coxy

#8 Post by coxy »

It is my wired card that fails for some reason. I will have a good look around and see what information I can find.

Thanks.