Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

which Debian do you use most often?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

which Debian do you use most often?

Unstable / Sid
11%
Testing / Buster
34%
Stable / Stretch
51%
OldStable / Jessie
2%
Wheezy
2%
Squeeze
No votes
Lenny, Etch, Sarge, Woody ...
No votes

Total votes: 53

Danielsan

Re: which Debian do you use most often?

#16 Post by Danielsan »

Franken Debian forever! :twisted:

trinidad

#17 Post by trinidad »

Stable only, server and desktop, and I always wait a month or two before dist upgrades. Not an old stick in the mud, I just hate problems. Nothing is more stable than Debian stable.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

debian-2019

#18 Post by debian-2019 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:...
debian-2019 wrote:I started to experience issues due to old kernel or old packages incompatible with newer devices I'm using
https://backports.debian.org/

And thank you for proving kedeha's point :mrgreen:
It says there:
"Backports cannot be tested as extensively as Debian stable, and backports are provided on an as-is basis, with risk of incompatibilities with other components in Debian stable. Use with care!"
It sounds to me like getting the same risk (more or less) as going all the way to sid. But thanks for that tip. I'm sure I will explore that option in the future.

Regarding kedeha's point, it is true in my case because there is a justifiable reason why I tried Debian in the first place. I did experience issues in Linux Mint due to problems which originated in Ubuntu. I'm trying to avoid Ubuntu problems by going straight to Debian. But the stable Debian has limitations which renders some of my devices unusable. Don't you think it is just practical to go with the more up-to-date testing version of Debian? As I pointed out, the stable version of Ubuntu is based on sid.

Bulkley

#19 Post by Bulkley »

debian-2019 wrote:Don't you think it is just practical to go with the more up-to-date testing version of Debian?
No.
As I pointed out, the stable version of Ubuntu is based on sid.
"Based on" is not the same as "is." Other distributions apply their own rules which may or may not have any relation to Debian.

Head_on_a_Stick

#20 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

debian-2019 wrote:It says there:
"Backports cannot be tested as extensively as Debian stable, and backports are provided on an as-is basis, with risk of incompatibilities with other components in Debian stable. Use with care!"
It sounds to me like getting the same risk (more or less) as going all the way to sid.
Not really, the packages in sid haven't been tested at all — you are the guinea pig (thanks!)
debian-2019 wrote:Don't you think it is just practical to go with the more up-to-date testing version of Debian?
No, testing can be less reliable than sid because the package migration is delayed by 10-14 days so if stuff is broken then it can stay broken for a few weeks whereas sid gets the fixes from upstream straight away.

The Security Team don't cover testing/unstable at all so this can make testing rather vulnerable, mine was open the the MDS vulnerability ("zombieload") for a while.

And the API changes can break configurations and force you to keep updating them, which is a pain.
deadbang

debian-2019

#21 Post by debian-2019 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
debian-2019 wrote:...
No, testing can be less reliable than sid because the package migration is delayed by 10-14 days so if stuff is broken then it can stay broken for a few weeks whereas sid gets the fixes from upstream straight away.

The Security Team don't cover testing/unstable at all so this can make testing rather vulnerable, mine was open the the MDS vulnerability ("zombieload") for a while.

And the API changes can break configurations and force you to keep updating them, which is a pain.
Forgive me for a very newbie question, but the weekly and daily builds are the sid versions, right? And the RC the testing versions?

Head_on_a_Stick

#22 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

If you're referring to the ISO images then the weekly & daily builds have versions for all of the branches.

The RC1 image is to test the release candidate of the installer for the next Debian stable version.
deadbang

debian-2019

#23 Post by debian-2019 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:If you're referring to the ISO images then the weekly & daily builds have versions for all of the branches.

The RC1 image is to test the release candidate of the installer for the next Debian stable version.
Oh my...thanks for making that clear to me now. I may have to go stable version next time and just do the backport thing for unsupported devices. :D

Bulkley

#24 Post by Bulkley »

debian-2019 wrote:Oh my...thanks for making that clear to me now. I may have to go stable version next time and just do the backport thing for unsupported devices. :D
Many unsupported devices simply need a non-free blob. Add non-free to your sources.list file. Like this:

Code: Select all

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
If you know this already, ignore me.

vbrummond

#25 Post by vbrummond »

I always run latest testing. My interest in Linux is mostly a curiosity at this point. Debian is still nice though. It hasn't changed much in the last decade.
Always on Debian Testing

sickpig

#26 Post by sickpig »

vbrummond wrote:I always run latest testing. My interest in Linux is mostly a curiosity at this point. Debian is still nice though. It hasn't changed much in the last decade.
were u curious for the entire last decade :roll: since u created ur forum account here?

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#27 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

I lost the time and inclination for the "life of eternal upgrades" so it's stable for me.
Currently have a couple of buster boxen for planning and testing purposes and still rocking a wheezy and also squeeze server in specific roles that are still doing their jobs.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

vbrummond

#28 Post by vbrummond »

sickpig wrote:
vbrummond wrote:I always run latest testing. My interest in Linux is mostly a curiosity at this point. Debian is still nice though. It hasn't changed much in the last decade.
were u curious for the entire last decade :roll: since u created ur forum account here?
I used to be an open source contributor, a mod here, and am a certified Linux admin. :roll:

Linux is still great and the Debian project is really amazing, of course I keep up with it.
Always on Debian Testing

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#29 Post by 4D696B65 »

Nice to see you vb :D

sickpig

#30 Post by sickpig »

4D696B65 wrote:Nice to see you vb :D
+1

vbrummond

#31 Post by vbrummond »

I pop in from time to time I mostly lurk. Glad to be back. Thanks for the welcome.
Always on Debian Testing

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#32 Post by sunrat »

I'm a Fake Debian User as well. I use siduction and have used it and predecessors for 11 years now. siduction is sid with a custom kernel and a few nifty tools added.
I swore I was going to switch to Buster and have it installed in multi-boot and running sweetly, but KDE Plasma 5.15 is still nicer than Buster's 5.12 so I haven't been able to drag myself away. Haven't had a major upgrade issue for years, although a small glitch when Nvidia drivers wouldn't build with the new 5.0 kernel took about 10 minutes to fix using siduction's own build of updated driver.
A life of eternal upgrades ain't so bad, I almost look forward to it as a weekly ritual. :D
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

KBD47

#33 Post by KBD47 »

I picked Stretch, but also using Buster as it's nearing new Stable.

Head_on_a_Stick

#34 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

vbrummond wrote:I used to be an open source contributor, a mod here, and am a certified Linux admin.
Thanks for all of your efforts vbrummond, they are very much appreciated :)
deadbang

sjukfan

#35 Post by sjukfan »

Three pc on testing, and two powerpc on Sid.
Bullseye amd64, AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Buster amd64, Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3
Sid ppc, PowerPC 7447a
Sid ppc64, PowerPC 970FX