Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How do I update Ruby from 2.3.3 to 2.5.0?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
jaytelford

How do I update Ruby from 2.3.3 to 2.5.0?

#1 Post by jaytelford »

I am trying to update my ruby gems on Debian 9.9, but every time I do attempt to, I get the following error.

Code: Select all

Updating installed gems
Updating did_you_mean
ERROR:  Error installing did_you_mean:
	There are no versions of did_you_mean (= 1.3.0) compatible with your Ruby & RubyGems
	did_you_mean requires Ruby version >= 2.5.0. The current ruby version is 2.3.3.222.
Gems updated: did_you_mean
I have tried to install the latest ruby version by doing sudo apt install ruby but the latest version (2.3.3) is already installed. I have tried to specify the version, but that didn't work either. is there any way at all that I can get the latest ruby version, without using version managers or 3rd party PPAs?

ruwolf

Re: How do I update Ruby from 2.3.3 to 2.5.0?

#2 Post by ruwolf »

Debian 10 (currently stable) has Ruby 2.5.1...

jaytelford

#3 Post by jaytelford »

ruwolf wrote:Debian 10 (currently stable) has Ruby 2.5.1...
Thanks, I have updated and everything is working again.

trinidad

#4 Post by trinidad »

ruby 2.5.1p57 (2018-03-29 revision 63029) [x86_64-linux] is the current "full" version package for both stable (Deb 10) and oldstable (Deb 9) You may want to update rvm as well if you are now on stable as there are some newer code implementations See the link below.

https://tecadmin.net/install-ruby-on-debian/

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

ssksmith

#5 Post by ssksmith »

jaytelford wrote:I am trying to update my ruby gems on Debian 9.9, but every time I do attempt to, I get the following error.

Code: Select all

Updating installed gems
Updating did_you_mean
ERROR:  Error installing did_you_mean:
	There are no versions of did_you_mean (= 1.3.0) compatible with your Ruby & RubyGems
	did_you_mean requires Ruby version >= 2.5.0. The current ruby version is 2.3.3.222.
Gems updated: did_you_mean
I have tried to install the latest ruby version by doing sudo apt install ruby but the latest version (2.3.3) is already installed. I have tried to specify the version, but that didn't work either. is there any way at all that I can get the latest ruby version, without using version managers or 3rd party PPAs?
Hi buddy, did you update version and got any positive result?

Regards,
Ssk Smith