Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Thank you Debian and Debian team.

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
toxicspiritssssss

Thank you Debian and Debian team.

#1 Post by toxicspiritssssss »

I just want to extend a small token of appreciation to Debian and the team working behind the scenes. I hope this is the right place. :D

I switched from Windows to Linux almost 1.5 years ago. Since then I've tried many popular Linux distributions out there. Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, you name it and I've tried it.

After doing a lot of distro hopping, I decided to settle down with LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) and I used it for a long period of time. Since Ubuntu, LMDE all were based on Debian, I thought why not give Debian try, Created a live USB with persistence. Used it for 2-3 weeks and it won my heart. I immediately installed Debian in place of LMDE and it's my daily driver now since past few months.

I was a bit hesitant at first to be honest cuz I read at many places that Debian has old packages. But it doesn't matter now. I don't mind using a bit older package as long as it doesn't compromise the overall stability.
"...old but not obsolete,"
-Arnold Schwarzenegger, Terminator Genisys

Debian works flawlessly on my average hardware. I love the extensive customization options that come with KDE. In fact, contrary to popular beliefs, KDE feels a lot lighter and faster as compared to GNOME :mrgreen: . The forum is extremely helpful and I've come across some great knowledgeable people who have helped me previously. :D
People keep saying Debian has a steeper learning curve which isn't true according to me. Coming from an Windows background, Debian wasn't much difficult to learn.

To any person who wants a stable and versatile Linux distribution, go with Debian without any second thought.

The best linux distro for me. Eagerly waiting for Debian 11(stable) to release. Thank you Debian and community once again. :mrgreen:

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Thank you Debian and Debian team.

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

toxicspiritssssss wrote:I hope this is the right place
Not really, this is a user forum. We don't get any developers here (AFAIK).
deadbang

toxicspiritssssss

#3 Post by toxicspiritssssss »

Ahh damn. My bad. I thought developers might be checking out the forums occasionally. But anyways, I didn't put up that post only to thank the developers. I wanted to thank the whole Debian community and it's user base. :D

On a side note, @Head_on_a_stick you along with few other forum members are like legends outs here. Tremendous respect for y'all. :mrgreen:

Deb-fan

#4 Post by Deb-fan »

Well meant and what's the harm, this is as good a place as any to express gratitude. People officially associated with Debian in whatever capacity, including devs probably do pop onto this forum. So add another thanks for all you people do to keep Debian gnu/Linux going from me too. :)
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

kedaha

#5 Post by kedaha »

toxicspiritssssss wrote:I just want to extend a small token of appreciation to Debian and the team working behind the scenes.
I'll second that.
toxicspiritssssss wrote: I hope this is the right place. :D
Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Not really, this is a user forum. We don't get any developers here (AFAIK).
True but we do get quite a lot of new folk here who use the developmental distributions, testing and sid, and I take my hat off :wink: to these intrepid users since I've always stuck—perhaps boringly—to tried and tested stable.
toxicspiritssssss wrote: I was a bit hesitant at first to be honest cuz I read at many places that Debian has old packages. But it doesn't matter now. I don't mind using a bit older package as long as it doesn't compromise the overall stability.
Using stable is absolutely essential for a production server. For a desktop system stable is also the best choice together with a few backports either official or custom made for more recent software.
Last but not least I'd like to extend thanks here to stevepusser for his multimedia repository. See this forum topic.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.