Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Why is Chrome not asking for keyring again, security issue?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
debian121212

Why is Chrome not asking for keyring again, security issue?

#1 Post by debian121212 »

Chrome stable for debian just not asking for Unlock Keyring Password prompt. I restarted the PC and still is not asking. It used to ask every time the first time I tried to use chrome but now out of nowhere, its not asking anymore. Security breach??

Deb-fan

Re: Why is Chrome not asking for keyring again, security iss

#2 Post by Deb-fan »

You shouldn't have to enter a password to launch a web browser, DO NOT run a web browser with elevated privileges, as sudo or root. It's a bad idea. World won't stop spinning but its still bad and best not doing it. :)
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

debian121212

#3 Post by debian121212 »

Chrome is asking for gnome key ring and you say its not a great idea all together, yet chrome best handles multimedia so I'm forced to use it when other browsers are failing to open flash. I also use Firefox and Chromium on the side. Sometimes flash wont work on different browsers.

You know if asking for gnome key ring stopping and then not reactivating right away (it came back after some time) can be a security issue as I did? I need to use chrome, so i need to be able to dictate when it asks for gnome keyring. Would be nice if anyone had some answer as to how to change this however I couldn't really find on the net. Ill have to continue to page 5 of results then or contact Google or a different forum

cuckooflew

#4 Post by cuckooflew »

Considering that Google Chrome is not even in the Debian repositories, that would probably be best.
https://support.google.com/

Also, if you are really actually using "Flash", A Security breach??, is a very possible reality.
This is "old news" but I guess there still are some people that do not know about the security issues involved with Flash, https://lifehacker.com/you-really-shoul ... 1829721122
We’re in the last few months of 2018, and Adobe Flash’s expiration date feels just within reach. That’s not just wishful thinking, either—Adobe has stated it will officially end support for the ailing web plugin in 2020.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Flash does work fine in Chromium and Firefox, it just has to be installed correctly. I'll be the first to dance on its grave when it dies and I don't have to maintain these updates, though.

http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/non-free ... ashplugin/

Usually we have people asking how not to have that password popup annoy them on MX, though. I'm pretty sure the trick is to enter a empty password the first time it comes up, and then you never see it again. I have all those browsers, and haven't seen the popup for so long, I've sort of forgotten.
MX Linux packager and developer

Zjho

#6 Post by Zjho »

Assuming Gnome desktop is running, it is worth checking latest version of following two Gnome keyring packages are installed and latest version :
seahorse, seahorse-daemon.
Personally found these buggy in the past, constantly re-asking for password so as already mentioned used the empty password method when on Gnome. Am running another desktop now.

sgosnell

#7 Post by sgosnell »

AFAIK Chrome only asks for the keyring password if you use a master password for it. So it wants to store that password in the keyring. If you remove the Chrome master password, you should remove the need for it to ask. I don't know what changes you might have made on your system.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#8 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Edit the chrome/chromium launcher/menu entry like this:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/chromium %U --password-store=basic
This is a very old and well known trick which just does the job.
... and use Chromium, not Chrome... - to save your soul... ;)
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed