User wanting to improve knowledge?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

User wanting to improve knowledge?

Postby MultiplexLayout » 2020-09-23 20:02

Hi, everyone.

I have been using Debian for ~9 months now and, while I consider myself reasonably competent with it, I am looking to take my ability to the next level. I'm currently researching the switch to a testing branch to get a more in-depth intuition on how the OS works and maybe one day becoming a contributor but I had some questions:

Where can I find information on fixing broken dependency chains when they happen? All the search results bring up fixing broken dependencies in the package manager.

Users of testing branches: What's the worst problem you have had, what went wrong and how did you fix it?

If I installed proprietary nvidia drivers from buster-backports, and a newer version is listed in the bullseye package database, can I delete the buster-backports line from sources.list?

Thanks.
MultiplexLayout

Re: User wanting to improve knowledge?

Postby sickpig » 2020-09-24 23:12

MultiplexLayout wrote:I have been using Debian for ~9 months now and, while I consider myself reasonably competent with it, I am looking to take my ability to the next level. I'm currently researching the switch to a testing branch to get a more in-depth intuition on how the OS works and maybe one day becoming a contributor but I had some questions:

Why would testing give you a "more in-depth intuition on how the OS works"? It will just expose you to packages which have more outstanding bugs.

ref - https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting - "Compared to stable and unstable, next-stable testing has the worst security update speed. Don't prefer testing if security is a concern."

ref https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases - "Testing is recommended for advanced users who want new software on their desktops and who are capable of reporting and fixing bugs to help Debian. "

If your aim is to report and fix bugs at the cost of security then it makes sense. But using a system more prone to breakage to learn more about it is I guess one way to go about achieving your aim.
sickpig

Return to General Discussion