Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

User wanting to improve knowledge?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
MultiplexLayout

User wanting to improve knowledge?

#1 Post by MultiplexLayout »

Hi, everyone.

I have been using Debian for ~9 months now and, while I consider myself reasonably competent with it, I am looking to take my ability to the next level. I'm currently researching the switch to a testing branch to get a more in-depth intuition on how the OS works and maybe one day becoming a contributor but I had some questions:

Where can I find information on fixing broken dependency chains when they happen? All the search results bring up fixing broken dependencies in the package manager.

Users of testing branches: What's the worst problem you have had, what went wrong and how did you fix it?

If I installed proprietary nvidia drivers from buster-backports, and a newer version is listed in the bullseye package database, can I delete the buster-backports line from sources.list?

Thanks.

sickpig

Re: User wanting to improve knowledge?

#2 Post by sickpig »

MultiplexLayout wrote:I have been using Debian for ~9 months now and, while I consider myself reasonably competent with it, I am looking to take my ability to the next level. I'm currently researching the switch to a testing branch to get a more in-depth intuition on how the OS works and maybe one day becoming a contributor but I had some questions:
Why would testing give you a "more in-depth intuition on how the OS works"? It will just expose you to packages which have more outstanding bugs.

ref - https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting - "Compared to stable and unstable, next-stable testing has the worst security update speed. Don't prefer testing if security is a concern."

ref https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases - "Testing is recommended for advanced users who want new software on their desktops and who are capable of reporting and fixing bugs to help Debian. "

If your aim is to report and fix bugs at the cost of security then it makes sense. But using a system more prone to breakage to learn more about it is I guess one way to go about achieving your aim.