Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to keep LO "language packs" out of apt upgrade list?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
este.el.paz

How to keep LO "language packs" out of apt upgrade list?

#1 Post by este.el.paz »

Folks:

Just for kicks I booted up my new persistent live drive of Debian Bullseye and I just wanted to "upgrade" the system, so I ran an "apt" and it showed a bunch of "LibreOffice language packs" and LO "help" in different languages . . . . These days I only speak one language, so do I need to fill my usb drive with languages . . . ??? Is there a way to run "apt" without accepting all of the packages they show??

Here's why I'm asking . . . over in my desktop I have a new-ish bare metal install of Debian testing, and I had the same problem the other day, I just blithely ran apt and while it was installing I started seeing these packages with "libreoffice x x x x -de" and various such "suffixes" indicating languages. I thought it was because I had inadvertently hit the "language packages" icon on the Debian desktop, which automatically opened a terminal like window and started loading the languages . . . at that time I just quit the app to stop it. But then, a couple days later all those packages showed up, and I had to go into Synaptic and searching "libreoffice" showed all approx. 467 language/help packages and I manually went through and "marked for complete removal" . . . didn't know any "batch" way to remove them . . . w/o it being "scorched earth."

So, back over here in the laptop, booted up in persistent state . . . seems like apt wants to add all of the many languages in, even though I didn't ask for them . . . is there a way to "remove the request for international communication"???? before running apt, or, I'd have to do it the way I did it recently . . . install them, then go into Synaptic and remove them??? I don't want to remove "English" or "Merican" . . . but no need to have all of the planetary communications in my usb persistent state drive . . . .

thanks.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: How to keep LO "language packs" out of apt upgrade list?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Can you remove the l10n packages?

Code: Select all

# apt purge 'libreoffice-l10n-*'
Or use 'aptitude hold $package' to stop it being upgraded thereafter (replace $package with the actual name(s) of the package(s)).
deadbang

este.el.paz

Re: How to keep LO "language packs" out of apt upgrade list?

#3 Post by este.el.paz »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Can you remove the l10n packages?

Code: Select all

# apt purge 'libreoffice-l10n-*'
Or use 'aptitude hold $package' to stop it being upgraded thereafter (replace $package with the actual name(s) of the package(s)).
@H_o_a_S:

Thanks for the reply . . . in the case of the persistent drive edition, I didn't run the update so no packages are installed, because I didn't want to "manually" pick it clean like I did in the desktop edition . . . . But I guess I could try that "hold package" command . . . the problem is that each language has their own package name, each is a "line item" in the install, etc. In the case of the desktop I have a little more disk space to play with than I do in the usb drive, trying to save space where I can . . . but, it's a lot of packages to cover all of the languages offered in Debian . . . .

If I get a few minutes I might see if I can uncheck the packages in synaptic . . . see what happens. Back in '12 when I joined this forum it seemed like Debian users were people who only wanted "MBs" for running the basic system, rather than "GBs" . . . and no room for "fat" . . . they only ate "lean" . . . nothing that wasn't needed except "skeleton crew" . . . . ??? : - )))))