Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

broken packages

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
buckley

broken packages

#1 Post by buckley »

hi
What exactly are broken packages? I´m trying to install apache on debian and get this message every time.Is it something to do with my debian set up or to do with the incoming data?

Thanx
Rob

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

It has to do something with the state of the packages. 'Broken packages' means, for example, that one or more of the packages to be installed are depend on packages which are not in the package database.
Normally, this should not happen, however, using some unofficial packages and removing their URL from the sources.list file may have this effect.
If you get this message, it usually means that:
- dpkg was interrupted somehow during installing or removing a package. In this case, 'apt-get -f install' may help.
- some package sources were moved from the sources.list, and the remaining sources doesn't provide a package which is needed by an unofficial package

#3 Post by Guest »

a ha!
so that means i have to have new sources to enable me to install apache.
if i understand that correctly!!?

Rob

it worked

#4 Post by Guest »

thanx for the advice.
ive managed to install apache now.
cheers
Rob

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#5 Post by Jeroen »

Or it can simply be that unstable is broken at the moment, and a package is not installeable.