Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Aptitude vs Apt-Get

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
plugwash

#31 Post by plugwash »

rickh wrote:
Think about this. There is no equivalent in aptitude for apt-get's -f option? Why? That's easy. The need never arises.
So what happens if a package's postinst fails while packages that depend on the new version of it are still in the half installed state?

BioTube

#32 Post by BioTube »

Like what happens if you like most of your metapackage: you're screwed.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

rickh

#33 Post by rickh »

So what happens if a package's postinst fails while packages that depend on the new version of it are still in the half installed state?
If it doesn't finish, nothing is installed. As nearly as I've been able to observe, everything is just cleanly backed out.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

plugwash

#34 Post by plugwash »

just got to find a way to get it into a situation it can't back out of.

doing a dist-upgrade to lenny with a 2.4 kernel installed is probablly a good way to provoke it ;)

BioTube

#35 Post by BioTube »

Or, if you really want to cause some trouble, use a 2.2 kernel.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

penpen

#36 Post by penpen »

BioTube wrote:Or, if you really want to cause some trouble, use a 2.2 kernel.
hell, hunt down a copy of the 0.0.1 kernel, wasn't it posted recently for historical reasons?

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#37 Post by mzilikazi »

rickh wrote:
Think about this. There is no equivalent in aptitude for apt-get's -f option? Why? That's easy. The need never arises.
But there is an equivalent:

Code: Select all

man aptitude
/snip/

-f     Aggressively try to fix dependencies of broken packages.

Configuration Item: Aptitude::CmdLine::Fix-Broken
Use dpkg to install a single .deb that has some unfulfilled deps. Then you'll be glad you have apt-get -f install. aptitude -f just plain sucks.

I've been using both apt-get & aptitude in combination for some time now and it works fine. I do have a fair amount of experience using apt tho and I wouldn't recommend it to new users. I do it like so

alias ac="sudo aptitude clean"
alias au="sudo aptitude update"
alias aug="sudo aptitude upgrade"
alias as="aptitude search"
alias ash="aptitude show"
alias ai="sudo apt-get install"
alias dpl="dpkg -l|grep"
alias acp="apt-cache policy"
alias ar="sudo aptitude remove"
alias afi="sudo apt-get -f install"
alias dpi="sudo dpkg -i"
alias dif="sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite"
alias acd="apt-cache depends"
alias ah="sudo aptitude hold"

I dislike the behavior of aptitude install & aptitude -f install so it's apt-get for those actions. Try it yourself and see the difference. There is no aptitude equivalent for apt-cache policy or dpkg -i --force-overwrite afaik and the last command I use alot on Sid.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

rickh

#38 Post by rickh »

-f     Aggressively try to fix dependencies of broken packages.

Configuration Item: Aptitude::CmdLine::Fix-Broken
Dang. I don't know how I missed that. I was looking for it once, too. At any rate, I've never been in a position that suggested it's use. I use aptitude exclusively on Sid, and have never had a single issue like that. Even installing difficult things like Cinelerra. Either the installation has worked, or if it failed due to dependency problems, I have just used aptitude to install the dependency and then it worked.

I am inclined to believe that all the issues related to mixing apt-get with aptitude have still not been worked out. I say, use aptitude exclusively, and it has not failed me yet.

That doesn't mean that other aspects of apt not useful. apt-cache policy is, of course, irreplaceable at this point. Depending on the specific need , I sometime use apt-cache search. apt-file, apt-show-version and others still roll easily off my fingertips, ... but apt-get is history.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

BioTube

#39 Post by BioTube »

You're right. The future is full of bloat. Functional software is deader than the dinosaurs.

patches

#40 Post by patches »

Aptitude has been working out well for me in sid. :)
B.S.C.S. UNC-CH 2006

txHarleyMan

#41 Post by txHarleyMan »

From the CLI -
apt-get or aptitude?
aptitude
There; it's settled. :-)
txHarleyMan
Debian Etch

craigevil

#42 Post by craigevil »

sidux Manuals - APT-Guide
Package managers like adept, aptitude, synaptic and kpackage are at the least, non-deterministic (for complex package selection), mix that with a quickly moving target like sid and even worse an external repository of questionable quality (we don't use or recommend those, but they're a reality on your user systems) and you will be courting disaster. The other item to note is that all of these types of GUI package managers need to run in init 5, and/or, in X, and in doing a dist-upgrade in init 5 and/or X , (or even an 'upgrade' which is not recommended), you will end up damaging up your system beyond repair, maybe not today or tomorrow, in time you will.

apt-get on the other hand strictly does what it is asked to do, if there is any breakage you can pinpoint and debug/ fix the cause, if apt-get wants to remove half of the system (due to library transitions) it's the admin's call (that means you) to have at least a serious look.

This is the reason why debian builds use apt-get, not the other package manager tools.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

actionM

#43 Post by actionM »

dbnPC:/home/matt# aptitude install kate
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Writing extended state information... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
Building tag database... Done
The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
  libtagc0 thunar-media-tags-plugin xfce4-artwork xfce4-battery-plugin
  xfce4-clipman-plugin xfce4-cpufreq-plugin xfce4-cpugraph-plugin
  xfce4-diskperf-plugin xfce4-fsguard-plugin xfce4-genmon-plugin
  xfce4-mailwatch-plugin xfce4-minicmd-plugin xfce4-mount-plugin
  xfce4-netload-plugin xfce4-notes-plugin xfce4-quicklauncher-plugin
  xfce4-screenshooter-plugin xfce4-sensors-plugin
  xfce4-smartbookmark-plugin xfce4-systemload-plugin xfce4-verve-plugin
  xfce4-wavelan-plugin xfce4-weather-plugin
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  kate
The following packages are RECOMMENDED but will NOT be installed:
  kregexpeditor
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 23 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/794kB of archives. After unpacking 3125kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]
Why does aptitude want to uninstall things I use everyday?

I do like that aptitude keeps a list of installed packages at /var/log/aptitude, does apt-get not do anything like that?

Telemachus

#44 Post by Telemachus »

actionM wrote:Why does aptitude want to uninstall things I use everyday?
I'm going to guess that at some point, you installed xfce4 as a metapackage. Then, later, you probably removed one component of the metapackage alone - using apt-get. A metapackage depends on all the individual items that it installs, so if you remove one, aptitude says, "Ok, now I will remove the metapackage itself and all the sub-packages that depend on it." There are ways to adjust the default behavior (which many people hate - it's the main dividing line between apt-get and aptitude users, so far as I can tell), but an easy way to solve your problem is to enter "aptitude keep-all" before you try to install kate with aptitude. Another way to look at it is this: aptitude and apt-get don't play entirely nicely together. Until now, I assume that you have been using apt-get. It's unfortunate, but normal to have troubles if you switch horses to aptitude without the keep-all comamnd. As far as I know, "aptitude keep-all" and then a steady diet of aptitude solves the problems - if you want aptitude that is. Another way to handle it is "apt-get install kate" :)
actionM wrote:I do like that aptitude keeps a list of installed packages at /var/log/aptitude, does apt-get not do anything like that?
Nope - hence this post here.

Telemachus

#45 Post by Telemachus »

Craigevil (quoting the Sidux manual) wrote:This is the reason why debian builds use apt-get, not the other package manager tools.
I'm just curious: what does "Debian builds" mean in that sentence? (Maybe it's really obvious and I'm just slow today.) The reason I ask is that I thought that the current installers use Aptitude for items chosen in the tasksel section of installation. So I guess I'm wondering what "Debian builds" means if not installation.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#46 Post by Lavene »

I see references to Sidux all the time, but one should keep in mind that recommendations from the Sidux guys is for Sidux. Debian's official recommendation is Aptitude. Whether it will stay that way now that the new apt-get is out I guess we will not know until Lenny is released. But the bottom line is that it's very much a matter of taste and consistency. If you choose one and stick with it you should be fine. Mixing them might cause problems however.

As a side note: I just tried apt's new autoremove feature and it actually worked.

Tina

MeanDean

#47 Post by MeanDean »

....still using apt....
Nice to be able to remove a meta-package and ONLY the meta-package or use autoremove and rip out everything associated with it!

Sidux, much like other derivatives is simply a subset of debian and as such I would simply use debian.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#48 Post by mzilikazi »

actionM wrote:
Why does aptitude want to uninstall things I use everyday?

I do like that aptitude keeps a list of installed packages at /var/log/aptitude, does apt-get not do anything like that?
This is exactly the reason I refuse to use aptitude install or aptitude -f install. The behavior is IMHO wrong.
craigevil wrote:The other item to note is that all of these types of GUI package managers need to run in init 5, and/or, in X, and in doing a dist-upgrade in init 5 and/or X , (or even an 'upgrade' which is not recommended), you will end up damaging up your system beyond repair, maybe not today or tomorrow, in time you will.
As someone that has done all upgrades within X for several years I have to disagree but keep in mind that I use neither Gnome or KDE. I can't speak for what happens within those DE's. While I'm not going to recommend that anyone else do this, I do mix apt-get & aptitude and do it all in init 5. It has yet to fail me. I love the fact that my daily apt-get upgrades (never ever apt-get dist-upgrade) in Sid don't disturb my work routine in any way shape or form. I might restart X or compiz-fusion if they were updated.

BTW - aptitude does work fine in any runlevel - it does not require runlevel 5
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

llivv

#49 Post by llivv »

'
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-16 07:35, edited 1 time in total.

alleluia20

#50 Post by alleluia20 »

Honestly, with the new apt which allows you to autoremove, I think that aptitude is dead.

As far as I know, the only extra "feature" that aptitude has right now is that you have to autoremove although you do not want to do so.

OK, aptitude has a log and apt does not have... But you can look at dpkg's logs