Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Rediculously old laptop challenge

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Rediculously old laptop challenge

#1 Post by Scotti »

Hey all,

I have this super duper old IBM thinkpad and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to if I could get some sort of Debian, or any Linux for the matter, on it.

When I boot it up it has Windows 3.1 on it. Ya, it's that old. I think it's a 9" display, 4Mb RAM (if that), and I don't know about the hard drive. For inputs there is only a couple audio ports, a PS/2 port, video out (for external monitor), serial port and parrellel port. For data transfer there is only a 1.44Mb floppy drive! This thing has no USB, no RJ-45, and no CD-rom!

Is it just an old and dirty paper weight? Or can I get some penguin action on there somehow?

geoffb

Re: Rediculously old laptop challenge

#2 Post by geoffb »

dren wrote:Hey all,

I have this super duper old IBM thinkpad and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to if I could get some sort of Debian, or any Linux for the matter, on it.

When I boot it up it has Windows 3.1 on it. Ya, it's that old. I think it's a 9" display, 4Mb RAM (if that), and I don't know about the hard drive. For inputs there is only a couple audio ports, a PS/2 port, video out (for external monitor), serial port and parrellel port. For data transfer there is only a 1.44Mb floppy drive! This thing has no USB, no RJ-45, and no CD-rom!

Is it just an old and dirty paper weight? Or can I get some penguin action on there somehow?
Anything's possible. I guarantee you can get Debian on there somehow.

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#3 Post by Scotti »

Hehe ya, I just read that post and then decided to make this one.

The only ways I can think of is if I had an external CD-Rom with a USB to serial adaptor, or got Debian on floppy! I don't even want to figure out how many floppy disks that would be.

Actually now that I think about it, the BIOS setup screens are really old school. I think they are like this Windows 3.1 graphical setup. I don't know if the thing even has the brains support a CD-Rom drive if it had one hooked up to it.

geoffb

#4 Post by geoffb »

dren wrote:Hehe ya, I just read that post and then decided to make this one.

The only ways I can think of is if I had an external CD-Rom with a USB to serial adaptor, or got Debian on floppy! I don't even want to figure out how many floppy disks that would be.

Actually now that I think about it, the BIOS setup screens are really old school. I think they are like this Windows 3.1 graphical setup. I don't know if the thing even has the brains support a CD-Rom drive if it had one hooked up to it.
What about networking to a computer with a CD-ROM/Internet access through the parallel port?

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#5 Post by Scotti »

Wow it's actually not a bad little machine. I booted it up and I found out more on the specs:

Microprocessor: SL Enhanced Intel486
Clock Frequency: 25/50/MHz
Memory: 3712Mb
Hard disk: 172Mb
Disk drive: 1.44Mb
LCD: 9.5" color

I should try and find the Doom shareware and try it out LoL.

I'm searching around for some Linux distro's on floppy. I found this page. Under the "small distros" there are some floppy linux projects, and some dead projects. There is a couple based on Debian but their projects seem to be abandoned. I'll see what I can do with any of these.

I guess the thing is is that I need some USB to serial adaptor. With USB I could hook up an external CD-rom and even get an RJ-45 connection going. I have a Linksys ethernet to USB adaptor.

anon

#6 Post by anon »

You're going to have a hard time doing anyhing useful with so little memory. The oldest debian installer i can find is boo and that needs atleast 4megs. Just fitting the kernel is going to be a problem since it can't be swapped out. The smallest maintained distro I know is http://www.minimalinux.org/ttylinux/showpage.php?pid=1 and even that seems to be out of bounds (although I really dont see why, if you could compile a really minimalistic kernel yourself and set it all up ready to boot, on another system). The single floppy distros that I know of uses a compressed filesystem and needs even more ram.

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#7 Post by Scotti »

Ya true. I was messing around for a while last night. I found floppix, a single floppy distro based on Debian, but it requires 16Mb memory.

Meh, dosen't really matter. I was just wondering if it could be done. I'm sure it could be I've got better things to do, like search for a job. :?

anon

#8 Post by anon »

http://www.selenic.com/linux-tiny/ claims to be able to boot a system with as little as 2megs?

#9 Post by Guest »

You could get yourself a nice disk of FreeDOS and feed it the nice (but abandoned) GreyCat distro. I got that one working with PCMCIA support (by using slack 3.5 modules and tools).

-Roel

buelligan

Damn Small Linux on old Thinkpad

#10 Post by buelligan »

A couple of things you might try:

Go to www4allmemory.com to see if you can max out the memory in your machine for a reasonable price.

Go to the Damn Small Linux website user forum and see what others have done.
Hope this helps,
Buelligan[/url]