Etch [Testing] Really Broken

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Etch [Testing] Really Broken

Postby Scotti » 2005-12-18 20:36

I just downloaded CD1 iso of testing and tried to install on a VM. I left everything pretty much to default install settings. When it went to install "the rest of the system" (post config) there were unmet dependencies and aptitiude failed. I went to install x-server-system-core but couldn't because its dependencies failed due to their own dependency issues. In conclusion, Sid is really broken right now. I stick with Sarge, because it actually works.
Last edited by Scotti on 2005-12-19 01:32, edited 1 time in total.
Scotti
Moderator Team Member

Re: Sid [Testing] Really Broken

Postby jobezone » 2005-12-18 22:38

dren wrote:I just downloaded CD1 iso of testing and tried to install on a VM. I left everything pretty much to default install settings. When it went to install "the rest of the system" (post config) there were unmet dependencies and aptitiude failed. I went to install x-server-system-core but couldn't because its dependencies failed due to their own dependency issues. In conclusion, Sid is really broken right now. I stick with Sarge, because it actually works.

Was it a netinstall CD? I think that for installing etch, you should probably got with one, so you automatically get the most recent packages from debian servers.
I installed a debian testing system last week using one, and it worked fine.
The Debian Documentation website contains the FAQ, Installation Manual and the Release Notes for Etch. They're helpful if you want to learn more about debian!
jobezone

Postby Guest » 2005-12-19 01:32

Maybe I did download the wrong iso?

I got it from exactly here: http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekl ... 86/iso-cd/

Ah my bad. I was calling testing "Sid", I meant Etch. I'll fix the thread title.

Postby Scotti » 2005-12-19 01:33

Ah, that was my post above.
Scotti
Moderator Team Member

Postby manny » 2005-12-19 02:17

damn... i was thinking of trying a netinstall. My etch (testing) has been working great since sarge release (except for missing k3b lately) but i installed it using the 1st iso sarge cd, choosing "desktop" and then apt-getting everything with etch/testing sources.
manny

Postby Scotti » 2005-12-19 02:39

Actually I just grabbed the netinstall iso for Etch and it seems to be installing fine so far. Got it right here: http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
Scotti
Moderator Team Member

Postby Scotti » 2005-12-19 02:55

Exellante'. Good news, friends, that latest net-install iso worked fine and I have Gnome installed and everything. I guess I grabbed the right iso from the wrong place.
Scotti
Moderator Team Member

Postby manny » 2005-12-19 06:22

Glad to hear that :wink:
manny

Postby paulvandenberg » 2005-12-19 15:27

I tried installing from an Etch DVD a couple of weeks ago. The installer would only do automatic partitioning no matter what I answered. And then it borked my partition table. I then went back to Sarge. I guess if I want Etch, I should do a apt-get dist-upgrade after changing my repositories to Etch ones. I guess this is to be expected as Etch won't be stable for almost another year. I'm a little leary of trying Etch again too soon. I've been burned by Fedora too many times and am gun-shy of development stuff now. In my opinion, Fedora is Red Hat's 'testing'. Rawhide is Red Hat's 'Sid' and RHEL is Red Hat's 'stable'.

Paul
paulvandenberg

Postby J Arcane » 2005-12-20 22:35

I'm running testing at the moment, and so far the only problems I've had is that Kalarm completely broke with the upgrade to KDE 3.4.

Which frustrates me because that's what I'd been using to wake myself up in the morning.
J Arcane

Postby Scotti » 2005-12-22 04:33

I just dist-upgraded from Etch to Sid with no problems at all. :-) I didn't know that unstable gave you the latest and greatest app versions (Firefox 1.5, OOo 2, etc). I'm testing it all out in a VM. If all goes well I'll *redo* my machine with unstable. (I upgraded from stable to unstable once and it totally b0rked my system)
Scotti
Moderator Team Member

Postby jobezone » 2005-12-22 06:05

dren wrote:I just dist-upgraded from Etch to Sid with no problems at all. :-) I didn't know that unstable gave you the latest and greatest app versions (Firefox 1.5, OOo 2, etc). I'm testing it all out in a VM. If all goes well I'll *redo* my machine with unstable. (I upgraded from stable to unstable once and it totally b0rked my system)

Yeah, I upgraded my unstable machine today, and was really surprised to get Firefox 1.5, the most recent version of amule,etc...
I'm still undecided on what I'll use on my laptop: Testing and get a system which won't have critical bugs and potential dependency problems, and not having to upgrade every day, or use unstable and get the newest and the best......
Arghhhh...
The Debian Documentation website contains the FAQ, Installation Manual and the Release Notes for Etch. They're helpful if you want to learn more about debian!
jobezone

really, really broken

Postby alecs1 » 2006-03-27 12:31

I cannot believe, after 1 year of good experiences with linux, that I may have to use windows when I wan't to do something serious
Too _many_ bugs in testing, 3 of the most nasty
-bold fonts in opera
-qmake broken
-anjuta broken
how can debian introduce bugs in packages that run ok from their "mother"
Excuse moi, but I don't have those in windows. And in windows I also have the games.
I upgrade now to sid, if don't get at least opera solved I may say bye to debian and apt-get upgrade.
Enjoy!
alecs1

Re: really, really broken

Postby Lavene » 2006-03-28 01:52

alecs1 wrote:I cannot believe, after 1 year of good experiences with linux, that I may have to use windows when I wan't to do something serious
... snip ...
how can debian introduce bugs in packages that run ok from their "mother"
Excuse moi, but I don't have those in windows. And in windows I also have the games.
I upgrade now to sid, if don't get at least opera solved I may say bye to debian and apt-get upgrade.

I have three suggestions:

1) Use Debian Stable.
2) Use Windows
3) Read http://www.debian.org/devel/testing and learn about what testing is.

Tina :)
Lavene
Site admin

Re: really, really broken

Postby alecs1 » 2006-03-28 10:35

Lavene wrote:2) Use Windows
Tina :)

I will. :)

I have read the debian testing description, I was wrong about it.

You don't have to answer to this:
Does debian have a version for normal users?
Ok, I'm not a normal user, I know, but I did try debian stable first, and i couldn't get X work (...), and the packages in stable are rather old.
Enjoy!
alecs1

Next

Return to General Discussion