Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Compression (.rar, .zip, etc...)

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
beexo

Compression (.rar, .zip, etc...)

#1 Post by beexo »

Wich packages are you using to manage .rar, .zip, ... files?

kink
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#2 Post by kink »

The situation for rar is not that easy. There currently doesn't exist a good rar program that is free enough to be in Debian. There is an "unrar" in Debian but that can only handle a very old rar format. So I'm not using that format at all, because it doesn't provide much advantage over different formats. Especially since I don't have to pull things over a 28k8 line anymore, a couple of percent extra compression isn't that important.

For zip I just use 'zip' on the command line. For simple file operations like move, copy, (un)tar, (un)zip the commandline is the fastest way I know.

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#3 Post by Scotti »

I use file-roller. It's a GUI application. It handles pretty much any compression file type. Just make sure you have unrar, unzip, etc installed.

Code: Select all

# apt-get install file-roller zip unzip unrar

beexo

#4 Post by beexo »

"File-roller is an archive manager for the GNOME environment."

What about for KDE environment?