Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

GUI of Choice?(Sarge)

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Which do you prefer?

KDE
46%
Gnome
42%
Xfce
13%

Total votes: 136

PrawnJuice

GUI of Choice?(Sarge)

#1 Post by PrawnJuice »

I'm personally a KDE fan. It's fast, efficient and looks great.

Which GUI do you prefer and why?
Prawn to be wild!

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Re: GUI of Choice?(Sarge)

#2 Post by Scotti »

PrawnJuice wrote:[KDE] It's fast, efficient and looks great.
"Yea, I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of, disagree with you there." - Office Space

Not to start any wars here, use what you like, but I heard KDE is not all that fast (on older machines, maybe you have a beast). I used it a couple times and didn't like the look either, but that's just me.

I can't vote on this because my fav WM isn't up there! :(

I bet you can guess what it is though. ;-)

PrawnJuice

#3 Post by PrawnJuice »

Yeah I know there're a lot more GUIs, but they're the ones I figured were most common.
Prawn to be wild!

Dtohjam

Kde !

#4 Post by Dtohjam »

Love the better access to hardware control and server daemons

muskrat

#5 Post by muskrat »

In Sarge, My Gnome seems to be broken, I'm not a great KDE fan, although I will have to say it's developed into a great desktop, I just like Icewm better, but sarge doesn't come with Icewm so I had to vote KDE.

And that is what I'm using in Sarge everyday anyway.
Steve - Muskrat
Registered Linux user #305785.
Registered desktop PC #261727 Sidux
Registered laptop PC #310468 Debian Lenny

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#6 Post by Lavene »

I use KDE. It's just what I got used to really, since it was the default desktop on my first Linux distro.

Tina

dmartinsca

#7 Post by dmartinsca »

I like xfce4. I used gnome for quite a while but last time I installed gentoo I didn't want to wait a day for it to compile so i tried xfce and haven't switched back

sensovision

#8 Post by sensovision »

one year ago when I was moving from Windows I've used KDE for some time(it has closer interface to Windows one and was a bit more easy to use) but later I moved totally to GNOME as it run more stable and had programs I was working with, from KDE I use only K3b and klipper.
have tried other WMs as well, fluxbox seems to be the fastest one but probably I wasn't experienced enough to use it :? :wink:
Denis

adssse

#9 Post by adssse »

I am on an older machine (233mhz 128mb ram) so I prefer more efficient ones such as fluxbox and icewm. On my faster machine I still use these two, but also use gnome once in a while.

PrawnJuice

#10 Post by PrawnJuice »

Yesterday I gave Xfce and IceWM a go. Xfce is great, but is there any way to change the app menu (like you can in KDE)?
IceWM overwhelmed me with all the buttons on the panel. I don't like it.
Prawn to be wild!

mority

#11 Post by mority »

I love my Ion for this reasons:
  • Very fast and small
  • Tiling window manager (Tabs instead of overlapping windows)
  • Optimzed for keyboard use, mouse use is fully optional
  • Highly configurable and scriptable through the Lua language
So Ion is, in one word: 1337 ;)

john_h

#12 Post by john_h »

PrawnJuice wrote:Xfce is great, but is there any way to change the app menu (like you can in KDE)?
You can edit the menu in the Xfce Desktop Settings dialogue. Instructions here

Another tip for using Xfce is that many people (myself included) find that the Rox file manager is better than Xfce's own file manager (Xffm). The Debian package is rox-filer and you can then edit the file manager icon on the Xfce toolbar so that it opens rox-filer rather than xffm.

PrawnJuice

#13 Post by PrawnJuice »

mority wrote: So Ion is, in one word: 1337 ;)
I could say the same about Xfce ;)

john_h wrote:
PrawnJuice wrote:Xfce is great, but is there any way to change the app menu (like you can in KDE)?

Another tip for using Xfce is that many people (myself included) find that the Rox file manager is better than Xfce's own file manager (Xffm). The Debian package is rox-filer and you can then edit the file manager icon on the Xfce toolbar so that it opens rox-filer rather than xffm.
Excellent. I was getting annoyed with Xffm's tree-layout.
Prawn to be wild!

ben

#14 Post by ben »

GNOME.

PrawnJuice

#15 Post by PrawnJuice »

john_h wrote:
:shock: I think my version of Xfce is out of date. It probably is too, considering I got it through apt-get. To the point, such a command mentioned in that website doesn't exist, and it doesn't appear at all in my documentation. To make things worse, I can't find the menu.xml file in the folders it mentioned.
Prawn to be wild!

Lux

#16 Post by Lux »

I use these:

(1) Ion3 -- the most convenient windowmanager, IMO, because you don't need to resize windows, ever. This is what I use most.
(2) Window Maker -- the hip NeXT-style windowmanager. I like its look and I use it for some apps that don't fit well to ion's fullscreen ideal.
(3) KDE -- the most powerful desktop environment for Linux. I use this occasionally to see how "Linux on the desktop" is doing. Plus I regularly use KDE's login screen, kdm.

I voted KDE. :D

mority

#17 Post by mority »

Lux wrote: (2) Window Maker -- the hip NeXT-style windowmanager. I like its look and I use it for some apps that don't fit well to ion's fullscreen ideal.
Do you know that you can create "floating" workspaces in Ion which provide "normal" window behaviour (ie. overlapping, non-tabbed windows)? I use those floating workspaces for applications like the gimp, cause the interface of gimp with the many small windows does not really fit into frames-and-tabs style of the Ion interface.

Lux

#18 Post by Lux »

Do you know that you can create "floating" workspaces in Ion which provide "normal" window behaviour (ie. overlapping, non-tabbed windows)?
Hey, I didn't know that. I just created a new workspace with F9 and told ion that I want the workspace type to be WFloatWS, and now I have a "floating" workspace. Plenty cool. Thanks. :D

mority

#19 Post by mority »

Glad to help :)

jjmac

#20 Post by jjmac »

Howdy,

Well, as usual --- people will tend to go with what their used to. Which is why i use fvwm. First found in RH 5.0 as AnotheLevel.

I couldn't live without being able to just drift over to another screen page.

It is one of the things that stands in the way of kde for me. Having to click on a pager thumbnail to chane over to another screen page.

If it has some configuration along fvwms' "EdgeResistence" setting, i haven't found it.

ion

That looks really interesting, i just saved the site page and will have to look into that.

mority wrote:
>>
Do you know that you can create "floating" workspaces in Ion which provide "normal" window behaviour (ie. overlapping, non-tabbed windows)? I use those floating workspaces for applications like the gimp, cause the interface of gimp with the many small windows does not really fit into frames-and-tabs style of the Ion interface.
>>

Not sure what is meant by "floating workspaces", even more reason to look further.

I use the screen page flexability in fvwm for a similar reason as you mention in regard to the gimp though.

Can't say i'm to happy about this two window manager world though. There is so much flexability in the none-windows clones i would have thought that the distros would have embraced them more. But users == money i suppose.

Seems the expectation is for Linux to be "a better windows" OS, where that isn't the case. Linux != windows and really should be trying all the time.

In any case, seems like that "ion" mention above is worth a further look :)

Edit: 26/12/2006 (almost a year ...)

I found the equiv of the 'Edge Resistance' setting in kde, right under my nose too. So i will at least retract that (grin)

jm
Last edited by jjmac on 2006-12-26 07:53, edited 1 time in total.