Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Copyright on Debian Logo

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
dreamboat

Copyright on Debian Logo

#1 Post by dreamboat »

I was passing through a mall today, waiting for a car tyre to be repaired, when I saw a display stand for a property development company, who are using the debian logo (sure it is a mirror image, but it is the same colour, and the same "distressed look" as the real thing) on the development.
I have searched the Debian.org website, but cannot find a contact for someone that looks suitable for the issue. If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.

I have only been "toying" with debian for a few months, and now have a system which I can use happily at home, but I still feel quite attached to it... and don't want to see it ripped off!

Rob

neenee

#2 Post by neenee »

was it elektrostore?

i can't find any info on who to contact about possible
copyright infringement either though.

john_h

#3 Post by john_h »

I'd imagine any rights in the Debian logo belong to Software in the Public Interest, whose contact details are here. SPI are the legal entity that was incorporated to hold Debian copyright and trade mark rights etc.

That said, I'd be surprised if there's anything they want to/can do. There's a 99% chance this is just a coincidence (similar logos do crop up as pointed out by neenee) and, more to the point, its use by a property developer is not really a threat to Debian's core interests.

kink
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#4 Post by kink »

There have been many reports of logos very similar to Debian's, most likely because it's not all too original and made with a default tool in photoshop.

#5 Post by Guest »

Thanks for that.

I have sent an email off to SPI, and I guess it is to them to decide how to handle it.

FYI, take a look at www.saltonkings.com.au and see what you think!

dreamboat

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#6 Post by Scotti »

Wow this is so creepy. I don't know how I found this but check the logo on this Linux distro. Looks oddly familure...

On a side note, check some of the screenshots on this page (under "Versão 0.20 da Dizinha"). They make their GUI look like Windows 2000. I don't know which is worse, the logo ripoff or GUI clone? ;-)

#7 Post by Guest »

A trademark is much different than a copywrite.
A trademark is valid only if it's use is actively defended.
If you do not defend the use of your trademark, then you can no longer claim exclusive rights.

kink

#8 Post by kink »

This goes only for some countries.

dnusinow
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#9 Post by dnusinow »

Anonymous wrote:A trademark is much different than a copywrite.
A trademark is valid only if it's use is actively defended.
If you do not defend the use of your trademark, then you can no longer claim exclusive rights.
Debian, via SPI, does actively defend its trademark.
David Nusinow