Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Jump to Debian

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
adssse

Jump to Debian

#1 Post by adssse »

I saw this article and found it interesting as it was talking about debian. I thought I would post the link for others to take a look if they wanted. (I apologize if it has already been posted, did a search and didnt see it)

Jump to Debian GNU/Linux!
A guide to why the Debian distro is a good choice

By Arturo Fernández Montoro

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/fre ... to_debian/

muskrat

#2 Post by muskrat »

That's an exalent article. But the author made a statment that debian didn't have as good a hardware detection as redhat or mandrake. I guess he is technoly correct. Except I find Knoppix hardware detector far supieror to redhats. Now I know knoppix isn't debian, yet it's debian based.

So you can still jump to debian by using some of these new debian based distros.

As a side point of interest to me, Why doesn't Debian use the knoppix hardwrae detector in an upcoming release?

I see even some of these slackware based distros have choosen to use it instead of redhats anymore.
Steve - Muskrat
Registered Linux user #305785.
Registered desktop PC #261727 Sidux
Registered laptop PC #310468 Debian Lenny