Debian Etch or Unstable

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Debian Etch or Unstable

Postby newbie » 2006-02-02 19:25

Hi!

I was SuSE user long time and than I did try Debian and now I have the Arch which is nice but in ten years my computer freez much less than now inone month on Arch.

My question is (I have cd with etch): is it possible to install Etch and than upgraded tu Unstable? Why? I like Xorg 7.0 and KDE 3.5.

Thanks,

Luc

Postby adssse » 2006-02-02 20:21

I believe you can. Should just be able to change your sources.list file and do a dist-upgrade.
adssse

Postby dnusinow » 2006-02-06 03:10

Note that Xorg 7.0 isn't in unstable yet, but 6.9 is, which is identical code-wise but has a different build system. Work on getting 7.0 in to unstable is progressing.
David Nusinow
dnusinow
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

Postby Guest » 2006-02-10 19:39

dnusinow wrote:Note that Xorg 7.0 isn't in unstable yet, but 6.9 is, which is identical code-wise but has a different build system. Work on getting 7.0 in to unstable is progressing.

Thanks. I think on Saturday will be Debian on my computer. I haver one question more:

if I installed (I have cd with etch) just the base system is it possible that than I update(upgrade) to unstable, Xorg 6.9, KDE...? Is configuration for X like xorgconfig?
Thank you.

Postby gareed » 2006-02-11 02:49

To install my SID system, I downloaded a recent netinstall CD.

Then I used this link for a minimal install. Note that I did not install any packages other than the base system, then changed my sources.list to pull SID, and then started to install what I wanted. I also dist-upgraded and installed the SID kernel (linux-image-2.6.15-1-k7, etc.) early in the process before installing xorg.

If you have questions about upgrading your kernel, http://wiki.serios.net/wiki/Debian_kernel_upgrade is a place to start.
gareed

Return to General Discussion