Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Has Debian lost control of its distribution?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
pendrachken

Re: Has Debian lost control of its distribution?

#16 Post by pendrachken »

s3a wrote: EDIT: Another Linux-wide reliable feature is the home partition. I have never seen something so innovative in Windows. If someone knows of a similar thing in Windows, tell me. Not that I have anything important in Windows since it's just used as my gaming alternative if Debian doesn't work, but I'd like to know for the sake of knowledge because you never know when something might come in handy.
It is possible in WinXP and maybe even Win2K. You would need either a liveCD or it MAY work from a separate account... you need to copy everything from $WINDRIVE\Documents and Settings\$USER to a temp location, then mount your partition in the EMPTY folder $WINDRIVE\Documents and Settings\$USER folder with the windows disk manager, deselecting the drive letter and then selecting the other option for folder mounting. Then you need to copy everything back into the user folder.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

julian67

#17 Post by julian67 »

Unfortunately if you use a different partition for user you'll encounter applications which are hard coded to have everything in C: instead of using variables so it can get a little messy. I tried it a few years ago and it didn't take too long to realise it just means more work and regular annoyance.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

pendrachken

#18 Post by pendrachken »

julian67 wrote:Unfortunately if you use a different partition for user you'll encounter applications which are hard coded to have everything in C: instead of using variables so it can get a little messy. I tried it a few years ago and it didn't take too long to realise it just means more work and regular annoyance.
Umm, the way I told him to set it up apps would not even see the different partition. plus it would be under C:\ anyways. Since Win2K ( I think it was 2k anyways) you can mount a volume seamlessly in the file hierarchy just like in UNIX/Linux. On my XP machine that I do all my photoshopping on I have the normal "My Documents" folder and under that I have the "MY Pictures" folder, I just have a 350GB drive mounted under "My Pictures" for exteded storage. Same as having a partition mounted under /home/USER/Pictures on Linux ( well assuming you have home and / on 1 partition.... not 100% certain if it would work properly with mounting a partion in a mounted partition, like a separate /home)

I have also in the past made a C:\data folder and installed many programs to that instead of "Program Files", I haven't come across anything yet that has a hissy-fit since as far as anything is concerned it is writing to a folder on C:\
fortune -o

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

julian67

#19 Post by julian67 »

Oh I see....I had got it into my head that it was about a different partition... :oops:
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

anxious

#20 Post by anxious »

LOL. We got em talkin
For an idea that does not at first seem insane, there is no hope - Albert Einstein

dbbolton

#21 Post by dbbolton »

anxious wrote:
LOL. We got em talkin
Who the hell is that guy? Some asshole with nothing better to do than to blog about off-topic threads in Linux forums?
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

AdrianTM

#22 Post by AdrianTM »

The Internets are wrong!
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

pendrachken

#23 Post by pendrachken »

A bit OT here but....
dbbolton wrote: Reason why I hate the Ubuntu community #1: terrible moderation
So you are pissy because you posted a desktop screenshot that wasn't even your own, and is copyrighted, then got called out on part of it, then insult the admins and get banned? Not to mention the CONTENT of the SS....

It is obvious where the screenshot has come from to anyone who has watched Episode #1 from here (warning may be NSFW, swearing... icon based genitalia ). If it would have been MY forums you woulda just got kicked.... Lying, copyright infringement and then insulting admins? They acted quite reasonably in your case.....
fortune -o

dbbolton

#24 Post by dbbolton »

pendrachken wrote:A bit OT here but....
dbbolton wrote: Reason why I hate the Ubuntu community #1: terrible moderation
So you are pissy because you posted a desktop screenshot that wasn't even your own, and is copyrighted, then got called out on part of it, then insult the admins and get banned? Not to mention the CONTENT of the SS....

It is obvious where the screenshot has come from to anyone who has watched Episode #1 from here (warning may be NSFW, swearing... icon based genitalia ). If it would have been MY forums you woulda just got kicked.... Lying, copyright infringement and then insulting admins? They acted quite reasonably in your case.....
That is extremely off topic. Check your inbox.
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

gnudude

#25 Post by gnudude »

...and fedora is more up to date than ubuntu so maybe fedora is creating all the updates and is leading the linux world and ubuntu and debian has lost control due to internal strife.....

aww heck, lets wait another ten years or so and see where all these distros (including debian) are at and how they are doing......

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#26 Post by 4D696B65 »

gnudude wrote:
aww heck, lets wait another ten years or so and see where all these distros (including debian) are at and how they are doing......

Exactly. Long live Corel Linux :D

I still have my cd, should put it in VM for nostalgia purpose :D

edbarx

#27 Post by edbarx »

I am the odd one here... almost everyone, even newcomers can talk about different Linux distributions. I only used two: knoppix and Debian. The other one was Ubuntu, but it was only for a few hours. I don't know whether I am right or wrong, but once I found Debian, I see no reason to try something else... Maybe, I am a conservative without knowing. The problem with me is that once that I find a good product, I don't look for change. And Debian, is proving to be an excellent product.

The more I use Linux, the more I am becoming aware that, there is a lot of overlapping between different Linux distributions. So, why should I try something else?
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

BioTube

#28 Post by BioTube »

After my experience with Freespire(I had to reinstall more often than I ever had to with Windows - and I never ran as root), I refused to budge after finding Debian(every time the system got borked, I could trace it back to something I did).
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

Polaris96

#29 Post by Polaris96 »

wow! That was some article. I never knew what a piece of crap debian is until now. So, I tweaked sources.list to give me the newest packages from karmic for bleedin' edge software before the DDs grabbed it and put it in sid (I mean, sid MUST be old, right - they never change the name, so the distro is ancient. Right??).

Then, one of the UF moderators heard I have a root password and he warned me for dangerously individual behaviour. When I asked why he was acting like a goon, he banned me for disrespecting a (crepuscular rays and a fanfare , please) moderator! They even made me give back my $7.95 canonical mug with the recycle crest on it :( I thought I was in the clear, but two guys grabbed me and a third branded a "#" on my forehead, so my shame is now exposed to the world. sudo lighten-up-ubuntu-please.

At least I got away with all those gr8 packages, though! They crashed my system because they depended on "newer" versions that are CLAIMED to exist in Sid. This is a clear case of the Freemason conspiracy at work - agents of the liberal-CIA-newworldorder have infiltrated the debian based distro community and are actively working to cover up the TRUTH, which is that Debian copies Arch, aliens started knoppix, and Elvis' face can clearly be distinguished if you hold up Ubuntu's wallpaper to a mirror.

Well, that was fun. What's for lunch?

One last OT: irt /home, lots of people got their first exposure to it in Linux, but the entire directory hierarchy came lock, stock, and barrel from early UNIX. It's a bit different now (/media springs to mind) but its built on the Unix model. That was a good move.
for as long as the world remains. for as long as time remains. so, too, will I remain. To serve. To help. And to make my contribution. Also, never forget our family at debianuserforums.org If we can't solve your problem, they probably can.