old

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

old

Postby maybeInstallDebian » 2006-04-12 11:38

What is "problem" with Debian because I didn't decided to install yet?

If you are looking on the Distrowatch and for example OpenBSD you will see taht also OpenBSD use Xorg. Debian (stable) has steel Xfree and there are problem with some graphics cards... If you install testing or unstable than is every week something wrong.

Thanks.
maybeInstallDebian

Postby Acron_0248 » 2006-04-12 13:21

The "problem" with the stable release on debian is just that the packages that come down from testing to stable have to pass lots of tests to prove they're a "never break" packages

So, there quite a lot tests that this packages have to pass to ensure the stability, the big problem is, when the stability is checked, the packages come down from etch to sarge just to see that the package is already outdated

This always have been the way of Debian works, the old that maybe the packages in sarge is because they're assuring the stability of that package

Now, testing or unstable also are pretty stables in fact, i used etch and now I use Sid, I had some problems, how can avoid them? but, I can pass months playing with the system without breaking so that of "testing or unstable than is every week something wrong" is not quite true

Something that people seems to forget sometimes is that repositories in debian are the one of best and there are tools to get package from apt-get.org showing a repository to be suitable for your sources.list, so, you can add it and obtain the package that doesn't be in officials sarge repositories for example

In the case of Xorg, there are repositories that you can add to a sarge branch to get it installed, the same happen with any other package without using Etch or Sid

More even, you can have a hibrid using Sarge/Etch just to get son packages more......

So, there are so many ways to get a package in debian even if you use sarge, there are backports for sarge which have a lots pacakges also...

Reegards

Bye
Linux User registred #399288
Acron_0248

Postby maybeInstallDebian » 2006-04-12 13:39

Acron_0248 wrote:The "problem" with the stable release on debian is just that the packages that come down from testing to stable have to pass lots of tests to prove they're a "never break" packages

Bye

Thank you for you answer but how is than support if I installed testin/unstable? How is system secure if I for example compare with Gentoo, Arch, SuSE...
Gnome is still default desktop? Why there are no options to choose which desktop user want? I read a poll and bigger percent of users use KDE?

Regards,

maybeInstallDebian
maybeInstallDebian

Postby polemicz » 2006-04-12 15:48

For desktop use Etch is quite stable and up to date. There are security updates for it. As a rule of thumb the newer the packages the more likely there will be bugs.
polemicz

Postby maybeInstallDebian » 2006-04-12 16:02

polemicz wrote:For desktop use Etch is quite stable and up to date. There are security updates for it. As a rule of thumb the newer the packages the more likely there will be bugs.

Yes, I understand it. Just two questions more, please:

how is about Xorg 7.0, Debian has 6.9 and about KDE. During installation if I choose Desktop than Debian install Gnome and after that is a lot of works to uninstall Gnome which I don't liked and install KDE. Is it true?

Thanks.
maybeInstallDebian

Postby Jeroen » 2006-04-12 21:14

xorg 7 vs xorg 6.9 is only different in packaging (build system, developer-only stuff), the actual software is exactly the same. For what it's worth, Xorg 7 landed in unstable two days ago.

You're correct about the default desktop task -- those tasks are to help users who don't know about gnome or kde to get a desktop. If you know what you want, you're free to simply not install the desktop task, and "aptitude install kde" after you're done with the basic install to get kde (and not gnome).
Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

Postby maybeInstallDebian » 2006-04-14 17:31

Jeroen wrote:xorg 7 vs xorg 6.9 is only different in packaging (build system, developer-only stuff), the actual software is exactly the same. For what it's worth, Xorg 7 landed in unstable two days ago.

You're correct about the default desktop task -- those tasks are to help users who don't know about gnome or kde to get a desktop. If you know what you want, you're free to simply not install the desktop task, and "aptitude install kde" after you're done with the basic install to get kde (and not gnome).

Thanks a lot. I will try testing...
maybeInstallDebian

Return to General Discussion