Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New to Debian

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
ImConfused

New to Debian

#1 Post by ImConfused »

I'm hoping that someone can help with my question. I just finished installing Debian yesterday, I do my first boot and go through the password stage then it stops at another part where there is the name of my network, which I don't have one, had to disable in bios in order to finish install. But at this stage there is my name and a $ sign.
I dont know what to give at this point. All I want to do is get up and running, then I can figure out what I want to do with it at that point.

Lou

#2 Post by Lou »

"I'm hoping that someone can help with my question. I just finished installing Debian yesterday, I do my first boot and go through the password stage then it stops at another part where there is the name of my network, which I don't have one, had to disable in bios in order to finish install. But at this stage there is my name and a $ sign."

That means you are 'user', type:

startx <Enter>

assuming you installed the X packages and a window manager, this should take you in a graphic mode.

"I dont know what to give at this point. All I want to do is get up and running, then I can figure out what I want to do with it at that point."

It seems to me you need to do some serious reading about Debian.

Absent Minded

Re:

#3 Post by Absent Minded »

Think Lou is right, sounds like you are sitting at a prompt. Which means "You are up and running" :) okay thats the good news. since you cannot use synaptics to install things yet I would recomend "apatitude" it seems to handle coralating things abit better than "dselect" . I wouldn't recomend getting tooo caried away selecting things just yet. Some basic things like mabe a GUI and the basic packages. After your GUI is up and running then Synaptics works great for selecting and installing. Also, I noted you had to disable your NIC .... You may need to add some places to get files from (repositories) if you dont have adiquit cd-dvd's availible. Mabe some one else will be nice enough to help with that as I am abit forgetful at times.

tommcd

Re:

#4 Post by tommcd »

Absent Minded wrote:Think Lou is right, sounds like you are sitting at a prompt. Which means "You are up and running" :) okay thats the good news. since you cannot use synaptics to install things yet I would recomend "apatitude" it seems to handle coralating things abit better than "dselect" . I wouldn't recomend getting tooo caried away selecting things just yet. Some basic things like mabe a GUI and the basic packages. After your GUI is up and running then Synaptics works great for selecting and installing. Also, I noted you had to disable your NIC .... You may need to add some places to get files from (repositories) if you dont have adiquit cd-dvd's availible. Mabe some one else will be nice enough to help with that as I am abit forgetful at times.

tommcd

#5 Post by tommcd »

Does debian have a synaptic package manager, like ubuntu does? If so, how do I use it?

hellfire[bg]

#6 Post by hellfire[bg] »

try to run the command synaptic. If it starts then you have it. However i think it is not installed by default (at least it was not in my case). To install it:
apt-get install synaptic (as root)

BTW synaptic is not a package manager. Ubuntu uses the debian package manager - apt (comes from Advanced Packaging Tool). Synaptic is simply a graphical user interface for apt. To learn more - man apt-get.
...to boldly go where no one has gone before...