Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

gaim

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Foxmuldar

gaim

#1 Post by Foxmuldar »

I tried to ./configure gaim and got this....what do i do?

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.0.0... no
*** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occurred. This usually means GLIB is incorrectly installed.
configure: error:
*** GLib 2.0 is required to build Gaim; please make sure you have the GLib
*** development headers installed. The latest version of GLib is
*** always available at http://www.gtk.org/.

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

When compiling from source, you must have installed on your computer the runtime libraries on which the package depends and also the development libraries. Do apt-cache search libglib and install the appropriate -dev library.

ajdlinux

#3 Post by ajdlinux »

You need libglib2.0-dev and libgtk2.0-dev:

$ su
Password: <password>
# apt-get install libglib2.0-dev libgtk2.0-dev
Reading package lists...

<etc>

Setting up libgtk2.0-dev...
# exit
$ ./configure

and it should mostly work.

PixelTwist

#4 Post by PixelTwist »

Edit: I just realized this is on the General Discussion board and probably should be somewhere else. Could a mod possibly move this?

I'm having this same problem. After going through what's in the previous post, gaim will still not install and I'm still getting that same error message.

Should I be in a certain directory before attempting the apt-get? I've been trying to install atk, cairo, fontconfig, freetype, glib and pango for two days now. They'll give me errors about needing another of the set in order to install correctly and stop. I haven't been able to get any of them installed successfully.

I'm trying to put them in /opt because I read somewhere in passing that's where they should go. Is there somewhere more correct I should be trying to put them?

Am I doing something wrong? These are the steps I'm taking:

$ cd /opt
$ su
Password:
# tar -xvzf oneofthepackages.tar.gz (or tar -jxvf apackage.tar.bz2)

<it unpacks>

# cd oneofthepackages
# ./configure

<it configures>

(Here is where it usually gives me an error about not having another one of the packages. Once Glib got through ./configure without giving me any errors so)

# make

<it does stuff>

(Here it gives me errors too, but if it didn't, then I would)

# make install (since I'm still root)

However, I don't think I've done it right at all.

Also, is there a way to force a directory and it's contents to delete, instead of having to remove everything from the directory before removing it? I've only been using Debian for about a week and I've mostly been using the programs that are already installed. However, Kopete is very unstable and buggy.

Thanks for any help. I'd like to figure this out.[/b]

kink
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#5 Post by kink »

Two things here:

1) Why don't you install the Debian packages instead of compiling it yourself? Esp if you're just using Debian for one week I'd recommend to stick with the packages. They just work. "aptitude install gaim".

2) If you really want to compile stuff (I harly ever do that) look closely at the error message and try to figure out (e.g. through http://packages.debian.org) what Debian package contains the missing links.

plugwash

#6 Post by plugwash »

if you just wan't to use gaim then i strongly suggest you use either the version from debian or if there is a problem with that (assuming you are running debian-stable) the version from backports.org

if you really wan't to build gaim from source first do

apt-get install build-essential
apt-get build-dep gaim

that should get most of the stuff you need to build gaim

apt-get always installs in the same place regardless of the current directory

as for deleting directories without emptying them first the command is rm -rf but BE EXTREMELY CAREFULL WHEN USING THAT COMMAND AS ROOT!

edit: minor correction in added in bold

PingFloyd

#7 Post by PingFloyd »

Personally, I don't see much point in compiling from source except as a last resort. I figure why reinvent the wheel if unneeded and someone, or some people, have already gone through all the effort to create a nice debian package, maintain it, and worked out all the kinks.

However, if you're doing it for learning purposes, then I can see going the route of compiling it yourself.

plugwash

#8 Post by plugwash »

that is ofc assuming that the debian package is usable.

ircu on woody is a good example of a package that is basically unusable, it had the network name "undernet" built in making it pretty much useless except for testing (later versions of ircu moved this to a runtime setting)

and then ofc there are the times when you wan't multiple copies of something installed or wan't to use third party patches.