Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

firefox coming back to debian

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
AnInkedSoul

firefox coming back to debian

#1 Post by AnInkedSoul »

darn....less flame fodder.....that kills the 'yes iceweasel is firefox' flamefests....
Work is under progress to get Firefox back in Debian (I do have good hope this will be possible).
http://glandium.org/blog/?p=1032
The Firefox logo, the very reason why Iceweasel exists, is now free as in speech. Its use is still limited by trademarks, but it is free.
http://glandium.org/blog/?p=933

Telemachus

Re: firefox coming back to debian

#2 Post by Telemachus »

I think this would be great. Not because Firefox is "better" than Iceweasel or whatever, but because this was always an unfortunate nitpicky battle that to my mind made FOSS look somewhat silly to outsiders. The whole thing became a lightning rod for extreme positions, and people just beat each other over it.

I would love to see Debian and Mozilla work this out.
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

AnInkedSoul

#3 Post by AnInkedSoul »

I agree as well....reluctantly though...it would be a good thing for a number of reasons...

besides apt beats aptitude any day of the week!

Telemachus

#4 Post by Telemachus »

AnInkedSoul wrote:besides apt beats aptitude any day of the week!
Uh huh. And apt-cache rocks.
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."

Soul Singin'

#5 Post by Soul Singin' »

NO !!!

Compare the two:

Image Image

Firefox is boring! . . Iceweasel is WAY cooler!

Don't sacrifice the cooler browser just to make a bunch of whiners happy !!!

carlos.fonke

#6 Post by carlos.fonke »

Debian should keep both.
debian testing | 64-bit || debian testing | 32-bit

Telemachus

#7 Post by Telemachus »

Soul Singin' wrote:Don't sacrifice the cooler browser just to make a bunch of whiners happy !!!
All due respect, but I don't think it's a matter of whiners. The fractions in the FOSS community are unfortunate. I would love to see this disagreement settled amicably.

Absent Minded

#8 Post by Absent Minded »

Interesting, I had thought that part of the Debian vs Firefox debate also included Debian's continuation of supporting FF in it's stable branch after FF moved to newer versions. If all this has just been over a graphic, seems. a bit petty.

I had meant "Over a single graphic."...
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

Serenity

#9 Post by Serenity »

The Firefox logo, the very reason why Iceweasel exists, is now free as in speech. Its use is still limited by trademarks, but it is free.
I thought that the trademarks were actually part of the reason for the rebranding. Mozilla assert that their trademarks over their product names means Debian can't backport security fixes to versions Mozilla have dropped support for without getting permission from Mozilla to attach their trademarks to non-official builds. Since the Debian maintainers couldn't argue with this but also feel the waiting is unacceptable, the rebranding came about so Debian have complete freedom to release what they want when they want. Reading Mozilla's trademark policy seems to indicate to me that it would be very difficult for Debian to abide by these terms.
Modifications

If you're taking full advantage of the open-source nature of Mozilla's products and making significant functional changes, you may not redistribute the fruits of your labor under any Mozilla trademark, without Mozilla's prior written consent. For example, if the product you've modified is Firefox, you may not use Mozilla or Firefox, in whole or in part, in its name. Also, it would be inappropriate for you to say "based on Mozilla Firefox". Instead, in the interest of complete accuracy, you could describe your executables as "based on Mozilla technology", or "incorporating Mozilla source code." In addition, you may want to read the discussion on the "Powered by Mozilla" logo.

In addition, if you compile a modified version, as discussed above, with branding enabled (the default in our source code is branding disabled), you will require Mozilla's prior written permission. If it's not the unmodified installer package from http://www.mozilla.com, and you want to use our trademark(s), our review and approval of your modifications is required. You also must change the name of the executable so as to reduce the chance that a user of the modified software will be misled into believing it to be a native Mozilla product.

Again, any modification to the Mozilla product, including adding to, modifying in any way, or deleting content from the files included with an installer, file location changes, added code, modification of any source files including additions and deletions, etc., will require our permission if you want to use the Mozilla Marks. If you have any doubt, just ask us at trademarks@mozilla.com.

Soul Singin'

#10 Post by Soul Singin' »

Telemachus wrote:
Soul Singin' wrote:Don't sacrifice the cooler browser just to make a bunch of whiners happy !!!
All due respect, but I don't think it's a matter of whiners. The fractions in the FOSS community are unfortunate. I would love to see this disagreement settled amicably.
Sorry. I should clarify. By "whiners," I did not mean long-time users who simply believe that the Open Source community should present a unified front.

By "whiners," I meant the people whose first experience with GNU/Linux began two months earlier with a botched installation of Ubuntu, who turn to Debian for a solution to all of their problems, see ugly websites in Iceweasel because of the User Agent issue and decide that Ubuntu is better because it has the "real" Firefox. :roll:

Telemachus

#11 Post by Telemachus »

Soul Singin' wrote:
Telemachus wrote:
Sorry. I should clarify. By "whiners," I did not mean long-time users who simply believe that the Open Source community should present a unified front.

By "whiners," I meant the people whose first experience with GNU/Linux began two months earlier with a botched installation of Ubuntu, who turn to Debian for a solution to all of their problems, see ugly websites in Iceweasel because of the User Agent issue and decide that Ubuntu is better because it has the "real" Firefox. :roll:
I absolutely agree that it would be wrong to switch for the second set of people/reasons.

Serenity

#12 Post by Serenity »

Soul Singin' wrote:By "whiners," I meant the people whose first experience with GNU/Linux began two months earlier with a botched installation of Ubuntu, who turn to Debian for a solution to all of their problems, see ugly websites in Iceweasel because of the User Agent issue and decide that Ubuntu is better because it has the "real" Firefox. :roll:
Does that actually happen? I thought the "(like Firefox x.x.x)" part of Iceweasel's user agent string solved all such problems in about 99.99% of cases.

I do tend to think of Iceweasel on Debian as the inferior experience compared to Firefox on Ubuntu though, but for a different reason.

Soul Singin'

#13 Post by Soul Singin' »

Serenity wrote:
Soul Singin' wrote:By "whiners," I meant the people whose first experience with GNU/Linux began two months earlier with a botched installation of Ubuntu, who turn to Debian for a solution to all of their problems, see ugly websites in Iceweasel because of the User Agent issue and decide that Ubuntu is better because it has the "real" Firefox. :roll:
Does that actually happen? I thought the "(like Firefox x.x.x)" part of Iceweasel's user agent string solved all such problems in about 99.99% of cases.
I'm still happy as a clam with Debian Lenny and Iceweasel 3.0, so I don't know what the new default string is.

In the past however, this forum saw many complaints from users who were unaware of the "user agent issue." Ex. 1, Ex. 2 and Ex. 3.

Absent Minded

#14 Post by Absent Minded »

Serenity wrote:I do tend to think of Iceweasel on Debian as the inferior experience compared to Firefox on Ubuntu though, but for a different reason.
Interesting since it would seem that only the bugs left unfixed in FF is what the Debian Devs are still fixing in IceWeasle on a Debian stable system.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

julian67

#15 Post by julian67 »

How can I install the real Iceweasel? I tried Firefox but it's definitely slower and some stuff doesn't work.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

craigevil

#16 Post by craigevil »

julian67 wrote:How can I install the real Iceweasel? I tried Firefox but it's definitely slower and some stuff doesn't work.
That is truly hilarious. :)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.6) Gecko/20100625 Firefox/3.6.6
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.4) Gecko/20100628 Iceweasel/3.6.4 (like Firefox/3.6.4)

The problem wasn't just the Firefox logo it was Debian patching versions of Firefox that were no longer supported by Mozilla.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Co ... _in_Debian for more information. http://glandium.org/blog/?p=933
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

AnInkedSoul

#17 Post by AnInkedSoul »

julian67 wrote:How can I install the real Iceweasel? I tried Firefox but it's definitely slower and some stuff doesn't work.
:lol:

julian67

#18 Post by julian67 »

craigevil wrote:
That is truly hilarious. :)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.6) Gecko/20100625 Firefox/3.6.6
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.4) Gecko/20100628 Iceweasel/3.6.4 (like Firefox/3.6.4)

The problem wasn't just the Firefox logo it was Debian patching versions of Firefox that were no longer supported by Mozilla.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Co ... _in_Debian for more information. http://glandium.org/blog/?p=933

I was being sarcastic
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

Absent Minded

#19 Post by Absent Minded »

Will the real "Slim Shady" please stand up?
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

nadir

#20 Post by nadir »

I was happy when i read that too:
link to
but never heard again of it
(wodim makes it difficult for me in case i use a non-Debian-OS, dunno the commands, and am lost).

Firefox back:
Good news
(and if only for the easy of communication)
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.