Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Ciel -- My Theme Proposal for Squeeze

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
secipolla

Re: Debian Ciel -- My Theme Proposal for Squeeze

#16 Post by secipolla »

Just thinking here, there's the square background for GRUB's menu (fine) , then there will be the SLiM panel at login screen (I don't know how GDM3 looks like). So having the Debian logo inside a square during splash we must be careful how it will look jumping from one square to another, maybe working on the splash with just the logo could look smoother.
I don't know if people use boot splash in Debian or how well/not so well it works, though.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#17 Post by canci »

secipolla wrote:sorry, I downloaded it and saw you already made a SLiM panel. I'll examine the contents now.[/b]

If I knew how to do this (I know it must be simple in GIMP) I would do it :wink:
Sorry, the SLiM folder was uploaded by mistake and only contains the svg. :) I'm currently working on it.

I use Inkscape, except when resizing the svg files and exporting them to png - that's Gimp's job.

As for the theme, I know it isn't that pleasant. Personally, I'd prefer the Unified theme and elementary icons any day,
but A.) my theme is already enough of an Apple rip off as it is and many people don't like that Apple fad ;) and
B.) the murine engine needed for many of the glossy new themes is too old in Squeeze.
I'll try and look at the murrine-themes provided in the repos.

I think FreeSans is a pretty nice font when you add some hinting on top. I used it in the artwork.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#18 Post by canci »

secipolla wrote:Just thinking here, there's the square background for GRUB's menu (fine) , then there will be the SLiM panel at login screen (I don't know how GDM3 looks like). So having the Debian logo inside a square during splash we must be careful how it will look jumping from one square to another, maybe working on the splash with just the logo could look smoother.
I don't know if people use boot splash in Debian or how well/not so well it works, though.
I don't have a KMS capable card, so for me there is always a break with a short black screen between splash and login manager. Hence I wouldn't notice it so much.
Granted, gdm3's input window is a standard GTK themed window without the window manager. See here:

Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

nitwit536

#19 Post by nitwit536 »

Your theme "ciel" is probably the best one I have seen so far...

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#20 Post by canci »

Just to say thanks again for all the compliments and that I've changed the theme proposals to
MurrinaBlu for GTK and Unity for Metacity. Very nice themes of which I was not even aware.
However, they might look a bit Apple-y and not be everyone's taste. I've also thought about changing
the rather blocky looking notification-daemon to notify-osd, which is also in the repos and, IMHO,
looks better. See for yourself:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes ... ifyosd.png

READ THIS:

secipolla

#21 Post by secipolla »

I've been using GRUB's background, GDM3 background and wallpaper for GNOME.
For GRUB I use the original smoky one since the nitid one, while beautiful by itself, makes reading the menus difficult.

Coco

#22 Post by Coco »

This is really great work. Well done!
"Giving the Linus Torvalds award to the Free Software Foundation is sort of like giving the Han Solo award to the Rebel Fleet." - Richard Stallman

My Libre.fm profile

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#23 Post by canci »

Thanks for your feedback!
secipolla wrote:I've been using GRUB's background, GDM3 background and wallpaper for GNOME.
For GRUB I use the original smoky one since the nitid one, while beautiful by itself, makes reading the menus difficult.
By nitid I suppose you mean the one with the glossy "panel" in the front? It's actually supposed to be used with a stripped down,
custom boot menu like the less technical distros use. Here is the mock-up:

This is doable with burg, but I haven't tried it out.

http://code.google.com/p/burg/wiki/Screenshots

READ THIS:

secipolla

Re: Debian Ciel -- My Theme Proposal for Squeeze [HELP NEEDED!]

#24 Post by secipolla »

No, I mean the one you made after Hallvor complained about the smoky one. I'm inclined to think that he actually didn't test it with GRUB. The alternative (nitid) that you made could be included as splash(?), GDM or desktop background but it doesn't work for GRUB. Only of course if one sets a coloured background for the menu but then it would cover the Debian logo anyway.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#25 Post by canci »

secipolla wrote:No, I mean the one you made after Hallvor complained about the smoky one. I'm inclined to think that he actually didn't test it with GRUB. The alternative (nitid) that you made could be included as splash(?), GDM or desktop background but it doesn't work for GRUB. Only of course if one sets a coloured background for the menu but then it would cover the Debian logo anyway.
Could be made brighter then. I really should test them as well. :D I'll try and make a new version with less contrast but no blur.

READ THIS:

secipolla

#26 Post by secipolla »

Testing is good. But the original one looks good.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#27 Post by Hallvor »

secipolla wrote:No, I mean the one you made after Hallvor complained about the smoky one. I'm inclined to think that he actually didn't test it with GRUB. The alternative (nitid) that you made could be included as splash(?), GDM or desktop background but it doesn't work for GRUB. Only of course if one sets a coloured background for the menu but then it would cover the Debian logo anyway.
I am starting to feel bad for complaining because I didn't test it in Grub. I just assumed it would look too blurry (but assumption is also the mother of all f*ckups). :wink:
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#28 Post by canci »

Haha, it's OK. I also made a new one instead of testing it in Grub! :D
It's always good to have choice, no?

READ THIS:

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#29 Post by Hallvor »

canci wrote:Haha, it's OK. I also made a new one instead of testing it in Grub! :D
It's always good to have choice, no?
Yes, that's why we are here. :D
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

secipolla

#30 Post by secipolla »

For grub it has to be something with low contrast or fuzzy. You can also make something that has a logo or a clear image but that has to be above the menu box (and not in the center that has the grub version) or below the message about the available commands.
Like the current default: http://yfrog.com/htmoreblueorbitgrubp

And sorry for the "nitid", I confounded myself with the Portuguese term for "clear".

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#31 Post by canci »

@secipola: TNX, I'll try this approach as well. I'll also try and configure grub to show the images just so I can test all these.

READ THIS:

sickie

#32 Post by sickie »

Great work, canci. It's the best theme of all proposed themes. I hope that Squeeze will be Debian Cieliezed :D
Does anybody know if there'll be any deb packages released before Squeeze will get released?
:shock:

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#33 Post by canci »

@sickie: TNX, you make me blush! :) deb packages are a possibility if anyone is nice enough to make them.
I personally have little experience with them. If you know anyone, help is always welcome!
Also, the theme is public domain, so everyone can hack on it till they drop! :)
The wiki has a probably not so complete TODO list:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes ... -ciel#TODO

READ THIS:

hellfire[bg]

#34 Post by hellfire[bg] »

Very nice theme. If there is a vote for Debian`s theme i think i will vote for your theme.
...to boldly go where no one has gone before...

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#35 Post by canci »

Thanks to everyone who gave feedback! Here is a new, brighter version of the theme:

2.0 - 2010.10.13

* a new, brighter and happier version with clouds
* now with KDM and KSplash theme
* wallpaper, GDM and grub background are now the same image
* added dark grey Debian menu icon
* changed GTK theme proposal to MurrinaAquaish
* changed Metacity theme proposal to Murrina Rounded
* changed GTK icon theme proposal to Tango
* added LXDE theme proposals (Openbox Clearlooks and GTK as above); also made an LXDE logout splash

READ THIS: