Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Ciel -- My Theme Proposal for Squeeze

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Debian Ciel -- My Theme Proposal for Squeeze [HELP NEEDED!]

#31 Post by canci »

@secipola: TNX, I'll try this approach as well. I'll also try and configure grub to show the images just so I can test all these.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

sickie

#32 Post by sickie »

Great work, canci. It's the best theme of all proposed themes. I hope that Squeeze will be Debian Cieliezed :D
Does anybody know if there'll be any deb packages released before Squeeze will get released?
:shock:

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#33 Post by canci »

@sickie: TNX, you make me blush! :) deb packages are a possibility if anyone is nice enough to make them.
I personally have little experience with them. If you know anyone, help is always welcome!
Also, the theme is public domain, so everyone can hack on it till they drop! :)
The wiki has a probably not so complete TODO list:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes ... -ciel#TODO
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

hellfire[bg]

#34 Post by hellfire[bg] »

Very nice theme. If there is a vote for Debian`s theme i think i will vote for your theme.
...to boldly go where no one has gone before...

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#35 Post by canci »

Thanks to everyone who gave feedback! Here is a new, brighter version of the theme:

2.0 - 2010.10.13

* a new, brighter and happier version with clouds
* now with KDM and KSplash theme
* wallpaper, GDM and grub background are now the same image
* added dark grey Debian menu icon
* changed GTK theme proposal to MurrinaAquaish
* changed Metacity theme proposal to Murrina Rounded
* changed GTK icon theme proposal to Tango
* added LXDE theme proposals (Openbox Clearlooks and GTK as above); also made an LXDE logout splash

READ THIS:

secipolla

#36 Post by secipolla »

Hi canci. Thank you. I think this tone of blue will look even better with my LXDE theme.
I've been using the original grub image as well as the gdm3 and wallpaper.
I didn't test the new version yet but I would like to share that I like the gdm background not having an icon and then the wallpaper having one.
First the login window would be over the Debian icon (I don't know yet how to take a screenshot of gdm3, except by opening a session in a window) and second because it's actually a nice effect when the wallpaper takes over the gdm image and the logo gradually appears (in GNOME the wallpaper appears gradually). See video attached.
Attachments
out.ogv.tar.gz
(235.33 KiB) Downloaded 158 times

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#37 Post by canci »

secipolla wrote:Hi canci. Thank you. I think this tone of blue will look even better with my LXDE theme.
I've been using the original grub image as well as the gdm3 and wallpaper.
I didn't test the new version yet but I would like to share that I like the gdm background not having an icon and then the wallpaper having one.
First the login window would be over the Debian icon (I don't know yet how to take a screenshot of gdm3, except by opening a session in a window) and second because it's actually a nice effect when the wallpaper takes over the gdm image and the logo gradually appears (in GNOME the wallpaper appears gradually). See video attached.
OK, I'll make a separate one without the logo and we'll put it to a vote. I'll also make a new version with a red Debian icon. I'm glad you liked the theme :)

It's actually fairly easy to start any application, and thus also a screenshooter, during gdm, as it has a special folder where you just copy any .desktop file from /usr/share/applications/ or just symlink it. I used ksnapshot as it gave me all functionality really quickly. I used the same method to start Gnome's appearance window and also gconf editor in order to change GDM's theme. Here is the guide:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=830238

READ THIS:

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#38 Post by canci »

New update...

2.1 - 2010.10.14
* Debian Ciel got a bit of lipstick ;) Reintroducing the rather pinkish Debian logo by popular request.
Thanks to Yves and all others for the suggestion!
* overhauled the wallpaper and other backgrounds; slightly more gradients
* SLiM theme!
* new and better KDM theme!
* GDM / KDM backgrounds now without disturbing logo (thanks to secipolla)
* new pinkish Debian icon
* added Xfce theming proposal

READ THIS:

secipolla

#39 Post by secipolla »

I'm yet with 2.0 but here's my baby blue setup. I have even a combining Firefox look.
Synaptic also looks good with a rosy/salmon+light blue theme, reminds of those '50s buildings.

jmtd

#40 Post by jmtd »

Very brief post, will try to elaborate.

Started a discussion on -release and -project about themes, agree with most posters that Ciel is the best candidate for a default squeeze theme.

Evaluating the theme would be much easier if it was packaged up so that you could install it and select it.

Also, watching for changes, submitting changes etc would be a lot easier if development was in a VCS repository. Not random tarball drops on megaupload! :-)

I spent a few minutes building a ciel-icon-theme package and decided to combine that with the contents of the 2.0 tar ball (I started this before the megaupload link was posted). I stuck the result at http://github.com/jmtd/ciel

if you check that out, cd to the ciel-icon-theme directory and "debuild", you get a .deb which provides a Ciel icon theme, at least.

jmtd

#41 Post by jmtd »

PS I like(d) the grey swirl :)

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#42 Post by canci »

Wow, tnx! This is finally taking shape... I tend to like the red swirl better. We should maybe have a vote and then decide. Or better yet, make 2 versions.
I have no idea how to package stuff, so this is really a bigbang-send if I may say so :)

I'm not using Debian right now, but will try to use the icon theme manually. TNX for your work!

READ THIS:

secipolla

#43 Post by secipolla »

canci, the file in megaupload is "temporarily" unavailable.
Maybe you could upload it to sendspace.com

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#44 Post by canci »

Use the mirror on the wiki below it.

http://linuxgen.com/debian/ciel-2.1.tar.gz

READ THIS:

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#45 Post by canci »

jmtd wrote: I spent a few minutes building a ciel-icon-theme package and decided to combine that with the contents of the 2.0 tar ball (I started this before the megaupload link was posted). I stuck the result at http://github.com/jmtd/ciel
Why didn't I think about that? Just put the swirl into the correct folders and let it inherit the Tango icon theme. Easy as pie! :D TNX for the idea! Mind if I steel it? ;)
The guys over at the official debian-desktop mailing list gave me an SVN account, so I will commit there from tomorrow. Of course, you can track it on GIT if you want,
or fork it to make an evil, dark grey version :P, but it's better if we contribute there. I have no idea how SVN works, so it's howto time tomorrow. I also have no idea
who could give you an account, but you could subscribe to the mailing list here:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-desktop/

Expect "code" from tomorrow (lol, actually today, it's 3 AM already) on this channel :P :
http://svn.debianart.org/themes/ciel

EDIT: Done! The SVN now has Debian Ciel 2.1

READ THIS:

Coco

#46 Post by Coco »

Hey dude, I'd just like to say this theme is shaping up very well! I really hope this gets chosen!
"Giving the Linus Torvalds award to the Free Software Foundation is sort of like giving the Han Solo award to the Rebel Fleet." - Richard Stallman

My Libre.fm profile

secipolla

#47 Post by secipolla »

Hi canci, the svg icon for the menu doesn't seem to work. I set it up with update-alternatives (start-here.svg). It has that square frame around it, maybe that's what's making it not work (and the png icons don't work for that either).
Am I missing anything?

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#48 Post by canci »

Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you meant by a square around the icon. Could you maybe post a screenshot? TNX. Could it be that you're running on 16 bit rather than 24? The icon has a blurred gradient glow behind it which probably needs the extra 8bit for transparency. In Inkscape, if I choose that particular glow, it is in a square shape.

EDIT: Or maybe update-alternatives converts it? I'm not familiar with it. Just wait a day or so, I should be having the icon theme ready for testing.

READ THIS:

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#49 Post by canci »

UPDATE: This is Debian Ciel 2.2 - the final commit. The grey version is back and the theming has been dropped since there just doesn't seem to be enough time for testing. I'm still hoping the newly created icon theme will make it though. Thank you for all your feedback and help! :)

READ THIS:

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#50 Post by canci »

UPDATE: The SVN is now up to date as well...

READ THIS: