Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

LXDE, the worst DE

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
renatov

Re: LXDE, the worst DE

#61 Post by renatov »

ivanovnegro wrote:
renatov wrote:I prefer fluxbox. It's lightweight, very flexbible and totally beautiful :D
Nice setup you have, I must admit, I never played with Fluxbox, have to do that one day.
Thanx! Fluxbox is just great. When you realize the flexibility it offers, you will be amazed for the many possibilities you can customize your desktop.
Xubuntu 14.04
Usuário #517613

tuxracer

#62 Post by tuxracer »

*lxterminal..... title bar is missing.

*cpu usage monitor doesn't illustrate stats (no percentages) and is greyed out when you try to access the settings.

There's a long list but it seems bugs just get passed on.

jw013

#63 Post by jw013 »

tuxracer wrote:*lxterminal..... title bar is missing.

*cpu usage monitor doesn't illustrate stats (no percentages) and is greyed out when you try to access the settings.

This is not the right place to file bug reports. Try bugs.debian.org. Or if you think it's an upstream issue contact the LXDE devs directly.

dbbolton

#64 Post by dbbolton »

I think the DE part is kind of a stretch. It implies some sort of cohesion between the components.
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

Bulkley

#65 Post by Bulkley »

The beauty of Linux on a personal computer is choice. Complaining about LXDE is silly. I don't subscribe to any pre-configured desktop environment as such. I use Openbox embellished with tools and features from a variety of sources, including a few from LXDE. What is sitting in front of me is configured to the way I want it, not to the whims of someone else.

dagdeniz

#66 Post by dagdeniz »

tuxracer wrote:*lxterminal..... title bar is missing.

You should've considered opening threads about these "bugs" (although I suspect that you already know that cpu usage monitor plugin has no settings at all and is not supposed to open a system monitor when clicked). So, you don't know, and all I should tell you is: cpu usage monitor plugin has no settings at all and is not supposed to open a system monitor when clicked. What you want is LXTask. It should be listed under system tools in your LXMenu. If you think the plugin is useless by just showing some green graphics at your panel, you can either remove the plugin and use LXTask instead, or submit a feature request to LXDE team.

For the terminal, I don't get what you mean when you say "titlebar". LXTerminal consists of window decoration, menubar and tabbar (activated when you open a new tab). If the menubar or tabbar is missing, you're probably not using LXTerminal (i.e., the default terminal application is not LXTerminal). If your problem is what I've just explained, just run

Code: Select all

update-alternatives --config x-terminal-emulator
and change the default to your liking. If I got it wrong, please consider to RTFM and then to open a thread about your problem at "Desktop & Multimedia" or "Beginners Questions" section. The helpful people here at debian fourums will sure help you if they can. After finding out that you really found a bug, you can
jw013 wrote:Try bugs.debian.org. Or if you think it's an upstream issue contact the LXDE devs directly.

tuxracer

#67 Post by tuxracer »

The LXDE / XFCE cd image installs LXDE by default! I didn't even get the chance to install XFCE. I thought there should be a choice.

I had other problems and my grub file got wiped out and thinking it would re-install it with the detected operating systems as shown, it proceeds to wipe that out as well.

Epic fail!!!!

tuxracer

#68 Post by tuxracer »

Don't forget, LXTerminal doesn't paint the screen properly! Ah, so great to have the desktop background, colors and all, in my terminal window!

THANKS, DEBIAN!! NICE JOB! Maybe should get together with those LXDE developer wizards.... or maybe you did?

Randicus

#69 Post by Randicus »

I disagree that Lxde is the worst. It does have a few insufficiencies, but over-all is quite good. The two things that bother me are: 1) Desktop icons cannot be moved. It is a very minor issue, but bothers me because the task bar can be put on the top, bottom, left or right and its icons can be placed on the left/top, right/bottom or centre, but icons on the desktop are locked in place. That is rather inconsistent. Why so much freedom in placement of the task bar, but no freedom at all on the desktop?
2) The big flaw is the file manager does not list items, at least images, in proper order. I have thousands of photographs using a simple naming system: a1, a2, b1, b2, etc. Lxde lists them in a completely chaotic manner. Annoying when looking for a specific image and unusable when wanting to view images in the proper sequence.
Other than that, Lxde is wonderful. The look is simple, but elegant. I have tried Fluxbox and Openbox. They are a nightmare to configure, while configuring Lxde is as simple as Xfce and almost as simple as Gnome.
At present, Xfce is better than Lxde, but Lxde has much potential. With a little fine-tuning, it could be the best DE bar none. Hopefully that will happen. Especially considering Gnome's shift to an Ubuntu Unity/mobile telephone appearance.

zetetic

#70 Post by zetetic »

tuxracer wrote:Don't forget, LXTerminal doesn't paint the screen properly! Ah, so great to have the desktop background, colors and all, in my terminal window!

THANKS, DEBIAN!! NICE JOB! Maybe should get together with those LXDE developer wizards.... or maybe you did?
Do yourself a favor and please don't use GNU/Linux.
Even if you learned to read you would lack the intelligence to understand what is written.

rokytnji

#71 Post by rokytnji »

As a learning process for me. I run different Desktops from (lately) LXDE, Fluxbox, and Icewm.

I have had more practice with tweaking Fluxbox

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx15 ... hot1-1.jpg

and Icewm

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/7922 ... shotcy.jpg

Than I have with LXDE

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/7497/desktop1001.png

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx15 ... y/lxde.jpg

Found a few bugs with Lxde but was able to fix it with just some basic searching. All my Desktops came from Debian Testing Repos. I just find that nothing worth having comes easy. One must work to get what one wants. Now that I have LXDE sorted. I enjoy it and am not un-installing it.

tuxracer

#72 Post by tuxracer »

Yes, I understand one often has to tweak the desktop a bit to one's liking but I wasn't talking about that in my last post. Nevermind that it is somewhat difficult to even do so with one example, the menu editor. But, I was taking issue with LXTerminal and the fact the terminal window didn't get painted properly. The window still had the 'blue' LXDE screen.

I've noticed this before and it was even considered a bug and bugs were reported way back when with this issue.

This is going back some years when LXDE first came out. I will re-install Debian and try to install XFCE but it is still a valid complaint.

This is what drives some people crazy. These developers are always doing changes/modifications and 'enhancements' to their desktop environment and adding 'new features' and then you get that stuff (sometimes, it returns!).

Some functions get ignored while others not only get worked on but to the point it is an entirely new presentation. Just look at Gnome 3, Unity, KDE 4 etc. etc. and on and on.

Imho, it's often a negative result.

Randicus

#73 Post by Randicus »

tuxracer wrote: Some functions get ignored while others not only get worked on but to the point it is an entirely new presentation. Just look at Gnome 3, Unity, KDE 4 etc. etc. and on and on.
Imho, it's often a negative result.
Completely true. Many people feel that things must evolve, which often leads to change for the sake of change. Things are changed that do not need to be changed, while things that could be improved are not touched. In the drive for "evolution" obvious things that easily catch the eye are changed, sometimes regardless whether or not change is necessary, while less obvious things that should be changed are not. Ubuntu is case that comes to mind. And Gnome is following Unity's lead, because people like eye candy.

dagdeniz

#74 Post by dagdeniz »

tuxracer wrote:The LXDE / XFCE cd image installs LXDE by default! I didn't even get the chance to install XFCE. I thought there should be a choice.

I had other problems and my grub file got wiped out and thinking it would re-install it with the detected operating systems as shown, it proceeds to wipe that out as well.
You've reinstalled the entire system just to install XFCE?

You're awesome :lol:
------------------------------
And you were not able to find XFCE in the installation media? Haven't you read any installation guides?
tuxracer wrote:Epic fail!!!!
------------------------------
tuxracer wrote:I will re-install Debian and try to install XFCE but it is still a valid complaint.
Wow! Great! But still, don't torture yourself, try to install xfce without reinstalling

dbbolton

#75 Post by dbbolton »

rokytnji wrote:As a learning process for me. I run different Desktops from (lately) LXDE, Fluxbox, and Icewm.

I have had more practice with tweaking Fluxbox

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx15 ... hot1-1.jpg

and Icewm

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/7922 ... shotcy.jpg

Than I have with LXDE

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/7497/desktop1001.png

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx15 ... y/lxde.jpg

Found a few bugs with Lxde but was able to fix it with just some basic searching. All my Desktops came from Debian Testing Repos. I just find that nothing worth having comes easy. One must work to get what one wants. Now that I have LXDE sorted. I enjoy it and am not un-installing it.
Biker chick, biker chick, biker chick, ... parrot?
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

rokytnji

#76 Post by rokytnji »

Biker chick, biker chick, biker chick, ... parrot?
For when my wife looks over my shoulder. :)

dotlj

#77 Post by dotlj »

Bulkley wrote:The beauty of Linux on a personal computer is choice. Complaining about LXDE is silly. I don't subscribe to any pre-configured desktop environment as such. I use Openbox embellished with tools and features from a variety of sources, including a few from LXDE. What is sitting in front of me is configured to the way I want it, not to the whims of someone else.
Absolutely. Buy M$, a Mac and you are stuck with what you get - minimal configuration. Download free Linux, choose you distro, choose to have a GUI or not, choose your DE, choose the way you set it up. Of course with so many users, not everyone is going to agree on one DE. Doesn't mean one is worse or better than an other; it only means one user at one time prefers one DE to another.

tuxracer

#78 Post by tuxracer »

Hey, I installed xfce for my Debian install and I like it.

Did you guys read about what Linus said about Gnome 3? I don't think he ever went back to KDE 4.

http://digitizor.com/2011/08/04/linus-t ... -for-xfce/

I will probably put my desktop back together. I was going to part it out so I could upgrade but for now, I'll probably do a fresh install of Debian xfce (although, unlike my old laptop, the desktop is capable or powerful enough to run KDE or Gnome).

But, xfce probably will do what I want to do.

Thanks for the suggestions and putting up with my earlier complaints! :) Sorry about that! My laptop has been giving me problems for a while but I am confident that I'll get Debian installed on it soon.

I have an extra partition so I think I'll have one running stable and maybe the other one sid or testing. Of course, I'll probably upgrade via stable to get there.

XFCE is my choice for either system since I should become sufficiently familiar or even proficient after a while. ;-)

marky611

#79 Post by marky611 »

tuxracer wrote:I installed Debian w/ LXDE and Lubuntu on my Thinkpad T41 laptop a while ago. I have since decided that I despise LXDE. There is poor integration or availability of features. No convenient way to add to keyboard layout among many others, for e.g. Also, the neglect of all the flaws by the devs.

But, one of my biggest issues has been other minor but really annoying quirks. Such as the scrollbar in my browsers. I can barely see them and I did try to change my brightness settings but it didn't help. LXDE is the most overrated, useless DE to come out, definitely.

There is little change in the features and as XFCE, KDE and Gnome are constantly changing and evolving, LXDE stays static and at a most primitive state.

I would re-install a different DE but my laptop has other problems (hardware). I'll be considering it, though. I have since lost my Lubuntu install (for whatever reason, once it loads, it's just a blue screen with the logo). I don't get the fanfare that comes with LXDE. It's one thing to be a low resources DE (which can be had with XFCE, openbox, fluxbox, Enlightenment etc.) but another when it's completely useless and lacks features.

Hopefully, DEs like XFCE can become more efficent but not lose the useful features that it offers.
I agree I hate LXDE it is crap compared to xfce.

PAP

#80 Post by PAP »

I would suggest to anyone reading this topic to completely ignore posts with nonsense like "LXDE is crap". Best way is to try it yourself and see if you like it or not. I would not say "it is crap" even for KDE or Gnome, which I don't like at all, and I never use them.
LXDE is not my everyday DE, at least not for now, but it is pretty good, lightweight, and more configurable than some people report here, apparently without giving it a real try first.
Linux Salix 3.10.17 #2 SMP Fri Feb 14 16:45:28 CST 2014 x86_64
Last Debian used: Linux debian 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt9-3 (2015-04-23) x86_64 GNU/Linux