Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

LXDE, the worst DE

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
misfire99

Re: LXDE, the worst DE

#46 Post by misfire99 »

I don't find anything other then little children saying "I don't want to eat my pees." The complaints are very shallow. It doesn't have a gui to setup my whatever. You got to be kidding me. If you want guis and hand holding use KDE or run Ubuntu or both. I dislike them both so it should suit you just fine. I dislike gui's, I want human readable text files. I like the command line. Having to click on things is being stuck in mac land hell. But you know to each his own. Most people use windows because they don't know any better. So if you have castoff the yolk of Micro and Soft you know that the *nix world is much better. No other OS has as many window managers then Linux. If you don't like one then try another. If you don't like any of them learn to write your own. You can use the code from the parts you do like to make your own WM. Then somebody that doesn't want to eat their pees will complain about the one you wrote.

In the old days, like a decade or so ago, cpu power was expensive, memory was expensive, storage was expensive. Now adays I pay less then a quarter of what I paid for a ten meg hard to get a 500gig drive. I can buy memory with the change that falls out of my pocket when I pull out my keys. And the CPU in my laptop has exponentially more power then what was in the Apollo that put men on the moon. So is there really a need for stripped down window mangers? If you have a box that is more then ten years old throw it away and get a new one. It's worth it. I've thrown away all my MFM drives.

And by the way I like LXDE but I also like fluxbox but I use Gnome and I am waiting with baited breath for Gnome3. It's sounds very interesting. And to close I will quote Linus T. on KDE 4 "Oh my god what a disaster."

jw013

#47 Post by jw013 »

misfire99 wrote: In the old days, like a decade or so ago, cpu power was expensive, memory was expensive, storage was expensive. Now adays I pay less then a quarter of what I paid for a ten meg hard to get a 500gig drive. I can buy memory with the change that falls out of my pocket when I pull out my keys. And the CPU in my laptop has exponentially more power then what was in the Apollo that put men on the moon. So is there really a need for stripped down window mangers? If you have a box that is more then ten years old throw it away and get a new one. It's worth it. I've thrown away all my MFM drives.
Most window managers are pretty light anyways. The bloat people talk about in GNOME and KDE comes from all the other stuff in the environment. I think metacity and kwin would be fairly boring and bare without the rest of the DE, and it's that other stuff that is bloated enough to drag down even relatively powerful machines. Not everyone has the money to buy the latest hardware just to waste cpu cycles on useless graphical effects. Meanwhile other window managers traditionally used without DE's can do so much more than either of metacity and kwin can.

Also, it's "peas" :wink:

bw123

#48 Post by bw123 »

misfire99 wrote: I've thrown away all my MFM drives.
I could sure use a spare mfm card for an old pair of st-225 drives I put the stupid thing in backwards about 5 years ago and the magic smoke came out.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

tuxracer

#49 Post by tuxracer »

LXDE is still the ABSOLUTE WORST DE In Debian!

I tried to print something in Chrome and it's just showing 'processing' but I cannot cancel the print jobs in any way.

There's nothing showing up in Printers whatsoever.

What a POS!

confuseling

#50 Post by confuseling »

1) Stop using it.

2) Keep using it, be quietly annoyed, but don't keep posting these 'updates'.

3) Be branded a troll.

Choices, choices...
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here

tuxracer

#51 Post by tuxracer »

What about #4)

DEBIAN AND LXDE COULD FIX THE #$#$# PROBLEMS!

Whoever is to blame.........

I guess LXDE...

Issues:
* constant internet disconnections
* terminal window bar is missing
* I had to use CLI to add keyboard layouts

It goes on and on... Debian's LXDE edition shouldn't even be released.... it's pathetic.... it should not be a release...

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#52 Post by oswaldkelso »

We it runs great here. I have an old imac 333mHz 256MB running LXDE as a guest visitor machine. Many people use it as we are a wwoof host so I enabled auto login and only one has asked for help (flash there isn't any) I showed her umplayer for youtube and that was that. 20+ people have used it now and 95% never seen a Debian machine let alone LXDE. No need to show people how to do diddly squat. No problems at all, it just works. I did find someone using netsurf instead of epiphany or iceape, quite happily I might add. Also my daughter has run LXDE on Blag for nearly a year in preference to Gnome. Same again no problems. If there’s some thing wrong with the setup on your hardware file a bug report reinstall or switch DE because it's not normal in my experience.
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

jw013

#53 Post by jw013 »

tuxracer wrote:What about #4)

DEBIAN AND LXDE COULD FIX THE #$#$# PROBLEMS!

Whoever is to blame.........

I guess LXDE...
This thread and forum is the wrong place for such complaints. If there is something wrong with LXDE, file a detailed bug report with instructions on how to reproduce the issue. I doubt any LXDE developers or Debian maintainers read this forum, so you are just wasting your time here.

Also, keep in mind the people who make Debian and LXDE (and the people who fix bugs) are volunteers. Since you probably paid zero to use LXDE, you have about as much (as in, zero) right to make demands from its developers. If you file useful bug reports (at the correct place, not here) and adopt a helpful attitude you'd probably get farther. If something really irritates you then either fix it yourself and submit a patch upstream, or if you can't, maybe offer some hard cash to the devs to motivate them to work on your issue first.

It seems to me LXDE works fine for most other people here. I wonder which is more likely: that most other people are just too oblivious to notice problems, or that you have something misconfigured or otherwise not set up properly. If you have a rare or unusual configuration which does not work well with the default LXDE install, let the devs know. Even better, figure it out and then tell the devs so other people who have a similar setup to yours can benefit.

Turbine

#54 Post by Turbine »

Agreed, I also found LXDE extremely slow.

XFCE is much better IMO, more feature rich, constant updates, great integration and it looks a lot better.

dagdeniz

#55 Post by dagdeniz »

confuseling wrote:1) Stop using it.

2) Keep using it, be quietly annoyed, but don't keep posting these 'updates'.

3) Be branded a troll.

Choices, choices...
That's wrong! The right version would be:

1) Stop using it

1) But keep the updates

1) Be branded as a troll, install it again to still be able to keep the updates

No connection or scrollbar problems here, no need to add additional layouts here (I'd use setxkbmap if I needed), no broken parts of lxde here (so no need to get any update here); better mounting support for regular users than, say, KDE, no buggy cd burning applications (wodim saves your dvd's) plus everything I need out of the box: a panel, a customizable menu, and a button to shutdown or restart the computer!
tuxracer wrote:Debian's LXDE edition shouldn't even be released.... it's pathetic.... it should not be a release...
I've told your situation to the developers; they are going to cancel the developments if you use the DE one more month.

By the way, I'd like lynx to have support css (css3, please), javascript (selective javascript, please) and to pass acid3 testing but still be standalone and consume the same resources; but it sucks. I'm even considering to demand a refund.

sqlpython

#56 Post by sqlpython »

Opinions are good.. :)
They do drive development.
........ though it is only fair not to be disrespectful to a fine project such as LXDE...
Is it Feature packed and granular like KDE or Gnome..No, but it is light and quick and Looks Kool.. 8)
LXDE brings just an alternative choice, and a good one, to the DE table..

I have used LXDE a number of times and once customized to my needs I liked it just fine..
....And did I mention that "it looks Kool" ? 8)
To the Devs at LXDE.... Keep UP the Good Work!
More people find LXDE pleasing and useful then Not..
Criticism accepted for solutions that work! ;^)

ivanovnegro

#57 Post by ivanovnegro »

I prefer Xfce but I like LXDE, I do not see any problems with it. Would my machine be older and slower I would install it.

tuxracer

#58 Post by tuxracer »

Sorry.... I guess my complaints don't matter.

I installed the keyboard layout using someone's post (I forget where I found it) via CLI but I think that is really pushing it if it is to be a convenient DE. I know low resources is good but c'mon.

I installed the latest Lubuntu on another machine and it had a GUI for adding whatever layout you want with point and click/add.

Does the latest LXDE edition in Debian have this now or is lxpanel still the same with no options in the keyboard tab for this? In other words, do you still have to do this manually?

I don't know if you install a package or app to include a 'GUI method' but it would be nice.

I had to guess at the layout or figure out what should be there. 'Not complaining but still...

I guess my criticism would have been more constructive if I didn't think the tool was rather fundamental. I know the programmers are talented but I figure it's something they're just passing on to do something else.

I apologize for the outburst. Maybe I'll install the latest LXDE edition some time but for now, I think I might try xfce next time I do an install.

renatov

#59 Post by renatov »

I prefer fluxbox. It's lightweight, very flexbible and totally beautiful :D

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5250/pri ... 33m07s.png

In my opinion, it's good to use LXDE parts separated. For example, if you must have a "start button" in your taskbar and if you want to use fluxbox, you can switch fluxbox panel for LXDE panel. You can also use some other parts too. LXDE is like a lego hehehh
Xubuntu 14.04
Usuário #517613

ivanovnegro

#60 Post by ivanovnegro »

renatov wrote:I prefer fluxbox. It's lightweight, very flexbible and totally beautiful :D
Nice setup you have, I must admit, I never played with Fluxbox, have to do that one day.

renatov

#61 Post by renatov »

ivanovnegro wrote:
renatov wrote:I prefer fluxbox. It's lightweight, very flexbible and totally beautiful :D
Nice setup you have, I must admit, I never played with Fluxbox, have to do that one day.
Thanx! Fluxbox is just great. When you realize the flexibility it offers, you will be amazed for the many possibilities you can customize your desktop.
Xubuntu 14.04
Usuário #517613

tuxracer

#62 Post by tuxracer »

*lxterminal..... title bar is missing.

*cpu usage monitor doesn't illustrate stats (no percentages) and is greyed out when you try to access the settings.

There's a long list but it seems bugs just get passed on.

jw013

#63 Post by jw013 »

tuxracer wrote:*lxterminal..... title bar is missing.

*cpu usage monitor doesn't illustrate stats (no percentages) and is greyed out when you try to access the settings.

There's a long list but it seems bugs just get passed on.
This is not the right place to file bug reports. Try bugs.debian.org. Or if you think it's an upstream issue contact the LXDE devs directly.

dbbolton

#64 Post by dbbolton »

I think the DE part is kind of a stretch. It implies some sort of cohesion between the components.
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

Bulkley

#65 Post by Bulkley »

The beauty of Linux on a personal computer is choice. Complaining about LXDE is silly. I don't subscribe to any pre-configured desktop environment as such. I use Openbox embellished with tools and features from a variety of sources, including a few from LXDE. What is sitting in front of me is configured to the way I want it, not to the whims of someone else.