Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What desktop/window manager do you use?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

What desktop environment/window manager do you use?

GNOME 2
28%
GNOME 3
6%
KDE
13%
Unity
No votes
XFCE
27%
LXDE
2%
Enlightenment
1%
Openbox
9%
Another window manager/desktop not listed
13%

Total votes: 310

confuseling

Re: What desktop/window manager do you use?

#46 Post by confuseling »

Well, there are simple tiling window managers. Bluetile, a fork (or perhaps an inbuilt variant configuration... not sure) of xmonad, is supposed to be pretty simple, though I've never used it.

Musca is also very nice as an introduction, though I've no idea if you can persuade it to run on Debian.

That said, you *really* don't need any more than the cheatsheet to get started. Configuration of something like xmonad can be complex (though even then, the user community is exemplary in its helpfulness), but actually using it isn't - confusing, yes, until it 'clicks', but not complicated.

This page tells you most of it...

http://xmonad.org/tour.html
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here

dmhdlr

#47 Post by dmhdlr »

confuseling wrote:There is - they save much time and screen space (although I'm sure you can configure minimal stacking window managers to not waste screen space, you can't arrange things as quickly in them).

I wouldn't say once you've used them you'll never go back - I still use both. But I would say that if you have your head around how a tiling one works, and know the keyboard shortcuts instinctively (they do tend to be very keyboard driven), it's extremely efficient.

The whole l33t thing... Meh. Some people who think they're immensely cool for using them use them, but that doesn't mean all people who use them do so because it makes them feel cool. You could say much the same about Linux...

That said, there is something to be said for elegance. You can know a program is designed beautifully, and derive more pleasure from using it - as irrational as it may be - because of that. xmonad strikes me as elegant, partly because of its almost 'stark' simplicity.
Thanks for response. Yeah, you can't say I'm using Linux because I'm a pragmatist. I was taking a look at screencasts of xmonad, and elegant seems a good way to describe it. I think I'll eventually give something like that a try. I am easily distracted and if I keep my hand away from the mouse I might be less inclined to waste time on the intertubes, and spend more time on my keyboard where the real work happens.
[formerly known as Deckard]
"Emacs: making you posthuman since 1976"
Axiom #1: Emacs is a text interface prosthesis
Axiom #2: Org-mode gives you super cyborg organizational powers
cf. Why Emacs | Emacs-fu | EmacsWiki | Worg

knarf

#48 Post by knarf »

dust hill resident wrote:I'd like to see a tiling window manager that has user-friendly stuff like titlebars, buttons, etc. Perhaps something a bit like the window management in Windows 1, but with more modern features.
You can get that with a bit of configuring^Wprogramming in Xmonad. It also supports both tiling as well as stacking modes, in any reasonable combination.
STORA SNOPPAR
So you know (some) Swedish, ey?
[ "Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur
et non datur, nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est." ]

regular

#49 Post by regular »

Enlightenment E17 :) And recommend it.

vrkalak

#50 Post by vrkalak »

Normally, I am an Xfce fanatic . . .

But, I really like Openbox WM with no desktop environment.

A straight Openbox is ... light on resources, highly customizable and very fast. :P

dust hill resident

#51 Post by dust hill resident »

knarf wrote:
STORA SNOPPAR
So you know (some) Swedish, ey?
I do. Not very much, but it still comes in handy.

vrkalak

#52 Post by vrkalak »

First of all, I just bought more RAM for my ancient Gateway (7-8 years old) laptop ... had only 182 Mb of RAM and upgraded to 2Gb RAM. Doesn't even seem like the same machine. :D

Now, I built a vanilla Debian from a net.install ... then, added the new Xfce-4.8 on it.

Updated the Linux Kernel to 2.6.36.2 and then Debian 'testing' sources.list

I love what the Xfce-Devs have done with the Xfce-4.8 panel.

Barcelona_DEB

#53 Post by Barcelona_DEB »

vrkalak wrote:First of all, I just bought more RAM for my ancient Gateway (7-8 years old) laptop ... had only 182 Mb of RAM and upgraded to 2Gb RAM. Doesn't even seem like the same machine. :D

Now, I built a vanilla Debian from a net.install ... then, added the new Xfce-4.8 on it.

Updated the Linux Kernel to 2.6.36.2 and then Debian 'testing' sources.list

I love what the Xfce-Devs have done with the Xfce-4.8 panel.
What they have done with the panel ?

samwyse

#54 Post by samwyse »

I'm a long time KDE3 user currently running Trinity Desktop. Other ones frustrate me fast.

demosthenese

#55 Post by demosthenese »

Surprised at how popular Xfce is becoming. 4.8 has given a lot of improvements and a bit of polish.

Tadeas

#56 Post by Tadeas »

samwyse wrote:I'm a long time KDE3 user currently running Trinity Desktop. Other ones frustrate me fast.
Trinity? How well does it work? How does it compare to KDE 3? Does it have all the features with reasonably small amount of bugs?

I only ask out of curiosity. I've read about Trinity when it was started and I've thought it's an utopy, that it will take many, many years to mature. But I hope I was wrong :) .
Because let’s face it, the unfortunate aspect of software development is that it involves humans. Mewling, disorganized, miserably analog humans. Sometimes they smell bad.

Piter_

#57 Post by Piter_ »

awesome wm
Joybook A52 laptop. Debian stable.

rokytnji

#58 Post by rokytnji »

Icewm and Fluxbox.

samwyse

#59 Post by samwyse »

Tadeas wrote:
samwyse wrote:I'm a long time KDE3 user currently running Trinity Desktop. Other ones frustrate me fast.
Trinity? How well does it work? How does it compare to KDE 3? Does it have all the features with reasonably small amount of bugs?

I only ask out of curiosity. I've read about Trinity when it was started and I've thought it's an utopy, that it will take many, many years to mature. But I hope I was wrong :) .
It's got some updates and some new problems compared to Lenny KDE 3.5. Nothing major though. You must configure sudo if you want to launch stuff in administrator mode (like synaptic from the k-menu). Also installing KDE4 stuff will mess things up a bit, Nepomuk starts when running Trinity and menu icons disappear. I just decided to avoid everything KDE4.

Anzhr

#60 Post by Anzhr »

demosthenese wrote:Surprised at how popular Xfce is becoming. 4.8 has given a lot of improvements and a bit of polish.
That's true.

But since GNOME Shell and disUnity are both such unfriendly departures from GNOME 2, Xfce is the logical choice for people who want to continue their work-flow.
Xfce, Wheezy

shapeshifter

#61 Post by shapeshifter »

Squeeze with Gnome2 (gdm3 + some stuff, not the full install). XFCE 4.8 looks interesting. Tried Openbox a little bit. Nice, too.
Last edited by shapeshifter on 2011-05-09 08:28, edited 1 time in total.

dust hill resident

#62 Post by dust hill resident »

Since this poll gives people the ability to change their vote, it'll be interesting to see how things change a year or so later, once GNOME 2 has been obsoleted.

Anzhr

#63 Post by Anzhr »

Can I vote for Xfce twice?

_______
/kidding
Xfce, Wheezy

gramur

#64 Post by gramur »

Been using Enlightenment 17 for almost two years now with no complaints.

mvdan

#65 Post by mvdan »

Using Fluxbox in Debian sid :)
Unstable 'Sid' amd64 - Awesome WM - https://gitorious.org/~mvdan
Richard M. Stallman wrote:We can't take the future of freedom for granted. Don't take it for granted! If you want to keep your freedom, you must be prepared for it.