Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What distribution of Debian do you use?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

What Debian distribution?

Oldstable
2%
Stable
24%
Stable + Backports
26%
Testing
32%
Unstable
16%

Total votes: 115

linuxforever00

Re: What distribution of Debian do you use?

#46 Post by linuxforever00 »

I use Stable for regular desktop usage, web browsing, VLC, Xchat, Audacious, some games, etc.

I hated the 6 month upgrade cycle with Ubuntu.

Can't decide if I want a rolling release or not with testing or unstable or stick with stable.

I don't want to fix things all the time but I would like newer software I think.
Debian 6.0 AMD64 64-bit 2GB Ram 250gb hard drive XFCE 4.6 Squeeze

ivanovnegro

#47 Post by ivanovnegro »

linuxforever00 wrote:I use Stable for regular desktop usage, web browsing, VLC, Xchat, Audacious, some games, etc.

Can't decide if I want a rolling release or not with testing or unstable or stick with stable.

I don't want to fix things all the time but I would like newer software I think.
If you do not like to break things at all stick with Stable, you could use backports for some newer apps or the Kernel, LibreOffice is in the backports now also is a newer Kernel. :)

linuxforever00

#48 Post by linuxforever00 »

ivanovnegro wrote:
linuxforever00 wrote:I use Stable for regular desktop usage, web browsing, VLC, Xchat, Audacious, some games, etc.

If you do not like to break things at all stick with Stable, you could use backports for some newer apps or the Kernel, LibreOffice is in the backports now also is a newer Kernel. :)
Yeah I'm looking into the backports actually.

Thanks a lot. :twisted:

I really like having a stable system.
Debian 6.0 AMD64 64-bit 2GB Ram 250gb hard drive XFCE 4.6 Squeeze

rent0n

#49 Post by rent0n »

After a while with stable, I ended up enabling backports.
What a fresh breeze! Backports really have the best of both worlds: stability and new software.
So I'm now running Squeeze with Iceweasel 5.0, Icedove 3.1 and LibreOffice 3.3.1.

Thanks to everyone who took part in the poll, I think it turned out to be a nice picture of Debian user base.
Don't stop voting and commenting!
Acer Aspire 5920 | Debian Squeeze | Xfce

ivanovnegro

#50 Post by ivanovnegro »

rent0n wrote:After a while with stable, I ended up enabling backports.
What a fresh breeze! Backports really have the best of both worlds: stability and new software.
Yes, it is a really pleasant experience.

ghostblader

#51 Post by ghostblader »

My debian path so far -> Testing(When squeeze was testing) -> sid -> testing(Wheezy) and finally, i realised that latest isnt always the greatest, and here i am running Debian Stable with backports ;)

geazzy

#52 Post by geazzy »

Hi all Im use stable version in my machine :D

sigelang

#53 Post by sigelang »

Linux q35joe 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Wed May 18 23:13:22 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Debian is very nice and it ROCKS!

With Iceweasel 5, VLC player, gnome-rdp etc etc.

cage47

#54 Post by cage47 »

I'm back to running Old Stable. And that's where I'm going to stay for a while. I have no need to buy new hardware and the newer kernels just don't like my Radeon 9800pro. I can tinker with it. i can futz with it. But Lenny just works. Always has. Also Never been a fan of KDE4. I even went so far as to jump over to PCLinuxOS for a bit. But the rolling release hit the same issue, my Radeon. Eventually that failed too. So pulled out my old Lenny install custom cd's and put it back. I lost Kopete in Yahoo, and Xmms is still MIA but everything else is back. And that's how it'll stay until I find something that really catches my eye. And sorry, Squeeze, not it. Wheezy, ditto.
Bill "Elmer F.U.D." Gates says, "Be veh-we veh-we quiet. I'm hunting PENGUINS. HUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUH!"

Roel63

#55 Post by Roel63 »

ghostblader wrote:My debian path so far -> Testing(When squeeze was testing) -> sid -> testing(Wheezy) and finally, i realised that latest isnt always the greatest, and here i am running Debian Stable with backports ;)
Ditto.

The latest may be the greatest, and I DO love to see the distro evolve, but testing does some unexpected things at the moment, so for me it's stable + backports and some virtual machines, sid + various DE's being most used.