Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What distribution of Debian do you use?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

What Debian distribution?

Oldstable
2%
Stable
24%
Stable + Backports
26%
Testing
32%
Unstable
16%

Total votes: 115

cynwulf

Re: What distribution of Debian do you use?

#16 Post by cynwulf »

qjqqyy wrote:
The correct word is "branch".
"distribution" is also correct:
Wheezy is the development codename for the next version of Debian, after Squeeze.

It is the current testing distribution.
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianWheezy

qjqqyy

#17 Post by qjqqyy »

fine, "branch" is more specific

dejan034

#18 Post by dejan034 »

Testing.. 8)

Roel63

#19 Post by Roel63 »

Testing.

maxpro4u

#20 Post by maxpro4u »

I am running sid and I really like the latest KDE(netbook) works well on my thinkpad A31 P4 2gz 512ram.
Max Wachtel
Registered Linux User #393236

vbrummond

#21 Post by vbrummond »

I am back to running Stable and am quite happy. :)
Always on Debian Testing

kedaha

#22 Post by kedaha »

qjqqyy wrote:
The correct word is "branch".
I wondered about that too but I see them referred to as distributions on Debian's website here. Yes, it might be better to refer to them as branches, versions or releases since distribution is more commonly used to name other GNU/Linux OSes.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

Drum.be

#23 Post by Drum.be »

stable on the eee-pc, testing on the desktop

emariz

#24 Post by emariz »

I've used Testing since Etch was Stable and it has been a very fun and educative journey. However, while I don't notice an important difference between Squeeze and the current Testing for my everyday usage, Testing demands more attention and I have decided that I will move to Squeeze, at least until Gnome 3 offers me comparable customisation options as Gnome 2 (probably after its 3.2 release).

Right now, the only applications that I would grab from a newer branch are Shotwell, Iceweasel and, probably, the kernel and LibreOffice, because I find useful various of their new features. I am also planning to use the Proposed Updates repository and to change the priority of the Backports repository so that all backports are installable by default (and not only upgradable).

I might miss the thrill of updating the system everyday and finding revisions of libraries and dependencies whose actual use I completely ignore.
Last edited by emariz on 2011-06-07 01:06, edited 1 time in total.

ChristofferC

#25 Post by ChristofferC »

I've been running testing since 2002 or so, but with the Squeeze release I switched to stable. The few things I need the latest version of I compile from source or download from some third party repo. I agree there is not enough difference between stable and testing to risk the instability of testing.
Shaw's Principle: Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it.

emariz

#26 Post by emariz »

ChristofferC wrote:I agree there is not enough difference between stable and testing to risk the instability of testing.
For me, there was a difference between Lenny and the Testing close to the release, because they were two Gnome releases apart and various applications were simply more useful in Testing, like Nautilus and Network Manager. Gimp's "new" interface was also only available in Testing.

In my case, it wasn't the (possible) bugs what made me move to Stable, but the constant upgrades. I wasn't afraid of experiencing some errors because I don't depend on the computer to work, but I was tired of administering a system that changed everyday but provided very little enhancements, if any. (This only holds between Squeeze and the current Testing, June 2011).

cynwulf

#27 Post by cynwulf »

ChristofferC wrote:I agree there is not enough difference between stable and testing to risk the instability of testing.
Not true - while there there is not as much difference at present as there will be in 12 months, by installing packages from testing you're still "risking the instability of testing".

julian516

#28 Post by julian516 »

I run stable because when I need to get work done -- as opposed to doing "interesting" Linux things -- Squeeze will be there and the work will get done. I have great admiration for the people who produce a tool such as Debian Stable. A "boring" system that works every time is a huge accomplishment, especially when it is designed to run over the range of hardware Debian accommodates.

I tend to run three distros at any one time. Squeeze is the constant so I let it manage GRUB2. Other distros tend to be on for a while and then gone as I explore further. If Squeeze were not playing the anchor role I probably would give that assignment to something like Mepis 11, which amounts to a very nice KDE on a Stable foundation.

You did not ask but at the moment I am encountering Arch-Xfce. It is a good thing I am a retired fellow with a lot of time! "Interesting" project so to speak, doubtless I'll know a lot more about Linux configuration when I am done. Pacman is the first package manager I have seen that I would compare favorably with apt & aptitude.

That said I continue to think that Debian, in some flavor, augmented with h2's family of smxi scripts is as good as it gets in Linux.

ivanovnegro

#29 Post by ivanovnegro »

I am running Debian Stable, as I came from Ubuntu I never saw before a distro that is like just the name says, actually really STABLE.
Of course that cannot satisfy my needs for every app but I know how to add newer stuff.

As I will learn more and more the Debian way it could be that I will end up some day with Testing, but not sure yet if this is a really good option.

emariz

#30 Post by emariz »

ivanovnegro wrote:As I will learn more and more the Debian way it could be that I will end up some day with Testing, but not sure yet if this is a really good option.
Before doing moving to Testing, learn about GNU/Linux in general and about Debian's package management in particular. Knowing the basics of system administration pays dear, and knowing APT is a big plus. You'll need to identify, document and report an issue, and to make your way until the developers fix it. Also, Aptitude can be fun:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=320585#p320585

ivanovnegro

#31 Post by ivanovnegro »

emariz wrote:
ivanovnegro wrote:As I will learn more and more the Debian way it could be that I will end up some day with Testing, but not sure yet if this is a really good option.
Before doing moving to Testing, learn about GNU/Linux in general and about Debian's package management in particular. Knowing the basics of system administration pays dear, and knowing APT is a big plus. You'll need to identify, document and report an issue, and to make your way until the developers fix it. Also, Aptitude can be fun:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=320585#p320585
Thank you for the tips.
Actually I know perfectly how Debian is working and I am not new to Linux. It was more if I have the will to fight with the issues or to enjoy the pure stability. :D

beardedragon

#32 Post by beardedragon »

Snowlinux is a debian-based free available operating system, that makes using Debian GNU/Linux more easily.

It is based upon Debian Stable Squeeze and uses its repository. It makes many things easier. For example, most-used software like Firefox and Thunderbird are preinstalled. And in the near future the hardware installations tool from Ubuntu will be ported to Snowlinux. And there are many other tweaks, too.
It has Linux-Kernel 2.6.32-5 LTS, GNOME 2.32, XORG, Firefox 3.5.5 and Thunderbird 3.1.0
Home Site and Download at: www.snowlinux.de/ http://snowlinux.de/index.php/blog/4-sn ... c-released Available in the following languages: German, German Low, Spanish, French, English, Belgium the primary language being German on the Site. There is a Forum already available.
Robert Collard, Madison, WI
Lenovo K450e Kernel: 4.19.0-5 NVIDIA 418.74
Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) XFCE-4.12.4
Rule #1 Back Up
Rule #2 Back Up Your Back Up

edbarx

#33 Post by edbarx »

@ beardedragon
What you are suggesting makes Debian a most boring experience. Installing using apt or any other equivalent tool, is the most exciting part in installing Debian. For instance, I start from the base system and then install the other goodies from there.

P.S.
Some time in the future, when I have the motivation, eagerness and energy, I want to install Debian without using an installer by using debootstrap and manually editing configuration files. That would be truly a thrilling learning experience. :)

Pity that GNU/Linux did not exist when I was still a youth!
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

eric1959

#34 Post by eric1959 »

Snowlinux is a debian-based free available operating system, that makes using Debian GNU/Linux more easily.
Do we need more of these Debian-based distributions......?
Debian Bits And Snips
Squeeze, Gnome, amd64, Intel Core i3-530, Geforce GT330

ivanovnegro

#35 Post by ivanovnegro »

eric1959 wrote:
Do we need more of these Debian-based distributions......?
No, we dont need. But the people are free to do whatever. :D