The Decline of this Forum

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Re: The Decline of this Forum

Postby renatov » 2011-07-22 20:17

Troll wrote:If your using O/S as a way of life, then you should see a psychologist.

I am a Psychologist :D

Troll wrote:I enjoyed my computer more in Windows, because I was actually using it.

Maybe you should use other OS?

Troll wrote:I'm not being apocalyptic. Linux has been around for 20 years and has never reached over 1% market share. I don't use software because I worship an ideology, I use it to do just that - use it.

Maybe you should use other OS?

You don't need to "worship", you're exaggerating. But seriously, if you really don't even care about Open Software Movement and if you just want to point and click, withou knowing what your're doing, just to "use it", I think there are better options than Linux, such as Windows like you said.

Troll wrote:I am telling Linux users that we need to stop fragmenting Linux into modified distro's, because its destroying it. The hippie philosophy is taking it to far, and modifying working software for no reason, creating incompatibility and ununiformity amongst distro's.

Yeah, a little standardization wouldn't be bad. But keep in mind that linux kernel is only a package among many others. GNU is not Linux.

Well, I got to go now. See ya!
Xubuntu 14.04
Usuário #517613
renatov

Postby sossego » 2011-07-22 20:35

renatov wrote:I am a Psychologist :D

Curiosidade, do qual estado?
Let my desire and hope surpass my expectations;
And give me the strength to persevere through doubt.
Grant me the wisdom to exceed my bounds.
Let my eyes always see through the dream fog of childhood,
so that every moment may be treasured.
sossego

Postby milomak » 2011-07-22 21:02

he's even trolling himself by continuing to use linux :lol:
Desktop: iMac Late-2015 27" 5K Retina (17,1 - 3.3GHz) - MacOS and Windows 10 (Bootcamp)/ Sid (External SSD)
Laptop: Lenovo ideapad Y700-15ISK [nVidia Optimus] (64-bit) - Sid, Win10, Solus
Kodi Box: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid
milomak

Postby ivanovnegro » 2011-07-22 21:04

I do not see any fragmentation done by Debian, in fact other distros and persons do that for whatever reason, forking or redistributing Debian in another way.
It seems to me some people are not understanding neither Debian nor Linux. Freedom and choice is something really valid and relevant, if you go the Debian way you will gain this. If you prefer not to go with an ideology and you are a pragmatist, why don't you use Ubuntu etc or just change to your beloved Windows or Mac. Marketshare is not relevant for Debian anyway and statistics are just bs.

I see here some new people on the board discussing about irrelevant things, what the heck?

I admit I like this forum and it has great sources of informations especially made by oldtime members, they could be maybe pigheaded, but I have big respect of them. I can also understand that here is a bunch of new users coming from Ubuntu with a different mentality and not understanding and reading the forum guidelines nor the Debian Wiki etc, I personally dislike this too but I am also new here and I know my way around and there are even Ubuntu users with some more experience and I love to see some folks going to the mothership because they understood it is a better way. In fact Ubuntu is so highly marketed that the people do not find its way to Debian, that is why I started once with Ubuntu but I am really in love with Debian, heck I even put some links in my sig for newcomers to read and not to ask every little question because that is the way I learned about Debian and it has a great documentation.

Freedom can hurt sometimes, that is something people do not understand, you have to fight for your freedom, that is why I use Debian and I will take the hard route if I have to, just to gain that what Debian can offer me. I will also consider one day to buy just free/libre hardware, then any of this driver issues could be solved without tweaking.

But there are users coming from other OSs too, how to treat them? It would not be nice to treat them as Ubuntu users. I find to have a beginners guide is something great for them and yes I will even try to help some people not having the will to read everything but I will provide them links and docs too. For me there are no dumb questions but there is a guideline, so if you subscribe to this forum of course try to behave as it was supposed to.
ivanovnegro

Postby edbarx » 2011-07-22 21:28

Although, I found a very serious kernel bug that may, in the not-so-far-away-future, prevent me from using GNU/Linux, I don't think, I will ever have a valid reason to quit using it. GNU/Linux offers many tools that Windows users can only dream of having!

As a last note, the fact that a program is graphical, doesn't necessarily mean, it is better than another program having a text based interface. Moreover, there are other programs that don't have an interface and yet they do very important tasks. One of these programs is the kernel itself.

Maybe, I am not a "normal" Linux user. Having unnecessary control over how to use a program or a set of programs, irritates me. In fact, I didn't like the way grub-pc was integrated, and decided that a bootloader, should be totally independent of any installation.

@OP
The strength of GNU/Linux lies in the very fact you are contesting: the freedom to fork and develop independently, is the soul of GNU/Linux.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.
edbarx

Postby milomak » 2011-07-22 21:31

@edbarx - what bug is that? in the 3.0 kernel?
Desktop: iMac Late-2015 27" 5K Retina (17,1 - 3.3GHz) - MacOS and Windows 10 (Bootcamp)/ Sid (External SSD)
milomak

Postby edbarx » 2011-07-22 21:42

milomak wrote:@edbarx - what bug is that? in the 3.0 kernel?

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=38718

First, it has been submitted to Debian, then it has been forwarded upstream because it was not a bug specific to Debian.

In general, the bug affects kernels >= 2.6.38
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.
edbarx

Postby Lou » 2011-07-22 22:23

Troll wrote:Its not that I am too lazy, I have better things to do than read user documentation every time I want to do something. Who is sad enough to spend their time reading how to use their computer, than actually just using it and enjoying it for what it is.

I rest my case.
You don't have the time, nor the patience, use Windows! as simple as that, your incompetence as a Debian user should not detain you from enjoying your computer.

Troll wrote:Why are Windows users retards?

You are the best example, you have given ample reasons to expose this trait. Has the word 'security' mean anything to you? Does the word 'firewall' ring a bell?

Troll wrote:You "elitists" are pretty delusional. Your way isn't the correct way, its an artificially far fetched way. Somone whom has the time to go out of their way to type something in terminal when it can be 400% faster in GUI would indicate to me that user is 40yo and single. lol
Debian is restricted like every other distro of Linux, in that the user is restricted to repositories, and package maintainers.

The only true freedom using Linux, is building it officially, as can be instructed over at the Linux from scratch website.
Linux from scratch is not a distribution. Its a tutorial for using the official Linux platform.

Your ignorance knows no bounds...400% faster? Who do you think build Windows apps or maintains them? Pointing and clicking vs keybinds? versus using the terminal? It shows you are not a Linux user and never will be :)
Go back to your insecure box and click to your heart's delight...
Devuan Jessie - IceWM - vimperator - no DM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid
Lou

Postby MarcusW » 2011-07-22 22:28

Troll wrote:
bmc5311 wrote:
Troll wrote:I don't want to put everyone on a negative, but Debian is dying.. and so is Linux for that matter.

:lol: :lol: :lol: (at you, not with you)

Why are you laughing at me dumb ass? You seen statistics lately?
http://marketshare.hitslink.com/os-mark ... =1&qprid=9

Linux is the only one sitting there going no where.
People are going out and buying Macs... closed source OS with expensive hardware! Linux gives it away and still no one wants it. Us Linux users will be extinct unless we face that we have a crisis and do something about it.

Linux works and works well for a lot of people, including me. ~1% of the market share is still a lot of people. Linux is getter better all the time as well, it staying on the same market share in no way means that it's dying. Also, there's no reason to be calling people dumbasses. Your opinions are not 100% truths, and if you state them as such people won't take you seriously.
MarcusW

Postby ivanovnegro » 2011-07-22 22:38

With respect to the decline of this forum, Troll seems to be just another troll on this board and there are quiet some, this is the only thing I dislike but the Debian forum is not the only one.

What is going on with this market share nonsense? Debian is yet the most widley used Linux, be it itself or as the base for others.
ivanovnegro

Postby Lou » 2011-07-22 22:40

Here's the remark from a Debian user in another forum after reading this thread, i thought it was hilarious:

"There's only one thing lower than a troll: A twat who creates and account to troll and calls the account "troll" + as an added bonus - hasn't a clue what he's wittering on about..."
LOL!
Devuan Jessie - IceWM - vimperator - no DM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid
Lou

Postby milomak » 2011-07-22 22:58

Lou wrote:Here's the remark from a Debian user in another forum after reading this thread, i thought it was hilarious:

"There's only one thing lower than a troll: A twat who creates and account to troll and calls the account "troll" + as an added bonus - hasn't a clue what he's wittering on about..."
LOL!

one has to wonder if the irony was appreciated when the account was created.

edit - though i have to ask why people continue to engage him. surely when he admitted to having more joy out of windows but continues to use linux we should have shut the door on him and stopped engaging him directly.
milomak

Postby Riberto » 2011-07-23 01:00

TEMPERS, temper everyone!

I was finally able to install Debian right after Debian 5.0 had been released.

Even though I had been a Linux DESKTOP user since the days of Red Hat 4 or 5?
Later Mandrake followed by SuSE, before it became OpenSuSE.
I knew I had to learn to use Debian, Debian WAS LINUX!, I had to learn it.
IT WAS A NATURAL PROGRESSION!

YES, I was that GREEN behind the ears.
(I still am....)

I may NOT post here much anymore but still read it every chance I get.
I think, this forum is a valuable resource, reading it has taught me how to do it right!! and how NOT to do it!
You gotta understand that the contributors make this Forum GREAT!

Yes, you come across some bad posts sometimes, but what the heck?
One must dig through a lot of dirt to find the DIAMONDS!

I won't give up on the Debian forums, I won't give up on Linux.

GO DEBIAN!
Giving up on yourself is a CRIME!
And it carries a LIFE SENTENCE.
Riberto

Postby dasein » 2011-07-23 01:38

I add my voice to those who think this forum has gone to $#!t of late. Even in the few months I've been here, it seems like it's gone way down hill. Lazy a$$e$ who won't bother to do a simple search before posting, folks who clearly feel "entitled" to all the free tech support they can consume, and a seemingly incessant parade of trolls (probably a handful of actual folks, who register new accounts just so that they can keep stirring the pot).

These days, the signal-to-noise-ratio on most any Internet forum is unmeasurably low. And now this forum, too, has succumbed--or so it would seem.

Which is too damn bad.
dasein

Postby mephjones » 2011-07-23 03:44

dasein wrote:I add my voice to those who think this forum has gone to $#!t of late. Even in the few months I've been here, it seems like it's gone way down hill. Lazy a$$e$ who won't bother to do a simple search before posting, folks who clearly feel "entitled" to all the free tech support they can consume, and a seemingly incessant parade of trolls (probably a handful of actual folks, who register new accounts just so that they can keep stirring the pot)...

I bet a dollar that 99% of the noise is one person with 100 different handles.
mephjones

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion