Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

hello world!

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
caligula

hello world!

#1 Post by caligula »

I just finished succesfully migrating to debian from ubuntu, after weeks of trying unsuccesfully...

so.. hello! I'll probably just hang aroung for a couple of days now, see how things are going over here...

nayoo

#2 Post by nayoo »

Great!! You've made it. Welcome to Debian World.

My friendly suggestion to you is that never be afraid to make mistakes and things go wrong. Be curious in whatever you do and observe not only in your problems but also in other's problems. Ask questions. Answer Questions. Find out more and contribute back to the community if you have time to spare.

Happy Hacking!!

:D

World

#3 Post by World »

Hello.

reidar

#4 Post by reidar »

It's nice isn't it? I have just migrated the same path myself. Have used Ubuntu for quite a while, but tried to successfully install Debian Sarge on my laptop. I managed to install it, but never got the fan to work properly, so the laptop would overheat... Then the other day I decided to try and install Etch, and now I am a happy convert with a fully functional laptop fan :-)

Ubuntu is good, no doubt, but it feels really good to have returned to the roots - becoming a true Debian user!

-r

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#5 Post by Scotti »

reidar wrote:Have used Ubuntu for quite a while, but tried to successfully install Debian Sarge on my laptop. I managed to install it, but never got the fan to work properly, so the laptop would overheat... Then the other day I decided to try and install Etch, and now I am a happy convert with a fully functional laptop fan :-)
What the...? It sounds like installing Etch made your laptop fan work? LoL. :)

reidar

#6 Post by reidar »

It sure did! Could you or anyone else tell me why? Is it the kernel? Some modules I didn't manage to load? I was pleased to see that Etch has the choice of installing laptop-services. But what are these?

-r

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#7 Post by Lavene »

It might be, and I'm guessing here, that Sarge with 2.4 kernel uses APM wheras Etch with a 2.6 kernel uses ACPI.

The laptop stuff is the battery monitor, power management etc.

I had a helluva time getting my fan to *slow down* with Sarge and 2.4 kernel. With 2.6 and 'powernowd' it works like a charm though.

Tina :)

reidar

#8 Post by reidar »

I did actually run Sarge with a 2.6.8 kernel. I did not use powernowd though (and I do not now with Etch either as a matter of fact). Maybe I should? What are the advantages of using powernowd? I guess I should search for that before I ask, but if you know and could say it in a few simple words :-)

When I ran Sarge (2.6.8 kernel), I actually tried to recompile the kernel with acpi and userspace support (I had read in the forums about powernowd, and thought I might give it a go). The problem was that - with no working fan - the cpu got too hot and just shut down the computer in the middle of the compilation process. This happened to me twice before I realised that this might not be all that healthy for my poor lappie :-)

-r

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#9 Post by Lavene »

From the description of the 'powernowd' package:
Description: control cpu speed and voltage using 2.6 kernel interface
This simple client controls CPU speed and voltage using the sysfs interface
to the CPUFreq driver in v2.6 Linux kernels. It does not depend on APM or
ACPI, and it doesn't try to do anything other than control the CPU.
Basically it makes the CPU, on average, run cooler which again makes the fan run slower increasing battery time. It also reduces 'wear and tear' caused by high temp in general.

Tina

reidar

#10 Post by reidar »

Hmm, that doesn't sound so bad :-)
I guess I should try it! Thanks!

-r