Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Libranet's last goodbye

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Lou

Libranet's last goodbye

#1 Post by Lou »

For all you ex-Libranet users (i started with version 2.0 and then switched to Woody), here is an article what's going on with Tal's life and the fate of Libranet.

http://os.newsforge.com/print.pl?sid=06/06/08/2055212

DeanLinkous

#2 Post by DeanLinkous »

well look who just caught up :)
writing a new article concerning a post made back in may....
libranet is dead and instead of closing the book and saying "done" everyone is dragging it along like elvis :)

Lou

#3 Post by Lou »

I guess people really miss Libra, they started with it, and enjoyed belonging...

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

I've been using Libranet for several years. It is, without a doubt, the best distro. LIke an idiot, I didn't get around to upgrading to version 3 before Jon died.

DeanLinkous

#5 Post by DeanLinkous »

I didnt mean to sound harsh...just the article is new yet refers to a old forum post. Nothing wrong with that I dont guess but anyone interested already read that post numerous times. I am just amazed about the whole situation...

Yes, I loved libranet too but my heart is broke and the best way to get over it is to throw it in the garbage, forget all about it, pick up a new younger hotty and move on... :D I will still occasionally think about and miss the easy tools especially when I am futzing trying to get something done that was just a few selections away in adminmenu but oh well.

edit-missed out on 3 myself :( have seen some torrents but whats the point - time to move on and let elvis err...libranet RIP

Bulkley

#6 Post by Bulkley »

I just wish that the owner would release version 3 to free downloads. Better yet, release it to opensource. I'd like to see adminmenu in the Debian repositories.

If Libranet isn't going to exist anymore, it would be a good thing to let it loose.

DeanLinkous

#7 Post by DeanLinkous »

if wishes were horses :)
I dont bother wishing anymore it is obvious it isnt going to happen and as long as it has been I am not sure it would be useful if it was released now.

jjmac

#8 Post by jjmac »

News to me, and not good news ...

As LN is deb based, whats to prevent the last version acting as a base were people can just take it forward using the standard deb upgrade methods. As long as the key libs are version compat of course ?

No deb based distro can truly die :)

jm