Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Do you prefer ALSA, PulseAudio or Open Sound System (OSS)?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Do you prefer, ALSA, PulseAudio or Open Sound System (OSS)?

ALSA
65%
PulseAudio
26%
Open sound System (OSS)
9%

Total votes: 112

kedaha

Do you prefer ALSA, PulseAudio or Open Sound System (OSS)?

#1 Post by kedaha »

Any comments would be appreciated including what kind of audio setup you have: onboard, PCI soundcard, an external sound card, 5.1 or even 7.1 surround sound speakers, headphones, microphones and webcam audio etc and any issues with these which may have inclined you, for example, to prefer PulseAudio to ALSA or vice versa or OSS to ALSA rather than PulseAudio. Thanks.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

ivanovnegro

Re: Do you prefer ALSA, PulseAudio or Open Sound System (OSS

#2 Post by ivanovnegro »

I voted for Alsa but have to say it is the default under Squeeze and it just serves me perfectly but could not really say if I prefer it, I have just no need to use Pulse, also it was buggy in the past.

I have an onboard Intel sound card that works perfectly under Debian without any issues on my laptop that is connected to external speakers. Sometimes I use headphones to watch movies if it is late and do not want to bother my better half. :D Also works without issues. I have an integrated mic that also works perfectly.

eric1959

#3 Post by eric1959 »

Alsa, works. Speakers : 2.1

lspci | grep -i audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 05)
. Onboard.
Webcam : Logitech Webcam C500, no issues.

Only problem : speakers not auto-muted when I plugin headphone....http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=57796
Debian Bits And Snips
Squeeze, Gnome, amd64, Intel Core i3-530, Geforce GT330

Dan158

#4 Post by Dan158 »

I use ALSA on Wheezy. I was running stable with Pulse but when stable was upgrded to using DECnet it messed up my audio. My browser would play sounds just fine but my computer didn't have any idea where my audio-ware was. I could watch a youtube clip in Iceweasel and hear it but if I DL'ed it the sound wouldn't play. I was migrating to Wheezy so I just stuck with it the default alsa, (DECnet got installed in testing too, but it didn't break my audio). While it worked I found Pulse a little bit better for my amiturish playing around but I never got MIDI working, (my ineptitude, not Pulse's fault).
'Help-Fascists';
Slanderers of the poor, frustrated & comp ignorant as "help-vampires"
who seek to ostracize the victim. As IRL; 'Vamps' Are increadibly rare.
Fascists though ... well, They're a dime a dozen.

theluli

#5 Post by theluli »

Hi

l would like to ask you about sound , l just installed debian squeez and there is no sound ?

ivanovnegro

#6 Post by ivanovnegro »

^ Then it would be better you ask in the appropriate section and please with more details on your install.

demosthenese

#7 Post by demosthenese »

Alsa works in most cases, but I switched to pulse in order to hot plug bluetooth speakers with my laptop and not have to restart my music player or web browser to switch the sound to the default device.

The downside was no sound under wine but that was fixed with wine 1.3.

kedaha

#8 Post by kedaha »

Thanks to everyone for their replies.
I have always taken ALSA for granted and have been content with it so I couldn't say whether I preferred ALSA to PulseAudio because I'd never tried the latter until now.
Recently I tried to help a new forum member to solve a problem with an Audigy2 - SB Audigy 4 in this - to date - unsolved topic, and this prompted me to try and enable my CA0106 Soundblaster Model: SB0570. It had been lying unused in a drawer for several years and previous attempts to make it work had failed miserably, so much so that I once nearly threw it away in a fit of pique and thinking it must be defective. I also have a Creative Inspire A500, 5.1 surround sound speakers so this was a bit disappointing and I made do, first with onboard, and later with a Genius 5.1 PCI sound card. Although I once managed to get rather poor qualtity sound from the SB card through 2.1 speakers my Soundblaster fell, to coin an oxymoron, "deafeningly silent." So, having read the other post, I decided to install Wheezy to a vacant partition (with the 3.0.0-1-amd64 kernel) with the pci SB card inserted and onboard disabled in the BIOS. The Soundblaster sprang to life producing much better sound than I had ever got from the other devices but I have been unable, so far, to configure surround sound from all 5 speakers in addition to the woofer: at best I could get sound from only 3 or 4. So I decided to try this forum How-to: Pulseaudio which has resulted in excellent 5.1 surround sound through all speakers. I found it was very easy to configure the card using PulseAudio and the results are...well...awesome. I suppose the Audigy2 - SB Audigy 4 is even better.
I can also now confirm that this particular card works perfectly in Stable with the default kernel, but I'll post about that in another topic.
To conclude, in answer to my own question, I gave a vote of thanks to PulseAudio because it solved the 5.1 speaker system issue although I'll have another go at configuring the .asoundrc file to get all speakers working properly with ALSA in Squeeze.
DebianStable

$ vrms

Ibidem

#9 Post by Ibidem »

OSS3 or OSS4?
The two are worlds apart.
I use OSS4 with Debian; when I installed, I could use OSS4 with Debian packages or build my own ALSA (the Azalia I have isn't supported in the Squeeze alsa).
When I updated to kernel 3.0, I had to build OSS4 from scratch; I enabled the high precision audio, and it sounds really good.
Azalia audio on an X100e; I think it's dual channel, but may be wrong.
Thinkpad X100e/Debian Squeeze (All reposiories enabled)/Linux 3.4.11:
1GB RAM/1.6GHz Neo X2/ATI HD 3200/RTL8191SEVA2 wlan0, RTL8169 eth0

kedaha

#10 Post by kedaha »

@ ibidem
I'm trying OSS4 in Stable and found it easy to install and configure having consulted this forum Howto. I agree with you that it sounds really good - excellent in fact. I got it to work with most applications including flash which worked only after installing libasound2-plugins not flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound which no longer seems available. The only thing I haven't been able to enable yet is 5.1 surround sound but I'll also try it on my laptop.
DebianStable

$ vrms

vbrummond

#11 Post by vbrummond »

I wish I could try OSS4. I set it up and everything is working, including sound actually playing.. But I can not hear anything. Apparently it doesn't support my laptop's sound card (some crappy via thing). I know the sound is playing because when I hit play in Rhythmbox I see the volume meters jump to the music.
Always on Debian Testing

kedaha

#12 Post by kedaha »

vbrummond wrote:I wish I could try OSS4. I set it up and everything is working, including sound actually playing.. But I can not hear anything. Apparently it doesn't support my laptop's sound card (some crappy via thing). I know the sound is playing because when I hit play in Rhythmbox I see the volume meters jump to the music.
What sound card is that?
I confirm that OSS4 works on my laptop (Stable+Backports and kernel), but had no sound until I upgraded the packages concerned to versions from sid (with the necessary pinning in place).

# lspci | grep -i audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)

# cat /etc/apt/preferences
Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 200
I also installed the minitube v 1.5 from sid while I was about it.
Result is very good on both the desktop and the laptop.
DebianStable

$ vrms

marky611

#13 Post by marky611 »

Alsa because it has the most configuration options.

qjqqyy

#14 Post by qjqqyy »

Alsa, pa or Oss is not a matter of preference, since alsa works perfectly and i had a bad experience of pa previously in butnut, i just stuck with the "default" alsa.

xiphias

#15 Post by xiphias »

I use pulseaudio. alsa is cumbersome if you have more than one sound device, whereas pulseaudio allows you to switch and change which app uses what sound device on the fly. I'm surprised at people saying it's buggy, maybe I only switched after most of issues were sorted.

kedaha

#16 Post by kedaha »

qjqqyy wrote:Alsa, pa or Oss is not a matter of preference, since alsa works perfectly and i had a bad experience of pa previously in butnut, i just stuck with the "default" alsa.
I have to say, having tried all three now, that on my hardware at least, OSS4 sound quality is superb, the best I've heard emanating from a computer soundcard.
DebianStable

$ vrms

vbrummond

#17 Post by vbrummond »

Lspci tells me I have this card but I know it is some sort of Via vt something that has terrible Linux support:

Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller
Last time I tried OSS4 it worked (music apps played) but I thought it was just muted and could not figure out how to unmute it with the cluttery oss4-gtk application, however I really think that I just have no support for my hardware.
Always on Debian Testing

Roel63

#18 Post by Roel63 »

vbrummond wrote:I really think that I just have no support for my hardware.
What kernel do you use? I had the same with a certain VIA card, recognised as HDA Intel, and it only started working after upgrading to 2.6.38 (and higher).

vbrummond

#19 Post by vbrummond »

I am unable to compile OSS4 on anything except 2.6.32. DKMS always fails. I am using Linux 3.0 (compiled myself from Debian sources). I tried to install OSS manually but it always fails to compile. The error was annoying, if I disable regparm in oss4 it says unable to find regparm and fails to compile. If is enable it it tells me to disable and fails at the make install step.
Always on Debian Testing

Roel63

#20 Post by Roel63 »

Hmmm there my knowledge fails.

From memory, I have a Via VT1708s and this one needs > 2.6.32.