Do you prefer ALSA, PulseAudio or Open Sound System (OSS)?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Do you prefer, ALSA, PulseAudio or Open Sound System (OSS)?

ALSA
73
65%
PulseAudio
29
26%
Open sound System (OSS)
10
9%
 
Total votes : 112

Re: Do you prefer ALSA, PulseAudio or Open Sound System (OSS

Postby kedaha » 2011-09-17 22:09

phenest wrote:I've just installed OSS4 as per the above HowTo, but can anyone tell me how to enable my LFE channel. I have a sub-woofer on my Dell Precision M90 which works with ALSA. Am I missing something?

EDIT: And my laptop speakers don't mute when I plug in my headphones.

Thanks for trying the HowTo. There's certainly a lot of documentation and tests available, for example here which may help with getting the subwoofer to play. Is there no sound from it even when playing this test?
Code: Select all
$ osstest -lV
Mate DE & OSSv4.
LaMp, WordPress; ispmail
Debian Stable

Words, as is well known, are the great foes of reality. Joseph Conrad.
Kedaha's Conjecture
User avatar
kedaha
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: 2008-05-24 12:26

Re: Do you prefer ALSA, PulseAudio or Open Sound System (OSS

Postby milomak » 2011-09-18 15:59

kedaha wrote:
milomak wrote:i experienced pa in its earliest incarnation given i run sid. it wasn't up to the task then.

i would concede that today it is probably much better. but i ask myself the question - why change configurations when my current solution works perfectly?

so even if pa is now fully functional, why would i change from alsa? except for the shorter pa.

I suppose PulseAudio will become the default, not in opposition to Alsa but in a complementary manner.Why change configurations when ones own solution works perfectly? Well, I thought that but - perhaps more out of curiosity than any dissatisfaction with the default ALSA - I decided to try both pa and OSS4: while I was able to achieve very good 5.1 surround sound with pa I've found that the gain in sound quality from using OSS4 is really quite extraordinary, much better than ALSA in fact on my hardware. I have set up OSS4 on both my laptop and desktop as posted above and consider that changing the configurations was well worth the time but if it doesn't work, it's easy to change back to the defaults.


actually when i think about it, i think it was in fedora where i encountered pa. in debian, alsa remains the default even in sid.

i guess for me it's that i run a fairly standard setup. and it works as expected. so see no reason to move from alsa given it works out the box.
iMac - MacOS and Windows 10 (Bootcamp)/ Debian Sid (External SSD)
Laptop (64-bit) - Debian Sid, Win10,
Kodi Box - Debian Sid
milomak
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: 2009-06-09 22:20

Re: Do you prefer ALSA, PulseAudio or Open Sound System (OSS

Postby vbrummond » 2011-09-18 16:31

Alsa is the default in the kernel but pulseaudio will be required for Gnome 3. Sure you can optionally remove it but then you get no sound applet. :)
System: Retina 5K iMac, 27-inch, Late 2015 - Intel i5-6600 3.3ghz, 8gb RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB
OS: Mac OS 10.12
vbrummond
 
Posts: 4417
Joined: 2010-03-02 01:42

Re: Do you prefer ALSA, PulseAudio or Open Sound System (OSS

Postby milomak » 2011-09-18 17:40

vbrummond wrote:Alsa is the default in the kernel but pulseaudio will be required for Gnome 3. Sure you can optionally remove it but then you get no sound applet. :)


good thing i don't use gnome ;)
iMac - MacOS and Windows 10 (Bootcamp)/ Debian Sid (External SSD)
Laptop (64-bit) - Debian Sid, Win10,
Kodi Box - Debian Sid
milomak
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: 2009-06-09 22:20

Re: Do you prefer ALSA, PulseAudio or Open Sound System (OSS

Postby kedaha » 2011-09-18 19:48

milomak wrote:actually when i think about it, i think it was in fedora where i encountered pa. in debian, alsa remains the default even in sid.

i guess for me it's that i run a fairly standard setup. and it works as expected. so see no reason to move from alsa given it works out the box.

No reason to move from alsa to pa but for me there's every reason to move from alsa or pa to OSS4 which has, at least on my equipment, much fuller, clearer sound, in a word - fidelity. Although I can obtain 5.1 sound with PulseAudio I've decided to make OSS4 my default system since I really like music. I've found many views on the 'net which share this view such as: The state of sound not so sorry in linux after all. But I suppose much depends on the equipment; perhaps the differences between ALSA, PA and OSS4 are less noticeable through laptop speakers and an onboard sound device than through a pci sound card and a decent set of speakers.
vbrummond wrote:I am unable to compile OSS4 on anything except 2.6.32. DKMS always fails. I am using Linux 3.0 (compiled myself from Debian sources). I tried to install OSS manually but it always fails to compile. The error was annoying, if I disable regparm in oss4 it says unable to find regparm and fails to compile. If is enable it it tells me to disable and fails at the make install step.

I had no luck when installing OSS4 in Testing from main and when I tried to compile it i also got the annoying regparm error. But the oss-linux-4.2-2005_amd64.deb trial deb package installs perfectly in testing 3.0.0-1 kernel using gdebi which takes care of the dependencies mentioned in the How-To above - or they'll get installed anyway from a previous installation of OSS4 from main. (In this case, the OSS4 packages only should be removed before installing the deb). I noticed that it uses regparms so looks like disabling regparm isn't OK. So maybe I'll have another go at compiling the gpl'd source to see if I can get OSS4 sound in Wheezy. Works fine in stable.
Mate DE & OSSv4.
LaMp, WordPress; ispmail
Debian Stable

Words, as is well known, are the great foes of reality. Joseph Conrad.
Kedaha's Conjecture
User avatar
kedaha
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: 2008-05-24 12:26

Re: Do you prefer ALSA, PulseAudio or Open Sound System (OSS

Postby milomak » 2011-09-18 20:22

kedaha wrote:No reason to move from alsa to pa but for me there's every reason to move from alsa or pa to OSS4 which has, at least on my equipment, much fuller, clearer sound, in a word - fidelity. Although I can obtain 5.1 sound with PulseAudio I've decided to make OSS4 my default system since I really like music. I've found many views on the 'net which share this view such as: The state of sound not so sorry in linux after all. But I suppose much depends on the equipment; perhaps the differences between ALSA, PA and OSS4 are less noticeable through laptop speakers and an onboard sound device than through a pci sound card and a decent set of speakers.


le me state from the onset i am engage you in a discussion. i am not trying to change your stance. i feel sometimes it is necessary to state this on an internet forum.

that being said, what struck me in your post was fidelity. it leads me to suspect you may be an audiophile. and if you are, i fully endorse your choice to find the most optimal sound you can achieve.

for me, unless there is a vast variance from what i would expect, i am happy. i use the sound device on my mobo and splurged on what i regard today as an unnecessary mid range speaker system (i believe what might be termed 2.1).

so that's why i hold the view i do. the sound produced is more than satisfactory for me. so even though from a technical point of view i am interested in seeing how OSS4 works, i just lack the practical incentive.
iMac - MacOS and Windows 10 (Bootcamp)/ Debian Sid (External SSD)
Laptop (64-bit) - Debian Sid, Win10,
Kodi Box - Debian Sid
milomak
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: 2009-06-09 22:20

Re: Do you prefer ALSA, PulseAudio or Open Sound System (OSS

Postby kedaha » 2011-09-19 06:22

@milomak: I suppose am an audiophile insofar as I perceive variance in audio quality which many people may not be so sensitive to, so naturally, having tried OSS4, I'm very appreciative of it as well as the technical side. I
Mate DE & OSSv4.
LaMp, WordPress; ispmail
Debian Stable

Words, as is well known, are the great foes of reality. Joseph Conrad.
Kedaha's Conjecture
User avatar
kedaha
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: 2008-05-24 12:26

Re: Do you prefer ALSA, PulseAudio or Open Sound System (OSS

Postby kedaha » 2011-09-19 11:48

phenest wrote:I've just installed OSS4 as per the above HowTo, but can anyone tell me how to enable my LFE channel. I have a sub-woofer on my Dell Precision M90 which works with ALSA. Am I missing something?
EDIT: And my laptop speakers don't mute when I plug in my headphones.

I don't know about the headphones* but I'll test mine some time. [*Edit: Please see Note 2 below] I was able to get sound from all speakers following the simple instructions in this guide from dracolinux.
A word of WARNING: If you set high volumes, be sure to turn down the manual control to low, specially when using headphones to avoid a deafening blast. Just to make it clear to everyone, here's how I enabled all my speakers.
For example, in a terminal I first type:
Code: Select all
$ ossmix

In order to display the current values of the default mixer. One sees that rear and center speakers have the volumes set to zero:
Code: Select all
Selected mixer 0/AudigyLS Mixer
Known controls are:
pcm [<leftvol>:<rightvol>] (currently 94:94)
rear [<leftvol>:<rightvol>] (currently 0:0)
center [<leftvol>:<rightvol>] (currently 0:0)
ext.spread ON|OFF (currently ON)

pcm is set very high so I can set it, e.g. to 80:80 with this command:
Code: Select all
$ ossmix pcm 80:80

Of course, for 5.1 surround sound one can set different values for the speakers depending on where these are positioned but for 2,1 sound just set the same values for both speakers.
Similarly I can set the rear and center left and right volumes thus:
Code: Select all
$ ossmix center 60:60
$ ossmix rear 60:60

The above settings will result in:
Code: Select all
$ ossmix pcm 60:60
Value of mixer control pcm set to 60.0:60.0
$ ossmix center 60:60
Value of mixer control center set to 60.0:60.0
$ ossmix rear 60:60
Value of mixer control rear set to 60.0:60.0

And I now get crystal-clear sound from all 5.1 speakers and can just use the manual control to turn the sound up or down.
Note 1: For 5.1 sound, it's also necessary to enable "spread." An easy way to do this is just to run the command ossxmix to open the GUI application and mark the box.
*Edit Note 2: I have a headphones set which is connected via the green and pink phono connectors. I'm able to mute the speakers after I plugging in the headphones using the ossxmixer (which I´ve now added to my Gnome Menu): All I have to do is to select int-speaker mode (just below the top right-hand corner of the GUI and select pcm2 instead of pcm1 reesulting in sound only through the headphones. I haven't figured out how to automatically mute the laptop speakers yet. I don´t have USB headphones so I can´t say if this works for them too.
Mate DE & OSSv4.
LaMp, WordPress; ispmail
Debian Stable

Words, as is well known, are the great foes of reality. Joseph Conrad.
Kedaha's Conjecture
User avatar
kedaha
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: 2008-05-24 12:26

Re: Do you prefer ALSA, PulseAudio or Open Sound System (OSS

Postby milomak » 2011-09-20 20:58

kedaha wrote:@milomak: I suppose am an audiophile insofar as I perceive variance in audio quality which many people may not be so sensitive to, so naturally, having tried OSS4, I'm very appreciative of it as well as the technical side. I


well i always lie to try things, so i guess this will be my next project.
iMac - MacOS and Windows 10 (Bootcamp)/ Debian Sid (External SSD)
Laptop (64-bit) - Debian Sid, Win10,
Kodi Box - Debian Sid
milomak
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: 2009-06-09 22:20

Re: Do you prefer ALSA, PulseAudio or Open Sound System (OSS

Postby Mr James » 2011-09-21 02:36

For my setup, with ALSA I get the following issue:
Inability to have two sounds playing at once. If music or a movie is running, a system beep will disable the (any) media player's audio forcing me to restart the (any) media player.

With PulseAudio I get the following issue:
Plugging in a headphone mutes not only the speakers but the headphones as well requiring me to raise the headphone volume each and every time I plug the damn thing in.

Also, audio in Linux is an example of what I would call a mess: OSS, Jack, ALSA, Pulse...
Were I omnipotent, I would have OSS and Jack nuked and reallocated their resources (developers) to Pulse and/or ALSA.
E8400 P5QL 4GB 9600GT 1TB 23" 1920x1080 Debian/Wheezy dwm i386*
* found myself pulling in truckloads of multiarch packages, so...
User avatar
Mr James
 
Posts: 1249
Joined: 2010-09-10 13:02

Re: Do you prefer ALSA, PulseAudio or Open Sound System (OSS

Postby kedaha » 2011-09-21 07:37

Mr James wrote:For my setup, with ALSA I get the following issue:
Inability to have two sounds playing at once. If music or a movie is running, a system beep will disable the (any) media player's audio forcing me to restart the (any) media player.

So sound mixing is not supported? Does this also occur when using pa? What sound card is it?
Mr James wrote:With PulseAudio I get the following issue:
Plugging in a headphone mutes not only the speakers but the headphones as well requiring me to raise the headphone volume each and every time I plug the damn thing in.

Might be that's a precaution against leaving the volume too high so as not to damage the listener's hearing.
Mr James wrote:Also, audio in Linux is an example of what I would call a mess: OSS, Jack, ALSA, Pulse...
Were I omnipotent, I would have OSS and Jack nuked and reallocated their resources (developers) to Pulse and/or ALSA.

Looks like this is happening, certainly in Ubuntu and Fedora, with pa bundled as the default in Gnome 3. I tried pa and was pleased with it and liked the GUI controls but will now use OSS4 on my main desktop because it has resulted in a considerable improvement in sound quality. But, whether one agrees or not that OSS4 sound quality is superior to PulseAudio - (it's a question of trying it and deciding for oneself) now being promoted by those distributions - Debian developers are unlikely to want to ditch OSS4, specially now that the source code is released under the GPL. It is a valid point that the coexistence of alternative systems to some extent can disperse resources but the advantage is that users can exercise freedom of choice in accordance with our preferences.
Mate DE & OSSv4.
LaMp, WordPress; ispmail
Debian Stable

Words, as is well known, are the great foes of reality. Joseph Conrad.
Kedaha's Conjecture
User avatar
kedaha
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: 2008-05-24 12:26

Re: Do you prefer ALSA, PulseAudio or Open Sound System (OSS

Postby qjqqyy » 2011-09-21 07:43

Mr James wrote:For my setup, with ALSA I get the following issue:
Inability to have two sounds playing at once. If music or a movie is running, a system beep will disable the (any) media player's audio forcing me to restart the (any) media player.

With PulseAudio I get the following issue:
Plugging in a headphone mutes not only the speakers but the headphones as well requiring me to raise the headphone volume each and every time I plug the damn thing in.

Also, audio in Linux is an example of what I would call a mess: OSS, Jack, ALSA, Pulse...
Were I omnipotent, I would have OSS and Jack nuked and reallocated their resources (developers) to Pulse and/or ALSA.


OSS implements sounds in a true unix method, without non-unix hacks. Jack gives you low latency, for professional audio. Everything have their target audience.
Image
qjqqyy
 
Posts: 298
Joined: 2011-04-10 11:35
Location: /dev/tty7

Re: Do you prefer ALSA, PulseAudio or Open Sound System (OSS

Postby kedaha » 2011-09-21 07:58

qjqqyy wrote:OSS implements sounds in a true unix method, without non-unix hacks. Jack gives you low latency, for professional audio. Everything have their target audience.

Looking at the preferences so far I see:
Alsa 20
PulseAudio 8
OSS 3
Total votes 31
I wonder if everyone has tried OSS or PA? I voted before trying OSS4. Had I done so, I would definitely have added my vote to the other 3. Maybe the preponderance of Alsa votes is just because it's the defaultt.
Mate DE & OSSv4.
LaMp, WordPress; ispmail
Debian Stable

Words, as is well known, are the great foes of reality. Joseph Conrad.
Kedaha's Conjecture
User avatar
kedaha
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: 2008-05-24 12:26

Re: Do you prefer ALSA, PulseAudio or Open Sound System (OSS

Postby ivanovnegro » 2011-09-21 08:04

I tried Pulse but I admit I voted for Alsa because it is indeed the default and it just works for me, so no need to play with the others and so far I am really satisfied with Alsa. I do not see any difference between Alsa and Pulse on my system.
Though, I did not try OSS.
ivanovnegro
 
Posts: 729
Joined: 2011-06-04 20:06
Location: Valencia, Spain

Re: Do you prefer ALSA, PulseAudio or Open Sound System (OSS

Postby kedaha » 2011-09-21 08:35

ivanovnegro wrote:I tried Pulse but I admit I voted for Alsa because it is indeed the default and it just works for me, so no need to play with the others and so far I am really satisfied with Alsa. I do not see any difference between Alsa and Pulse on my system.
Though, I did not try OSS.

If you really appreciate music - and the Spanish lute indicates you do - then I think you'll note the difference when you try OSS4.
Mate DE & OSSv4.
LaMp, WordPress; ispmail
Debian Stable

Words, as is well known, are the great foes of reality. Joseph Conrad.
Kedaha's Conjecture
User avatar
kedaha
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: 2008-05-24 12:26

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

fashionable