Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Program suggestions

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Replica9000

Program suggestions

#1 Post by Replica9000 »

I just started using Debian, since it seems this distrib is the one I've had the best luck with. I'm trying to get away from Windows, so I'm looking for programs for Debian (or compatable) to replace what I used on Windows.

So far I got:
Nero 6 = K3B
Aim = Gaim
Winamp 5 = Quod Libet (i like the media library)
but would like something similiar that does video .mpg .avi (divx) etc...
DVD Decrypter =
DVD Shrink =
CDex =
AVG Anti-Virus = Found only for Redhat, Alien reads the .rpm but dpkg gives errors while installing
Ad-Aware =
Creative Nomad = Gnomad (can't find mount point)
Paint Shop Pro 6 = Gimp 2.2
CuteFTP =

So any suggestions are great!
Last edited by Replica9000 on 2006-06-25 01:43, edited 1 time in total.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

Re: Program suggestions

#2 Post by Lavene »

These are what I use (except for f-prot since for the time being the virus threat on Linux is practically non-existent)
  • AVG Anti-Virus = F-prot (apt-get install f-prot-installer)
    Ad-Aware = Not applicable in Linux
    CuteFTP = gFTP, KFTPGrabber
Tina :)

bluesdog

#3 Post by bluesdog »

For DVD ripping

acidrip -- ripping and encoding DVD tool using mplayer and mencoder
AcidRip is a Gtk::Perl application for ripping and encoding DVD's. It
neatly wraps MPlayer and MEncoder, which I think is pretty handy, seeing as MPlayer is by far the best bit of video playing kit around for Linux. As well as creating a simple Graphical Interface for those scared of getting down and dirty with MEncoders command line interface, It also automates the process in a number of ways

dvdbackup -- tool to rip DVD's from the command line
dvdbackup will extract all (or optionally only selected) titles as found on the dvd. It will structure the extracted files in a format suitable for burning at a later time with mkisofs and dvdrecord. Has the advantage of being very easy to use, small, and fast.

dvdrip == perl front end for transcode
dvd::rip is a full featured DVD copy program written in Perl. It provides an easy to use but feature-rich Gtk+ GUI to control almost all aspects of the ripping and transcoding process. It uses the widely known video
processing swissknife transcode and many other Open Source tools.

(my personal favourite!) k9copy -- copy DVD like dvdshrink
A small utility which allows the copy of DVD on Linux. The DVD video stream is compressed by the program Vamps.

o Copy without menus :
In this case, dvdauthor is used to create a new DVD structure. It is
possible to choose the order in which the video sequences are played.

o Copy with menus :
As dvdauthor does not make it possible to integrate the original menus, K9Copy reproduces the original structure of the DVD. The navigation packs as well as IFO files are modified to point on the compressed MPEG stream.

(never tried this one) shrinkta -- DVD backup tool
The main objectives of the project are as follows.

o Be able to backup a single DVD movie title to a single layer DVD disk.
o Be able to backup an entire DVD to a similar capacity disk.
o Provide a way to easily master a simple DVD from compatible video and audio streams.

vobcopy -- A tool to copy DvD VOBs to hard disk vobcopy copies DVD .vob files to harddisk and merges them into file(s) with the name extracted from the DVD. It checks for enough free space on the destination drive and compares the copied size to the size on DVD (in case something went wrong during the copying).

You can also mirror the dvd movie content and copy single
files you specify.

For cd-ripping

(this one is really fast!) abcde -- A Better CD Encoder
A frontend program to cdparanoia, wget, cd-discid, id3, and your favorite Ogg/Vorbis, MP3, FLAC, Ogg/Speex and/or MPP/MP+(Musepack) encoder (defaults to oggenc). Grabs an entire CD and converts each track to the specified formats and then comments or ID3-tags each file, with one command.

With abcde you can encode several formats with one single command, using a single CD read operation. It also allows you to read and encode while not on the internet, and later query a CDDB server to tag your files.

(this is command-line program used by abcde) cdparanoia -- An audio extraction tool for sampling CDs
Unlike similar programs such as cdda2wav, cdparanoia goes to great lengths to try to extract the audio information without any artifacts such as jitter.

(haven't tried this one) jack -- Rip and encode CDs with one command
Jack has been developed with one main goal: making OGGs (or MP3s)
without having to worry. There is nearly no way that an incomplete rip goes unnoticed, e.g. jack compares WAV and OGG file sizes when
continuing from a previous run. Jack also checks your HD space before doing anything (even keeps some MB free).

Jack is different from other such tools in a number of ways:
- it supports different rippers and encoders
- it is very configurable
- it doesn't need X
- it can "rip" virtual CD images like the ones created by cdrdao
- when using cdparanoia, cdparanoia's status information is displayed and archived for all tracks, so you can see if something went wrong
- it uses sophisticated disk space management, i.e. it schedules its
ripping/encoding processes depending on available space.
- freedb query, file renaming and id3/ogg-tagging
- it can resume work after it has been interrupted. If all tracks have
been ripped, it doesn't even need the CD anymore, even if you want to do a freedb query.
- it can do a freedb query based on OGGs alone, like if you don't
remember from which CD those OGGs came from.
- freedb submissions

kaudiocreator -- CD ripper and audio encoder frontend for KDE
KAudioCreator is a tool for audio extraction (ripping) and encoding. It can keep your WAV files, or convert them to Ogg/Vorbis, MP3, or FLAC. It also searches CDDB to retrieve the information of the disk.

This package is part of KDE, as a component of the KDE multimedia module.
See the 'kde' and 'kdemultimedia' packages for more information.

(it rips! it slices! it dices!) k3b -- A sophisticated KDE CD burning application
K3b is a GUI frontend to the CD recording programs cdrdao and cdrecord.
Its aim is to provide a very user friendly interface to all the tasks
that come with cd recording.

It can be used to copy CDs and burn:
- audio CDs (from wav, mp3 or ogg vorbis files)
- data CDs and DVDs
- mixed-mode CDs (CD-Extra support)
- VCDs (1.1, 2.0 and SVCD)
- ISO files (Joliet/Rockridge and El Torito support)
- eMovix CDs

(never tried it) ripperx -- a GTK-based audio CD ripper/encoder
ripperX is a graphical interface for ripping CD audio tracks (using
cdparanoia) and then encoding them into the OGG, FLAC, or MP2/3
formats using the vorbis tools, FLAC, toolame or other available
MP3 encoders.

It includes support for CDDB lookups and ID3v2 tags.

sound-juicer -- GNOME 2 CD Ripper
A CD ripper for GNOME 2 which aims to have a simple, clean, easy to use interface.

Antivirus

(We don' need no steenkeeng antivirus! We got Linux!
I would probably use)
clamav -- antivirus scanner for Unix
Clam AntiVirus is an anti-virus toolkit for Unix. The main purpose of this software is the integration with mail servers (attachment scanning). The package provides a flexible and scalable multi-threaded daemon in the clamav-daemon package, a commandline scanner in the clamav package, and a tool for automatic updating via Internet through the clamav-freshclam package. The programs are based on libclamav1, which you can use in your own software.

This package contains the command line interface. It has:
* built-in support for RAR (2.0), Zip, Gzip, Bzip2, Tar, MS OLE2, MS Cabinet files, MS CHM (Compressed HTML), MS SZDD
* built-in support for mbox, Maildir and raw mail files
* built-in support for Portable Executable files compressed with UPX, FSG, and Petite

For scanning to work you'll need a virus database. You have 2 alternatives:
* clamav-freshclam: updates the database from Internet. This is
recommended if you have Internet access.
* clamav-data: for users without Internet access. Isn't updated at all once it's installed. You can easily create your own updated package from an Internet connected computer however, using clamav-getfiles.

For an Ad-Aware equivalent, use Firefox and the Adblock extension

For Creative Nomad, I think once you have the usb mount thing working, Gnomad will do the trick. I don't have a player :(

Paint Shop Pro 6 has nothing on the GIMP!

gFTP is an excellent choice as a CuteFTP equivalent.

Oh, and I prefer xmms as an audio player, but there are many, many alternatives. VLC will play almost anything, including video, .mpg, avi (divx) etc. You just have to make sure all the win32 codecs and things like libdvdcss2 are installed..

Grifter

#4 Post by Grifter »

the best gui ftp client for linux is undoubtedly iglooftp, you can find it if you google, but it's shareware so you'll have to shell out cash for it, otherwise ncftp is my fave (:

for cdripping, apt-get install cdparanoia vorbis-tools

cdparanoia -B, this rips a whole cd, then oggenc -q5.5 *wav, this will compress them, and finally easytag to set their tags

as far as anti-virus goes, you can install f-prot, but it just scans for windows viruses in your files, so it's entirely pointless if you intend to run linux (:

ok, there _are_ viruses for linux, but they all depend on you installing them as root, and if you haven't lost the urge to run untrusted binary code yet, it's really about time

i'd suggest mplayer for all your dvd needs and mpd (with your choice of client) for your music needs
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

Replica9000

#5 Post by Replica9000 »

Thanks for everyone's input.

So far I've tried gFTP, works great

I install ClamAV and abcde and couldn't find them in the menu. Are they gui programs or only commandline?

Oh and I'm also looking for something to replace

Sygate Personal Firewall

ajdlinux

#6 Post by ajdlinux »

ClamAV and abcde are CLI-only, yes.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#7 Post by Lavene »

Grifter wrote:ok, there _are_ viruses for linux, but they all depend on you installing them as root, and if you haven't lost the urge to run untrusted binary code yet, it's really about time
I don't really like the term 'computer viruses' because there are no such thing as a computer virus. It's Microsoft viruses.

There is of course malicious programs for all operating systems, but you can not call a program a virus when you have to really make an effort to install the thing.

But alas... you can always count on peoples curiosity and stupity:
http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp ... =column1_1

Tina :)

Light_Tech

Re: AVG

#8 Post by Light_Tech »

You should be able to install AVG using the .... sorce package (if you will) not quite so easy as a nice DEB package.

Welcome to the OpenSorce Community btw.

Michael

Replica9000

#9 Post by Replica9000 »

How about a replacement for Virtual Sheep, which is a virtual CD-ROM to let me read .iso files like it was in a cd-rom drive

Terje

#10 Post by Terje »

You can mount it like a disk by using (if I remember correctly)

mount -o loop -t iso9660 file.iso /mnt/iso
Registered Linux user number 391283.

Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.

Replica9000

#11 Post by Replica9000 »

Cool I tried mounting my knoppix iso as a test, works great!

How about something I can hop on the Bearshare network for filesharing?

dawgie

#12 Post by dawgie »

If you double click on an iso file in Nautilus, It opens it in Fileroller.

innodonni

#13 Post by innodonni »

Limewire is probably the closest to the filesharing programs available on Windows. However, I would recommend you either a) share files only with people you know and trust or b) use torrents, with a program such as azureus or gnome-btdownload, or bittorrent-gui (or qtorrent if you don't mind KDE programs).
Though why am I saying this! You should search for packages either using a graphical package manager or by using the command apt-cache search. Then check they say they are graphical, perhaps look at their website for some screenshots, and install it. Bear in mind if they don't have menu entries you can make your own and move them to the ~/.local/share/applications directory.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Post by sunrat »

Just a couple suggestions based on apps that I use:

Amarok - possibly Linux best music player/ catalog. The interface is very easy to use. Similar to I-tunes (so I've heard :roll: ) wth support for most installed codecs via xine. I have mp3, ogg, flac, and mp4/m4a files and it plays them all. Also looks up internet for lyrics and artist info. Uses SQLlite for database. Amarok can also work with iPods, and other portable devices.
Grip - great CD ripper for Gnome.
KAudioCreator - excellent CD ripper for KDE, which I use. both have CDDB lookup and can encode to a number of formats.
Kiso - GUI app to view, make, edit or burn ISO files.
KlamAV - GUI frontend for ClamAV with added realtime scan and scheduling etc. 8)

Burnside

#15 Post by Burnside »

Since you asked about personal firewalls Firestarter tends to be the easiest to configure. I'm not sure how it compares to Sygate though. :?

Replica9000

#16 Post by Replica9000 »

I started using Amarok instead of Quod Libet. I love it, kinda reminds me of windoze media player, but 100x better. I noticed after running for about 24hrs the sound seems to stop working, but restarting the programs fixes that, doesnt happen all the time though. Does it play video files?

Some reason I haven't been able to install Xine. Also been looking for codecs for wmv, mov, and real media files. Also looking for the Lame mp3 codec.

I have gnomad installed for my Creative Nomad, it knows the nomad is there, but can't access it.

I think I tried the Firestarter firewall, it crashed everytime I went to apply the configuration settings.

BTW if it matters I use KDE, I don't really care for Gnome at the moment. So does it matter what desktop manager I use for certain programs? Oh for some reason I doesn't give me the choice on which desktop manager I want to be default, how would I do that? Only 1 out of 3 installs has given me that choice.

I'm not on my machine at the moment so this is all I can think of for now.

ajdlinux

#17 Post by ajdlinux »

1. For codecs, use http://debian-multimedia.org
2. For desktop manager, KDM is integrated with KDE so you'll probably want that. To select the default just run dpkg-reconfigure [kdm|gdm|xdm]
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au

Replica9000

#18 Post by Replica9000 »

ajdlinux wrote:1. For codecs, use http://debian-multimedia.org
2. For desktop manager, KDM is integrated with KDE so you'll probably want that. To select the default just run dpkg-reconfigure [kdm|gdm|xdm]
I tried running dpkg-reconfigure kdm

I got the error KDM not installed

So I did apt-get install kdm

ran dpkg-reconfigure kdm again, gave me the choice on GDM and KDM, i picked KDM and rebooted

When I rebooted i got the KDM login screen, typed my user and pass and hit enter, after a second it just returns to the KDM login. After a few attemps I tried logining in from the CLI, and then typed startkde, and got an error. So at the moment i'm back to GDM.

ajdlinux

#19 Post by ajdlinux »

That's weird...

You should be able to select KDE from GDM anyway.
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au

Replica9000

#20 Post by Replica9000 »

I can, but at one time when I logged into KDE it used to give me the option of making it the default desktop if it wasn't already.