Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Iceweasel IS Firefox

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
cynwulf

Re: Iceweasel IS Firefox

#16 Post by cynwulf »

Anyone who dislikes Debian's patching of upstream software, shouldn't be using Debian (or any distro in fact...).

ghostblader

#17 Post by ghostblader »

cynwulf wrote:Anyone who dislikes Debian's patching of upstream software, shouldn't be using Debian (or any distro in fact...).
There are distros with mostly unpatched software.I think Arch is one of them.

cynwulf

#18 Post by cynwulf »

Arch is a rolling release, a lot of their patching (and bugs) will come from new upstream releases - ideal for those who want "the real firefox(tm)". Debian backports bug fixes from later versions with the goal of forming a "stable release". It does this with many packages, not just iceweasel. People notice iceweasel and make a big song and dance about it because they also changed the branding.

ComputerBob

#19 Post by ComputerBob »

cynwulf wrote:Anyone who dislikes Debian's patching of upstream software, shouldn't be using Debian (or any distro in fact...).
Thank you for your ruling, your majesty.
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 23 Million Views
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

62chevy

#20 Post by 62chevy »

Iceweasel works just fine for me on Stable, Sid with Gnome 3 and Sid with KDE 4.8. Adobe Flash is the only thing that gives me problems and that's why I only do manual installs and keep older versions around.

openDNS has never failed me in all the years I've used it. Never!

Google on the other hand is nothing but a company of Thugs. Stop using anything Google and Iceweasel and openDNS will work just fine.
Debian Buster

cynwulf

#21 Post by cynwulf »

ComputerBob wrote:
Yet earlier in this thread, you happily let craigevil's somewhat dictatorial posts go - and followed along in your usual boot-licking style, instantly following the "ruling" even? I wonder why...

So if someone dislikes it when a distro is patching upstream software, the solution is to still use the distro and complain about it on a forum, then install the official upstream software and continue to complain, trying to force your way down everyone's throats...? But no I forgot - it only applies if they happen to change the logo and rename it... then and only then it becomes "different"... :roll:

ComputerBob

#22 Post by ComputerBob »

cynwulf wrote:
ComputerBob wrote:
Yet earlier in this thread, you happily let craigevil's somewhat dictatorial posts go - and followed along in your usual boot-licking style, instantly following the "ruling" even? I wonder why...

So if someone dislikes it when a distro is patching upstream software, the solution is to still use the distro and complain about it on a forum, then install the official upstream software and continue to complain, trying to force your way down everyone's throats...? But no I forgot - it only applies if they happen to change the logo and rename it... then and only then it becomes "different"... :roll:
I very much appreciated that craigevil provided me with new, valuable information, and he was willing to admit his previous mistake. Your posts, on the other hand, provide me with no value whatsoever, and you always take every opportunity to personally attack me with sweeping generalizations that have no basis in fact. Life's too short to waste time reading your rants -- so you're on my "ignore" list from now on.
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 23 Million Views
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

nadir

#23 Post by nadir »

ComputerBob wrote:blah-this ... blah-that
I very much appreciated that craigevil provided me with new, valuable information, and he was willing to admit his previous mistake. Your posts, on the other hand, provide me with no value whatsoever, and you always take every opportunity to personally attack me with sweeping generalizations that have no basis in fact. Life's too short to waste time reading your rants -- so you're on my "ignore" list from now on.
To me it looks like what is commonly known as ass-licking, and you don't miss a chance to do so
(but the wrong asses: craigevil doesn't decide who will be a future moderator, cause he is not in the inner ninja circle).

Stick to what you are good at: reporting posts. But use the email, and you soon can happily watch your color turn green.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

cynwulf

#24 Post by cynwulf »

ComputerBob wrote:Your posts, on the other hand, provide me with no value whatsoever
The feeling is mutual I can assure you.
ComputerBob wrote:you always take every opportunity to personally attack me with sweeping generalizations that have no basis in fact.
False.

Foes list updated.

MarcusW

#25 Post by MarcusW »

cynwulf wrote:Firefox is free and open source. Which means that anyone can download it and compile it. By downloading and building firefox it doesn't make your build of firefox "not firefox".

A lot of other distros also build firefox with cairo enabled, does that also make their firefox builds "not firefox"?

The binaries from Mozilla do not have it enabled as they're built to be as generic as possible.
This.
Also, this!