Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing program not in the Debian Package

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
bcinteractive

Installing program not in the Debian Package

#1 Post by bcinteractive »

I'm just wondering if it is possible and safe and easy to just use the Quanta Plus 3.5 webdeveloper program I downloaded from the Quanta site and install it on my Debian Sarge.

I know I read a lot about apt and I am using Synaptic to install programs -- but I'm not confident about this sort of thing -- my Debian computer is not connected to the internet -- I'm using another computer (from an internet shop to download my applicaitons)

Is there no problem I'm gonna face with this kind of operation?
:) Things Change
:) Just Do It
Heavy Gnome Desktop User

Arnie

#2 Post by Arnie »

What kind of file did you download?
Debian Men
Need instant advice? Get BOFH's opinion

jjmac

Re: Installing program not in the Debian Package

#3 Post by jjmac »

bcinteractive wrote:
>>
I'm just wondering if it is possible and safe and easy to just use the Quanta Plus 3.5 webdeveloper program I downloaded from the Quanta site and install it on my Debian Sarge.

Is there no problem I'm gonna face with this kind of operation?
>>

All things being equal, depends on how you define safe/problem. I'm all for experimenting, modifying but i hope my bank doesn't on their system :).

You might like to do a google on a program called "checkinstall". It compiles well enough, just install it in /usr/local. It's designed to create a package out of a raw tarball src package. It will support deb, rpm and slack packages currently. Iv'e used it a few times without any problems.

Another way is to set the "--prefix=" configure option of the package to "/urr/local" or "/usr/local/pack-name". In the later case it should install neatly into a top directory hanging off "/usr/local". Then you just create symlinks from different places in "/usr/local" to make it visible within the path. Just to keep the system generally neat.

I'm thinking there of a compile rather than a binary package.

As long as there aren't any lib conflicts the only real hassle is keeping track of where it goes.

Don't know if there are any specific issues with the actual program it self though.

jm