Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

esd artsd - what's the point?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Grifter

esd artsd - what's the point?

#1 Post by Grifter »

Like the topic says, what the hell is the point in running esd or artsd? Back in the days of pre-alsa when your sound drivers were OSS and you had one and only one dsp, and had to turn off program A in order to let program B have the soundcard - back in those times I could see the point in having a software mixer like esd or artsd, unfortunately both were really bloody crappy back then so you couldn't use them anyway for anything serious.

Then soundcards (at least the sblives) started coming out which gave you access to two or more dsps in OSS, and finally alsa which gave a far better mixing in the drivers.

No longer were you restricted to one sound at a time anymore. So why do people still bother with silly software mixers like artsd and esd?

What is the point!?
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

DeanLinkous

#2 Post by DeanLinkous »

I have wondered myself how much a sound demon is needed. I do know alsa is suppose to be able handle it but I do not know how well. I also know that sometimes removing sound daemons will actually get sound working with just staright alsa. What I dont know is if some old programs still expect a sound demon so if you dont have one it wont pipe it to alsa.

Of course JACK is suppose to be the answer to all of our sound trouble, it always seemed like the next big thing to me that just never lived up to anything. Jack Crap is about all it is. I never had a problem with esd so I had no idea why I would want jack?

Honestly wonder if it is a case of "this is how we alwasy have done it"?

Grifter

#3 Post by Grifter »

Well I haven't done it, back in the day of OSS if you ran artsd or esd and tried to play a game the sound would always be lagged, sometimes for seconds. Then when you had more dsps it became a moot point, because you could have several sound programs running, and then with alsa you got even more mixing capabilities it became even less than a moot point.

Why mix it in software when mixing it in the hardware is so much better/faster/easier
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

innodonni

#4 Post by innodonni »

Since ALSA now supports mixing for cards with only one channel, the only reason to use these is for sounds when you click things or on error dialogs to make the desktop more friendly to Windows converts.
Something still to be written is a GUI that allows people to take full advantage of all the coolness ALSA has to offer.

ajdlinux

#5 Post by ajdlinux »

Just something to remember: ALSA is the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture. aRts is an abstraction layer, people on *BSD may still need it.
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au

Kaitlyn

#6 Post by Kaitlyn »

ajdlinux wrote:Just something to remember: ALSA is the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture. aRts is an abstraction layer, people on *BSD may still need it.
Correct. I have FreeBSD on another system, and I know it's OSS-based. You can have ALSA with FreeBSD's Linux "emulation", but I don't know what restrictions might apply (probably only Linux apps can use it). It's just a P166 with 128MB, so I've not played with Linux compatibility.
There are those who say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result. I can only observe that those people never had dial-up Internet service. -- Frank Cagle