Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Imagine-Linux (new distribution) based on debian unstable

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
distrohop

Re: Imagine-Linux (new distribution) based on debian unstabl

#31 Post by distrohop »

notthatguy wrote:
Snow Keld wrote: but i agree with those people that always come and say "debian is all ancient outdated software" which is very true in stable, which i really dont think debian stable is a great desktop linux because of this, not that it has no purpose, it is the MOST stable, and i would use it above all else on a server or something.
Thats stupid. I don't buy a car everyday....or a new microwave....or even a new phone....or fifty other things that have newer versions available....
Having the latest version only matters if you actually need something the latest version provides and I rarely find that to be the case....

I tried another distro by some forumer here called refractor or retractor but gave up on it within 5 minutes of use because it's kind of stupid like a kindergarten science fair project or something.

Up-to-date apps (or rolling release model) is a very good idea for a desktop-centric distro and to say otherwise and call it stupid is just... well... really stupid and trollish.

I'll give this one a go and report back. You have my support.

notthatguy

#32 Post by notthatguy »

Snow Keld wrote: i am investigating alternatives to using remastersys...
now that sounds like a winner....

notthatguy

#33 Post by notthatguy »

distrohop wrote:[
I tried another distro by some forumer here called refractor or retractor but gave up on it within 5 minutes of use because it's kind of stupid like a kindergarten science fair project or something.
What did you find stupid about it? Wait, wouldn't you consider it stupid and trollish to say what you did...

You should check refracta now. It has turned a bit more geeky and useful for the advanced user. You might like it.

The 'Aunt Martha' version that I created served a purpose. I think I am going to start it up again since my old refracta version requires a lot of updates. I think I will call it kyloris this time. Be sure to check it out. Oh yea, the purpose.... The purpose of my 'kindergarten' edition was/is to serve the handful of desktop users that I know personally, my father-in-law, my neice/nephews, my kids, my wife(occasional user), my mother, a couple older people that use the desktops I gave them, so on and so forth. So a browser with flash and java is needed, the ability to rip cds, play music and movies, convert music from one format to another, calculator, screenshot, notepad, cd/dvd burning, sound recorder, word processor, maybe a spreadsheet, photo tool and image editor. That pretty much covers everything they do with their computers. Although maybe an email client or maybe not since they all use webmail. They haven't mentioned anything else they do so that is usually what I include.

I personally would like something more geeky but I like to use whatever I install on others computers so I am more familiar with the system and can help them. So I am sticking to my Aunt Martha edition, with skippy-xd for window previews and maybe a few other well hidden tricks for my own enjoyment.

That being said, did you try any other of my custom debian images...the icewm ones...the e17 ones...the unstable based ones...was they all stupid? :wink:
Up-to-date apps (or rolling release model) is a very good idea for a desktop-centric distro and to say otherwise and call it stupid is just... well... really stupid and trollish.
It is a very bad idea if you do not want to be constantly updating. It is not a good idea if you want your computer to be the same as it was last week, month, year. It is not a good idea if you expect everything to 'just work' as it has been doing. It is not a good idea if you are not knowledgeable regarding freeze/release as well as other significant changes that occur.

And once again....the part that was stupid was the idea that everything has to be up to date to be useful. My 1994 mercury capri still gets me from point A to point B and my iceweasel 3.5 still plays my keez...nothing newer needed for me thanks...hell my lawnmower is probably ten years old as well...

First fdn went warm and fuzzy and the butnuts came along....now it seem we all have to go along with everyones opinion or not post...sad....just sad...

dzz

#34 Post by dzz »

5 minutes? It probably takes longer to switch on your machine, open a browser, log in and write a forum post! BTW the correct spelling is "Refracta" Do feel free to write derogatory comments about that which you know almost nothing, this is after all FDN. Feel free also, to refer to a long-term and knowledgable member of the Debian community as "some forumer here"

nadir

#35 Post by nadir »

notthatguy wrote: There seems to be some confusion here lately regarding hostility and being nice and other bullshit. Anyone is free to state an opinion. But it isn't a one way street where you have to go along in the same direction. If someone is free to state an opinion then that means someone is free to state an opinion about that opinion and so on and so on. That is what is exercised on this board or has been in the past. There isn't an agree or don't post rule that I know of. It goes both ways....
Yup.
Not every extended discussion is a flame war neither.
And not everyone who disagrees is automatically a troll.
A bean system was promised, but it did never arrive. Once it is there (and we all know it will be there), it will get worse.

I am trying refracta for ... no idea ... 2 years? no idea ... It is a good project, and it has been a good project from the very beginning.
Especially for a "hopper", which i assume a distrohopper his (say a Dennis Hopper). You could hop twice a day, not only the environment from icewm to a full gnome, but also from a forum to a mailing list to another forum, in case Dean was in a fury.... that sure was fun (it still is, but different, less chaotic fun).
I did not say it is not kindergarten, and i would not care if it was.
LInk: http://www.ibiblio.org/refracta/
and in case anyone wonders: no, i am not (really) involved. If anything i am the guinea-pig ( it says "nadir's forum", but that only means that i did make the account at freeforums, nothing more. It is the refracta forum.)

To make it, both paragraphs above and my general idea, short:
Put the fun back in computing: Playfulness (clever? good. not clever? good too).
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

fsmithred

#36 Post by fsmithred »

@Snow Keld:

Go for it. You'll learn a lot from it, and if you end up with a userbase of 2 people, counting yourself, it'll be worth the effort.

upstart: why? Isn't Debian moving to systemd?
i486: Are there any desktops that still require this? My P166MHz died many ages ago.
twm: Thank you for including it! It's an old favorite.

refractasnapshot vs. remastersys: Your comment about them looking the same prompted me to look at remastersys. They look very different from my biased point of view. Yeah, they serve pretty much the same function - make a live-cd from your system. I'm still playing with remastersys, so I don't have a final opinion on it yet.

I booted imagine_12-02_dev3.iso in virtualbox and installed it. The installer hung on os-prober testing my swap partition. I finally killed it and rebooted into the installed system with no problems. Ran 'remastersys backup' and made an iso. Got some errors like this:
"sed: can't read /home//home/remastersys:/.config/Thunar/volmanrc: No such file or directory"
It also looked in /home/remastersys/.config and /home/Desktop/.config.

Tried to boot the iso in vbox, and it hangs at solid white bar. Booting into failsafe mode, it drops to busybox after premount scripts with the error message "panic Unknown filesystem type on /dev/loop0 (/live/image/live/filesystem.squashfs).

@noththatguy: dean-clone? How many clones of him are running around? Kyloris: booted the iso in vbox but didn't spend much time there. Anything in particular you want tested?

dzz

#37 Post by dzz »

i486: Are there any desktops that still require this?
Unless I got this wrong , the other kernels in sid are pae or 64 bit. My single-core athlon won't boot any but the 486

refractasnapshot vs. remastersys: I used remastersys a lot a couple of years back. Although it supports Squeeze now it is originally from an ubuntu background. The forums were not always friendly, if a post was made beyond "what is supported here" which was decided by one man only. There seemed little interest in anything experimental, sid was taboo ("unsupported", full-stop).. Talk of modifying the scripts got a very defensive response;. "you are on your own" was made clear. For a time, part of the support forum became paid-subscription exclusively. However, the application itself is basically good. I finally gave up because grub2, which I didn't want to be forced to use, was made a dependency.

By contrast refracta (-snapshot and installer) is done as an unofficial Debian community project in a spirit of openness; technical discussion on the extra scripts and the build itself gets a friendly welcome in their forum (it also works very well)

adenukolnis

#38 Post by adenukolnis »

fsmithred wrote:@noththatguy: dean-clone? How many clones of him are running around?
Even one is too many. :D I think I will call the scripts clone and installer and be done with it. Maybe...
Kyloris: booted the iso in vbox but didn't spend much time there. Anything in particular you want tested?
Actually, I can't think of much. Heck it is debian stable so it should 'just work'. The kids already informed me I missed some of the needed gstreamer plugins. I also need to add in a couple more apps that I missed.

I would like to know how well skippy-xd works on other systems. So if you get a chance to hit the logo (windows logo) and see if that works I would appreciate it.

nadir

#39 Post by nadir »

adenukolnis
Any perl-guru out there who is able to write me a little script which will give ma all possible options of a given array of characters? adenukolnis in this case... doing it manually each time a user with a strange name arrives is a wee bit exhausting. I got a strong suspicion, a very strong one... :wink: (adonis_colognis would of been more of my taste ...)

end chat.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

fsmithred

#40 Post by fsmithred »

Code: Select all

aptitude show  linux-image-3.2.0-1-686-pae
<snip>
This kernel requires PAE (Physical Address Extension). This feature is
supported by the Intel Pentium Pro/II/III/4/4M/D, Xeon, Core and Atom; AMD
Geode NX, Athlon (K7), Duron, Opteron, Sempron, Turion or Phenom; Transmeta
Efficeon; VIA C7; and some other processors. 
I believe it's the replacement for -bigmem kernels.

adenukolnis

#41 Post by adenukolnis »

nadir wrote:
end chat.
I guess I should of capitalized AdenUkolnis so it would look more like a name.

And actually I am descended from Johannes Heinrich Linckorst who was from Weißenborn-Lüderode, Germany or at least he was back in the mid 1700s How is that in regards to your taste :wink:

Snow Keld

#42 Post by Snow Keld »

if this post is at all sloppy its because i am writing from my phone.

i see this topic has turned into quite a debate.

686-pae is a replacement for bigmem. although pae seems much better.

on one of my original trial runs of the os months ago i gave it to a friend on usb and it ran 686. his laptop could not run it. so now i make all images 486. it says on the front page of my sourceforge page to install 686-pae if your hardware supports it.

also the tool i am trying to use now is a very well put together set of bash scripts. the person that made it offered to help me work on my project as well.
i cant give links or anything cuz im on my phone and dont have them.

the next release should have the installer working well, likely will use upstart, and a few minor fixes i have found and others pointed out.

Snow Keld

#43 Post by Snow Keld »

fsmithred wrote:@Snow Keld:
upstart: why? Isn't Debian moving to systemd?
i have done my research since i read this.

systemd here i come :)

next release WILL use systemd.

i will have a new release by the end of this month.

remastersys will not be used.

also, anyone interested in how i am planning on running the project in the future. once/if i have a DEDICATED user base (a few helping with development) of about 20 people it will become a community driven project and any decisions will be decided by popularity and not solely by me.