Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

A BIG THANK YOU FOR DEBIAN

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
jbennet

A BIG THANK YOU FOR DEBIAN

#1 Post by jbennet »

I am a student and was looking for a free or low cost os to replace my windows 98 instillation so i looked to linux. I have tried may distruibutions but none really took my fancy or ran too slow / had problems with my laptop but when i tried debian testing it worked great!

Thank you debian!

One question though, NO versions of ubuntu install ok on my thinkpad but all debians do - why?

Grifter

#2 Post by Grifter »

Magic.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

HyperY2K

#3 Post by HyperY2K »

what kind of thinkpad do you use?

jbennet

#4 Post by jbennet »

r30 - the biggest pain in the arse for installing linux on ever. (PC-BSD Works fine though......)

HyperY2K

#5 Post by HyperY2K »

which problem occurs with ubuntu?

jbennet

#6 Post by jbennet »

its not just ubuntu, its other distros too. Ubuntu (version 5 i think - the non graphical installer one hang at 86% detecting hardware) and the newest one hung at about 75% installed.

SuSE could detect either the cdrom (with irqpoll) or the sound card (without irqpoll) but not both at the same time.

FC hates the gfx card and mandriva has issues with acpi as apparenty the ACPI in the bios is screwed and needs flashing. howeveer, to flash you need a 100% charged battery pack. My laptop is circa 2000 and the laptop is long gone and the cost of getting a new one is more than the machine is worth.

It also hattes XP , 2000 and NT4 presumably for the same reason

In short, it hates all oses apart from:

PC Linux OS
Debian Etch (possibly sid am upgrading now)
Windows 98
PC BSD (for some reason, net, open and free dont work but this does)

jbennet

#7 Post by jbennet »

oh yeah, fc1, slackware 10 and stuff with the older (2.2?) series of kernels was fine