Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

best FS for notebooks?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Jazz

best FS for notebooks?

#1 Post by Jazz »

I use an iBook G4. Which file system would help my battery last its longest?
"Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window."
~Steve Wozniak

anystupidassname

#2 Post by anystupidassname »

It doesn't look like any pariticular file system is going to make much of a difference.
You'd see a much better improvement by switching to a solid state HDD.

You can, however, make some changes with "hdparm" (for example set spin-down timeouts) and "Mobile Update Daemon" to improve power consumption.

As far as your original question, a file system with wandering logs like reiser4 perhaps and "notail" enabled would be your best bet.

BLASTER_

#3 Post by BLASTER_ »

I've used reiserfs3 for my G3 ibook since it became stable for PPC, and never had a problem in 3+ years with it.

One thing however is Darwin and OSX can read ext2, (ext3 is just ext2 with a journal applied and a read only mount wouldn't cause a problem reading an ext3 drive.)

So if you did ext3 and HFS+ you could read (write?) on any drive in a dual boot configuration. If I had to redo mine, I'd use ext3.