Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

The new testing

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
newmarket

The new testing

#1 Post by newmarket »

I was just wondering that since Etch is meant to go stable sometime this year, does anyone know what the new testing will be called?

Thanks,

James

jonandtice

#2 Post by jonandtice »

If I understand things correctly, the new testing would be the previous unstable (sid), I could be wrong on that. My question is what will the new unstable be called.
Jesus would have used Linux

SillyMary

#3 Post by SillyMary »

I don't use debian that long, but I read somewhere that unstable is always called Sid. So that would mean that testing is going to get a new name.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#4 Post by Lavene »

Yes, Sid will always be Sid. It will never be released as such. As for the names they are all taken from the movie "Toy Story". What the next testing will be called I don't know but if you have seen the movie you can atleast make an educated guess ;)

http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-ftparc ... rcodenames

Tina

ajdlinux

#5 Post by ajdlinux »

BTW for those who haven't seen Toy Story: Sarge is the leader of the green plastic soldiers, Etch is the Etch-A-Sketch toy where missions etc. are displayed for them, and Sid is the boy who lives next door and breaks toys (unstable :) )
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au

Harold

#6 Post by Harold »

ben

#7 Post by ben »

Perhaps Wheezy the Penguin, or Evil Emperor Zurg, lol.
Last edited by ben on 2006-08-29 05:19, edited 1 time in total.

jonandtice

#8 Post by jonandtice »

OK you guys are right sid is always unstable, that's what happens when you don't do your research... So unstable is sid becuase he's the kid who always breaks things. That makes sense although the only thing I've had broken in sid so far was xfce4's xfdesktop. For about a day I couldn't run xfce4 until there was another update available. I don't remember if it was a bug or dependency problems though.
Jesus would have used Linux

SpEcIeS

#9 Post by SpEcIeS »

I never knew that the names were taken from Toy Story. Absolutely fascinating. :lol:
SpEcIeS

Debian: Jessie
Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64

ajdlinux

#10 Post by ajdlinux »

The reason behind the Toy Story names was that Bruce Perens, who was Debian Project Leader at the time of Debian 1.1's release, worked at Pixar.
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au

jjmac

#11 Post by jjmac »

And when they say 'unstable' they really mean it too.

Even 'testing' builds can be total hassles to do. I'm amazed at the number of times i fetch a policy set from the ftp site and find broken scripts :)

I think they do it on purpose sometimes, just so it dosen't go all frivolous. But that might just be me. :)

jm

http://counter.li.org