Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Nvidia users: Do you use the Free or the proprietary driver?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Do you use the nvidia driver, or the nouveau driver?

Nvidia
74%
Nouveau
26%

Total votes: 72

dust hill resident

Nvidia users: Do you use the Free or the proprietary driver?

#1 Post by dust hill resident »

Nvidia users, Do you use the Free/open source driver, or the proprietary one?

I've been using Nvidia cards since 2006, and up until a few days ago I had been using the proprietary drivers. This month I started having problems with suspend, and Nvidia's driver seemed to be the cause. So I decided to try the nouveau driver for the first time, and it's working well.
I have noticed that the performance isn't as good (lower framerates in minecraft for example), but it's certainly working well enough for my needs.

What have your experiences been?

roseway

Re: Nvidia users: Do you use the Free or the proprietary dri

#2 Post by roseway »

I use the proprietary driver at present, but not because I really need it. A recent conflict with Flash (people with blue faces) has made me consider again changing over to nouveau.
Eric

Bulkley

#3 Post by Bulkley »

Over many years I have gone through several video cards, Nvidia, ATI, whatever. A few years back I got fed up with proprietary drivers; they caused me too much trouble. I no longer use them. I'm sure there have been improvements but watching threads on this forum tells me that proprietary drivers are still problematic. The only advantage I can imagine of proprietary drivers is a slight edge when playing some 3D games.

julian516

#4 Post by julian516 »

Nouveau is gaining ground, I think. At this point nVidia still seems to give me a more reliable power-management, especially with regard to suspend-resume. If I am typing my nVidia driver seems to write to the screen more quickly than the Nouveau.

But the difference is not so dramatic as it was two years ago. At this point if the installation of the nVidia driver is not straight-forward or that driver causes problems I would go over to the Nouveau version.

dark_stang

#5 Post by dark_stang »

I only use the nVidia proprietary driver. I think Nouveau is making progress, but it has a way to go before I can actually use it.
if (You_Dont_Care_Enough_To_Reasearch_Your_Own_Problems)
return "Why would I?";
else
return Helpful_Response;

dasein

#6 Post by dasein »

^^ What he said.

Although I have to admit that I've quit "tracking" nouveau's progress, which seems painfully slow. It's been what... four years now? And it's still not-quite-ready-for-primtime

pendrachken

#7 Post by pendrachken »

Bulkley wrote:Over many years I have gone through several video cards, Nvidia, ATI, whatever. A few years back I got fed up with proprietary drivers; they caused me too much trouble. I no longer use them. I'm sure there have been improvements but watching threads on this forum tells me that proprietary drivers are still problematic. The only advantage I can imagine of proprietary drivers is a slight edge when playing some 3D games.
And VDPAU, playing 1080P x.264 content @1-5% CPU is awesome.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

mystika1

#8 Post by mystika1 »

I have been using Nouveau for several months now with no issues. I am not a gamer though, but I do stream tv and movies over the net. I have no plans to change.

Penny

nomko

#9 Post by nomko »

I always use the x-swat ppa for Nvidia drivers. Always worked very well.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
http://sites.google.com/site/debianlinu ... gssysteem/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Do not send me private messages, they will be deleted without reading

Pablo_Esc

#10 Post by Pablo_Esc »

Proprietary, because using nouveau results in more heating from the GPU in my laptop.
If it was on pair I'd be using nouveau as the 3d speed is not my priority.

jezzivi

#11 Post by jezzivi »

Code: Select all

Proprietary, because using nouveau results in more heating from the GPU ...
+1

Tadeas

#12 Post by Tadeas »

Proprietary, because it works :P
Because let’s face it, the unfortunate aspect of software development is that it involves humans. Mewling, disorganized, miserably analog humans. Sometimes they smell bad.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

nomko wrote:I always use the x-twat ppa
:roll:
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

otegotrician

#14 Post by otegotrician »

When nouveau can run GoogleEarth as well as the nVidia drivers, I will jump ship faster than the passengers on the Titanic. :P
Warning, failure messages in Linux are lies!...................If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

woteb

#15 Post by woteb »

Nouveau on my Acer Aspire 9300, recent got from a friend. Last I tried Mepis 11 on that laptop with the Nvidia drivers but I got a moving stripes of about 2 pixels on the top of the screen and any window of an open programm wich I couldn't remove. With Nouveau no problems with the screen and no stripes at all.
My only problem is that I only get a 32 bit Debian (+ Mint, Ubuntu, OpenSuSE) working on that laptop and no 64 bit. Then Nouveau is the problem.
Laptops: HP 250 G6 i3 7th gen + Lenovo: Debian Testing XFCE
HP based chromebooks: Debian Testing and other variations
"The simple reality of the matter is that Debian is essentially the backbone of Linux - for all practical purposes."

phenest

#16 Post by phenest »

Proprietary.

I haven't got a problem with closed source drivers. So long as they work well, and nVidia do provide excellent drivers. My ancient 7950GTX kicks ass with their drivers playing games such as Sauerbraten (over 120 fps in HD).
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

62chevy

#17 Post by 62chevy »

Nvidia. Stable has the 295.49 driver installed with the nvidia installer. The upgrade to Wheezy I'll convert to DKMS to make updates easier. Sid with KDE uses DKMS but not on my Sid with Gnome that has the 302.07 drivers.

My router uses the nouveau drivers.
Debian Buster

adenukolnis

#18 Post by adenukolnis »

I have never used the nvidia drivers....

of course I only had one nvidia video (4000?) card and I only used it for a while to run the 'television' anyway....

mmix

#19 Post by mmix »

my 2nd old com has nvidia, and always get trouble with nouveau.
so i am using nvdia driver from nvida.com.

my main com has intel onboard vga.

Gunman1982

#20 Post by Gunman1982 »

Brothers laptop: nvidia since nouveau seems to be unable to control the GPU fan which results in an overheated emergency poweroff after 5-10 minutes of use.
Other brothers laptop: uses nvidia since he actually wants to be able to play some 3d games.
My Laptop: nvidia since I game a lot and fiddle around with cuda. Have to use the "experimental" 304.22 driver though since the ones in SID sometimes freeze (probably the hang on opengl.fork which is allegedly fixed in 304.22). Hard to reproduce that freezes though since it only happened for me with 2 games in wine after variable timespans and one time while playing that strange java game where you swing a pickaxe.